Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: request for info tri vrs cat

Default Re: request for info tri vrs cat

Quote Originally Posted by dabbler View Post
    Want2Hulls,

I am planning to be at the Miami Boat Show from Saturday thru Monday and will be spending some time looking over your new NEEL 45. I am in the market for one as well. I am looking forward to meeting you.

I owned a Corsair 24MKII folding-trimaran for several years on Lake Michigan and loved every minute I was sailing. I lost it in a divorce but I am planning to get back to full time sailing this summer and eventually on my own NEEL 45.

I had a discussion with Gregor Tarjan regarding the NEEL 45 and he indicated that the NEEL 45 has a greater living area than his Alpha 42 and was recently in France sailing the last 45 of 2013. That may have been your NEEL 45.

BTW, you may have to change your user name to "have3hulls". LOL
    Unfortunately we can't make it to the show, so you will have a chance to check it out before I do! NO SHOES PLEASE! .
    I would love to hear what you think! We are already committed! I think it is a great boat in concept and execution. Compared to a lot of the cats out there, we thought Eric's guys do nice work. Fiberglass, arrangement, attention to detail etc.

Gregor could have been on ours, though technically we have a 2014 hull. They were doing sea trials in December. Must have been fun!

Quote Originally Posted by want2hulls View Post
    Unfortunately we can't make it to the show, so you will have a chance to check it out before I do! NO SHOES PLEASE! .
    I would love to hear what you think! We are already committed! I think it is a great boat in concept and execution. Compared to a lot of the cats out there, we thought Eric's guys do nice work. Fiberglass, arrangement, attention to detail etc.

Gregor could have been on ours, though technically we have a 2014 hull. They were doing sea trials in December. Must have been fun!
    Where will you take delivery if not Miami? I am also looking at the only NEEL 50 that is for sale in Ft. Lauderdale during the same trip. I too have been very impressed with NEEL's design and concept. He certainly has a stellar reputation in his boat building capabilities and a true love of the trimaran platform.

I have been the type of person that seems to gravitate to great designs and functionality. Currently have been touring the US during my vacation time in a Vixen 21TD motorhome. I have included a link that you may find interesting.

http://hooniverse.com/2013/07/01/buy...-the-vixen-21/

This is an article on my Vixen from a car show I attended last summer. Again, Congratulations on the new NEEL 45.
    Last edited by dabbler; 2nd February 2014 at 08:12 PM.

I like that 50 AMA arrangement, especially the storage in the back. Not too sure about the sail handling though, it isn't clear how the in cabin halyards work. I like the volume of that boat. But, I really liked the 45 for the layout, speed and looks.

Quite a ride you got there. I can see the delorean in the front end.

btw

Our Neel will be in Annapolis and the Abacos for the next few years till we are able to jump ship permanently. We are doing some mods once we get it here in the next 2 weeks or so. Should be ready for some serious weekending starting in April.

btw

Our Neel will be in Annapolis and the Abacos for the next few years till we are able to jump ship permanently. We are doing some mods once we get it here in the next 2 weeks or so. Should be ready for some serious weekending starting in April.

Is your NEEL 45 headed for charter service? What mods are you planning? Sounds like your NEEL will have some serious miles on her when she finally reaches Annapolis. Did you visit the factory in La Rochelle prior to your decision to purchase?

Yes, she will be up for charter in annapolis. You can keep an eye on her at Vcharter.com. New Picts will be forth coming ( when we get her).

We are adding a gen set, ac, galvanic isolator, electrical system, chart plotter, AIS, and all the accessories typically wanted on a cruising boat. I hate to add the weight of all of that, but most folks won't charter a larger boat without AC on the Chesapeake.

I expect some time on the engines, but figure every boat here in the states is in the same situation lagoon, leopard, voyage etc all sail quite a distance to get here. I like the seaworthyness that comes from a bot that is delivered on it's own bottom.

We did not visit the factory, but were kept well informed of the progress via pictures. We had the opportunity to, but frankly, I am no expert and figured the cost ( time and money) were better used elsewhere. Not sure if anyone has actually influenced the factory. Pictures were sufficient in my mind. Maybe that is foolish? I don't know
    We did go through the previous year's boat with a fine tooth comb without others onboard. that was the boat that was at the 2012 annapolis boat show. At the time I was impressed with the fit and finish (quality of the glass in the unexposed places, arrangement of the systems.

considering the one we went through was basically a second generation trimaran ( I count the 50 as the first). Ours has even changed from that one. Lighter laminates, uniform floor height, slight mods to the sail plan, modification in interior layout. Like I said before, we did as much research s possible prior to our decision. I'll be honest, we wanted something faster than the standard cats without the tight spaces on a performance boat like a Catana. I was very tempted by FP as a tradeoff in performance vs interior but I really don't like the interior fit and finish.

Since we are not ready to leave for good, we will have some time to shake out the neel. I know FPs a little better and could have held off a bit longer to pick up a used one.

I should also mention that I am not enthusiastic about the handling of a cat. But trimarans make sense to me I a lot of ways. Worth the extra quid to us.

I should also mention that I am not enthusiastic about the handling of a cat. But trimarans make sense to me I a lot of ways. Worth the extra quid to us.
    I plan to spend a significant amount of time on your boat on Saturday. I plan to purchase one in the next 2-3 years and perhaps by that time there maybe a few used ones on the market. Even if it comes out of a charter, I don't have any issues with doing any repair work on my own.

