Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading the Solaris 42 1975 AEOLUS

Default Upgrading the Solaris 42 1975 AEOLUS

solaris_plan_cotemodified.jpgHello everyone.

We have had a lot of fun this last months with our Solaris. I have learned that we bought her overpriced. Now we are ready to do many serious upgrades, in cosmetics, electronics, refrigeration etc. We are going to paint her with Allgrip, with a black Antifouling, 1 1/2 inch white, 2 inch Gold (which goes with the golden mast and mizzen), 1 1/2 white, then deep blue on the rest of the hull, and another inch of white just before the wood in the deck. The deck is going to be Snow white, framing the antiskids which will be a light tone of gray everything on Allgrip.
    Before she is painted and while the old paint is being scratched to the gelcoat we plan to modify the hull. I have little knowledge about this. With this message am attaching a picture of what we want to modify, that being shown in RED. Could someone with knowledge tell me his impressions please.
    Last edited by Ozmultis; 9th November 2014 at 11:40 PM. Reason: At request of poster

Default Re: Upgrading the Solaris 42 1975 AEOLUS

I dont know enough about solaris to really comment, but I cants see any issue with the transom extension, I am however wondering about the mini keel mod?

I am however wondering about the mini keel mod?[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your responce. We have found that when sailing it has very little rudder authority, so the idea is to make the rudder larger.

Quote Originally Posted by eribrucet View Post
    I am however wondering about the mini keel mod?

Thank you for your responce. We have found that when sailing it has very little rudder authority, so the idea is to make the rudder larger.[/quote]

Is it an issue when motoring as well? If it is only when sailing maybe the sails are not balanced, this can be quite difficult on a ketch.

Also extending the length of the keel would probably make things worse, is there anyway to increase the depth?

The stern mods will increase your waterline length and reduce the area of immersed transom, both good things, an increase in rudder area should help at low speeds, but please don't lengthen the low aspect ratio keels. You'll increase the "tramline" effect, probably making the boat 's turning circle larger and tacking more difficult. Are you trying to reduce leeway? A slight increase in the keel depth would probably be more effective, otherwise leave the keels as they are (IMHO).

Quote:
    but please don't lengthen the low aspect ratio keels. You'll increase the "tramline" effect, probably making the boat 's turning circle larger and tacking more difficult. Are you trying to reduce leeway? A slight increase in the keel depth would probably be more effective, otherwise leave the keels as they are (IMHO).[/QUOTE]

Thanks for all the kind help and attention to my posts.

We are not going to lengthen the low aspect ratio keels anymore thanks to your help. The idea was to protect the propellers with the keels extensions to cotrarrest drag.
    (Someone much more knowledgeable than myself and with ample experience did this to his monohawll 36' Islander and augmented its overall speed by one knot after making this mod. He agrees not to do it this time.

We dream to be the proud owners of one of the better kept specimens for our own pleasure.
    For our family, layout is something very important. When choosing our boat, the Solaris 42 general layout, specially saloon and galley in contrast to many modern catamarans ... robbed our hearts (taking into account price ranges of course).

For those in love with our kind of boat and kindred spirits, , We share some of the most important upgrades we are doing on AEOLUS:

*Complete paint job as mentioned in the previous message.
    *Built a 250 cu/l =9 cu/foot refrigeration unit.
    *500 amp/hrs batteries
    *Adding another 500 watts in solar panels
    *An additional wind generator.
    *Complete Interior Teak and Holly flooring (used to be carpeted)
    * We changed the starboard head to a LAVAC vacuum head which is the best and simpler (I got tired of explaining and being the official flusher to our guests).
    * Hulls are being extended in the transom by 4 +- 5 feet with stairs incorporated.
    *The propellers have to be changed. A past owner probably changed the originals, and the engines are over propped. They don't run faster than 2000 rpm when on gear (Should be 3200 rpm). They must have motor sailed a lot.
    *Whatermaker will be installed in may next year when in the US.
    *We had a brand new navy blue bimini made for the cockpit + a nice ultra fast easily removable bimini water collector with hose attachments for the complete deck/stern ambient.
    *Placed an easily removable table on the stern that can be either be placed next to the Mizzen, or facing the new couch mentioned below
    *An aluminum framed cooler 5 people couch is being built to place in the transom.
    *We have a former AmericaŽs Cup sailing competitor, custom designing and making new sails, which include a more efficient main, jib, mizzen + a new reefing + storm sale, with complete sail cotrol from the protected cockpit. We hope weŽll be capable to point into the wind and tack a little more efficiently this way.
    *Bought a Caribe 11 foot dingy with glass hatch incorporated. (The one that came with the boat was disguised by a fairly new cover.
    *A new comfortable armchair is being installed at the helm.

*Everything on interiors: Blinds, curtains, embroided towels with the boats name etc etc are being made.

*Upgrading rigging etc etc.

When all jobs are finished, hopefuly by december the first, weŽll make a video to share it with our friends.

Thanks again for all your help

all of that in a month?? or did you mean next Dec.

Hi David!
    Most of the things on the list have already been done in the last couple months. We hope we can start sailing on the first days of december

That will be very exciting. Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by eribrucet View Post
    Hi David!
    Most of the things on the list have already been done in the last couple months. We hope we can start sailing on the first days of december
    Well done so far by the sound of it. I look forward to your pics/video, - please

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

'Estrella del Sur' is currently on the hard in Fort Pierce, Florida for hurricane season.

Welcome to the forum and wow, you do have extensive plans for upgrades. I too will be interested in pictures as the work progresses. Who is doing your hull extensions?

Brad

'Estrella del Sur' is currently on the hard in Fort Pierce, Florida for hurricane season.

Eribrucet, if you have not already had your hull extensions designed and installed, you may wish to look the ones that were done by Alan Crabtree on his Solaris 42. There are pictures and line drawings commencing at about post 90 in the 'Solaris Owners of the World Unite' thread.

I must say that I share the expressed concerns about keel extensions, although see nothing wrong with the hull and rudder extensions. If the rudder extensions are made sacrifical (ie., leaving the skegs at the current length), then contact with the rudders below the skegs should not cause steering failure. If you extend the leading edge of the rudders in front of the skeg, it would also allow you to have partially balance rudders, which should ease steering and load on an autopilot, etc. This is the rudder design on the Solaris Sunstream 40 (partial skegs with an slight extension forward of the rudders below the skeg). It works very well.

Brad
    Last edited by Southern Star; 20th November 2013 at 05:22 PM. Reason: 2 signatures

Hi. Although we finished most of the works mentioned, and went to Utila and Roatan recently, we have been working extensively again, mainly... changing both engines... This boat was mainly full of makeup when we bought her, but now we are getting close to a complete makeover. I share one pic for now. I'll post more pics in a couple of days. Take care!

Glad to hear that you are underway and look forward to your photos.

Brad

Hi friends. A little in the future, but this are some pics. The last one is a great discovery,! Lobster fried on cocunut oil!

Take care!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (157 Bytes, 88 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (157 Bytes, 82 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (157 Bytes, 78 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (157 Bytes, 79 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (157 Bytes, 80 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (157 Bytes, 91 views)

Sorry, no pictures. There are notes posted by various people, eg Karen, on how to get them to work until such time as Paul can get the ISP to put it right.

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Thank you. In the mean time there are some pics in Facebook... AEOLUS CATAMARAN

Don't know if it's any help to you, but we modified our keels and rudders on a Voyage 500 and can find photos on the Voyage section of this forum. It has exceeded what we thought we would achieve from the mods. Stretching your transforms has got to be a good thing.
    L&N

Thanks for the picture, she looks fantastic. Well done!

Brad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast