Thread: Marina Del Sur Las Galletas Tenerife

Default Marina Del Sur Las Galletas Tenerife

Marina Del Sur – Las Galletas – Tenerife
    We stayed here between Nov 2008 and February 2009.
    Pricing
    Catamarans are charged by the square meter. Charges were high at €0.31/msq/day. Although they will do a deal as we were offered a 6 month contract at €0.21/msq/day before we left as they weren’t very busy.
    Navigation
    Simple entrance to starboard after rounding large blue control tower at the end of the marina. When approaching at night the green light at the end of sea wall is very difficult to pick out against street lights behind until quite close. Contact marina on VHF 09 when approaching. Marineros will guide you to your berth. Mooring is stern-to with lazy lines.
    Security
    There are no locked gates on the pontoons but security seems very good. Marineros are very observant and will check your lines daily when you are away from the boat. It felt perfectly safe to walk around at night.
    Area
    Las Galletas is a tourist area with a couple of black sand beaches but without the amusements and tackiness of Los Christianos. There is a decent selection of restaurants along the prom beside the marina and in the main pedestrian area of the town only 5 minutes walk away. There is a lack of typical Spanish type restaurants and most of the food is based on the package tour brigade so chips with everything. There is a fish market at the entrance to the marina and a restaurant beside which serves whatever has been brought in that day which is excellent although a bit run down in appearance. The bus services are excellent and very cheap. The airport is only 15km away and is around €20 in a taxi.
    Provisioning
    There are a number of 24 hour small supermarkets within 2 minutes of the marina but for serious provisioning you need to go out of town. There is a large Spar around 1 mile from the marina which is easily walked but a long way when loaded with shopping. If you need to provision for offshore I would advise to hire a car and go to the large Mercadona near the airport.
    Services
    There are a couple of hardware stores in the pedestrian area of town which seem to stock everything DIY but not necessarily marine. The nearest chandler’s is in Los Christianos 10km away. There are no lifting facilities or boatyard as such but minor repairs can be done by Clubsail (an English sailing school within the marina). There are lots of dive schools also based in the marina who are quite willing to do any underwater jobs for a very reasonable fee. Although there are fuel pumps at the marina but during our stay they had no licence to sell it.
    General
    The marina is brand new and only opened officially in late 2007. Facilities are good and well maintained. The marina though is subject to swells in a southerly gale. Try and moor on a west facing pontoon rather than east and the normal NE winds will tend to blow you off the pontoon rather than on. Some very minor damage was sustained to the transom on Tulliana during a severe storm in January when we were back in the UK. There are two office staff who speak very good English and the Marineros can also speak a little. If you have an external Wi-Fi antenna you can pick up a number of unsecured signal from the marina but Wi-Fi is not supplied.

Telephone: 0034 922 141 769
    Fax: 0034 922 783 621
    Email: info@puertosdeportivoscanarios.com
    Last edited by Tulliana; 21st May 2009 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Contact details

Default Marina Del Sur Las Galletas Tenerife Images

Here is a panorama link to this marina
    Click For Image and Panorama
    Safe Sailing
    Paul
    Blog: www.suliere.com

Default Re: Marina Del Sur Las Galletas Tenerife

There is also a webcam on the marina which is available here: -
    http://www.arona.travel/portal/turis..._principal.jsp

If the link doesn't work for you Google "Las Galletas webcam" and it normally comes up as the first result.
    Last edited by Tulliana; 17th April 2009 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Link problems

Default Re: Marina Del Sur Las Galletas Tenerife Bird's eye view

Safe Sailing
    Paul
    Blog: www.suliere.com

Aldora Guest

Hi,
    We are new members, but avid cat people. We are currently in Greece, heading for the Canaries with our Outremer 45, and three kids. We have sailed west-about from the east coast of the USA. I was interested in you post, but have been unable to find a number, or e-mail for Marina del Sur. Do you have one? Thanks, Kerri

Quote Originally Posted by Aldora View Post
    Hi,
    We are new members, but avid cat people. We are currently in Greece, heading for the Canaries with our Outremer 45, and three kids. We have sailed west-about from the east coast of the USA. I was interested in you post, but have been unable to find a number, or e-mail for Marina del Sur. Do you have one? Thanks, Kerri
    I will add it to my report.

Telephone: 0034 922 141 769
    Fax: 0034 922 783 621
    Email: info@puertosdeportivoscanarios.com

Just outside the harbour you can anchor, (sand/5-6m) right next to the hotel which sits on the rocks E of the harbour.
    Dont forget to watch the whales if you sail to La Gomera, i think they are always there.
    Well and dont forget that the wind in the channels of all the islands is going up almost double than normal.
    Helmut