NEEL has been promoting your boat has having a "new interior" and I suspect there will many people that will be anxious to see the next generation of NEEL 45 interior design / form and function.

I will post pics here sometime after my return, with your approval of course. Thanks for the link of the charter service. I will certainly be following along.

Again, Congratulations on great choice for a new generation of trimaran.

Comparisons are very difficult unless you are being very specific - for example a performance cat and tri of similar length.

In this case, the tri would go to windward faster and higher VMG than the cat. However, it would be heeled over quite a bit more (performance tri - remember). The tri would have significantly less accomodation, but be more costly in a marina berth due to being much wider. Downwind performance would be similar, with the cat just a little faster and more comfortable.

As you move more towards the cruising/comfort area of boat design, these differences will remain, but not be so marked.
    Insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results

Our Neel made it to Miami a few days ago. Regarding performance, from La Rochelle, it was 5000 sailing miles in 25 days. 200 miles per day average. From what I hear that is pretty good. I understand that cats typically average 140 to 160 per day. Does that sound right?

Yep 200 miles per day is more than adequate. In fact very very good over such a long distance. I take it that included no motoring whatsoever.

And NO Cats typically dont average 140-160, mainly cause there is no such thing as a average cat. However if we looked at 45 foot cats, and decent one should be able to match the performance of a Neel. Indeed I would suspect that O45 and some good custom designs would easily exceed that. At the end of the day its not about the number of hulls, its about the sail area, displacement, wetted surface, etc etc.

Dont worry to much if the Neel is better than a cat or not. You have one you like it and it does 200 mile days, I'd be happy and content with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozmultis View Post
    ---- 500 miles per day is more than adequate. ----
    LOL. Yep, not bad for a cruising boat.
    Great typo Oz.
    Sail Fast Live Slow

Quote Originally Posted by dabbler View Post

NEEL has been promoting your boat has having a "new interior" and I suspect there will many people that will be anxious to see the next generation of NEEL 45 interior design / form and function.

I will post pics here sometime after my return, with your approval of course. Thanks for the link of the charter service. I will certainly be following along.

Again, Congratulations on great choice for a new generation of trimaran.
    Hey there DABBLER
    Wanted to see what you thought. She will be in Annapolis shortly ( probably end of next week) pending the current weather and ice situation on the bay.

Regarding the trip. I understand the boat has 320 hours on the engines between checkout and the 25 day, 5000 mile journey. So, 10 kits average did include some amount of motoring. Not sure if it was motor sailing or simply motoring. They were on a tight schedule to get it to the Miami boat show in time.

Regarding the trip. I understand the boat has 320 hours on the engines between checkout and the 25 day, 5000 mile journey. So, 10 kits average did include some amount of motoring. Not sure if it was motor sailing or simply motoring. They were on a tight schedule to get it to the Miami boat show in time.
    320 hours is 13 days motoring this seems an awful lot for 1 trip, are you sure you got this right, that's the equivalent of about 2 years engine use. How much fuel does she carry?

Hey there DABBLER
    Wanted to see what you thought. She will be in Annapolis shortly ( probably end of next week) pending the current weather and ice situation on the bay.
    Want2hulls,

Your NEEL 45 is a true work of functional art! The color choices of UV sail covers, cushions, cabinetry, flooring and wall covers, not to mention the contrasting light grey on the amas is all very well done. I will be making plans to arrange a charter sometime in the near future on your specific boat.

After close inspection, I could not find any issues or concerns with the build quality or any defects or damage. Eric has been promoting the charter service that your boat will be listed with.

FYI, I spent an hour on the original NEEL 50 and it was comforting to see the origins of the NEEL 45. The 50 is entering its 4th year, still young, and is holding up to the tests of time. I suspect that the 45 will be a great performer for many years to come. It will be interesting to see how well she holds her value in the future.

I will post some pics of your NEEL 45 tomorrow from the show.

Great to hear. Thanks for the feedback. We weren't exactly sure how it would turn out aesthetically. I think the boat does make a lot of sense and hopefully it will hold its value well over the long run.

I do see from this and other forums that some folks are "less than enthusiastic" about the looks. "Spaceship" is often used. The more I checked into them, the more I liked the looks and layout. I will be interested to see how they change the layout for this year.

The boat is currently sitting in South Carolina waiting for a weather window to get up through the Chesapeake. Unfortunately there appears to be another cold front coming our way Tuesday or Wednesday.

However great it is, it is definitely not an ice breaker!

Ah - so the 200 mile days is based on motoring over half the time. Not quite as impressive, 320 hours is mor than I have on my boat, and I have owned it nearly 5 years and sail it a lot year round.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozmultis View Post
    Ah - so the 200 mile days is based on motoring over half the time. Not quite as impressive, 320 hours is mor than I have on my boat, and I have owned it nearly 5 years and sail it a lot year round.
    Yes. That is a little more than I would have thought. But as I understand from many of the other builders that sail on their own hulls, that these kind of numbers are typical for deliveries to the states...FP, leopard, lagoon. My guess is that a delivery is just that... Get the boat to the location. Time is money under these conditions.

Maybe some other new boat buyers could chime in?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12