Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MC30 or MC37 a reasonable Caribbean live-aboard for two?

Default MC30 or MC37 a reasonable Caribbean live-aboard for two?

We are considering buying a larger boat and are considering a Maine Cat. We have looked at a couple of MC30's and have called about the MC37 coming out in 2014. We don't want to buy more boat then we need and have two questions. The effective live aboard space on a MC30 compares to what length monohull? Would the MC30 make an effective live-aboard in the Caribbean for two people? Thank you.

Default Re: MC30 or MC37 a reasonable Caribbean live-aboard for two?

Quote Originally Posted by grasspack View Post
    We are considering buying a larger boat and are considering a Maine Cat. We have looked at a couple of MC30's and have called about the MC37 coming out in 2014. We don't want to buy more boat then we need and have two questions. The effective live aboard space on a MC30 compares to what length monohull? Would the MC30 make an effective live-aboard in the Caribbean for two people? Thank you.
    Hello grasspack and welcome. It would help if you can give a bit more information.For example, do you favour a minimalist life style with hardly any facilities on board. Or do you wish to live in a more civilised way with a washing machine, fridges/freezer, decent cooking, air con, hot and cold water, sufficient space for books/magazines/cd's/general supplies/spares and for stretching out comfortably.

Once you have worked out your requirements or preferences then the choice will probably become obvious.

Also for live aboard cruising, longer will always be more comfortable than shorter, budget permitting.

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Its an open bridgedeck cat. Even the 41 isnt what many would call an ideal liveaboard. While I dont think washingmachines are important to liveaboard life, some degree of privacy and security is. On the other hand itnmight be the perfect boat for you. We spend a fair amount of time inside as well as out so for us we like a nice salon and galley. On the mc your cook will be secluded andnstuck for the most part, in one of the hulls.
    On the other hand nice and well ventilated

Its an open bridgedeck cat. Even the 41 isnt what many would call an ideal liveaboard. While I dont think washingmachines are important to liveaboard life, some degree of privacy and security is. On the other hand itnmight be the perfect boat for you. We spend a fair amount of time inside as well as out so for us we like a nice salon and galley. On the mc your cook will be secluded andnstuck for the most part, in one of the hulls.
    On the other hand nice and well ventilated
    I wouild think a 30 mc would equal about a 37 mono at least.

Thanks for the feedback. Since we have not lived aboard a boat for longer than 2 weeks it's difficult to conclude what we would like. We believe we would lean more toward the minimalist side of things. We are fairly convinced after measuring all the pros and cons that we prefer the open bridgedeck. We currently sail the Maine Coast on a IP27 so we are not used to frills and although we would like more space we do not need a 40 foot catamaran. We would rather have less stuff and leave sooner. I think the space on a MC30 would be fine but may need to add tankage and possibly some thing to make it a little more comfortable. I see lots of MC30s in charter businesses but curious if anyone is doing any serious cruising on one. What we know is we want a fairly fast catamaran that is 38 feet or less, most likely with daggerboard(s), and an open bridgedeck.

Sorry for th double post. I get your wanting a fast cat, notnsire the load carrying capabilities of the mc. I know smaller cruisers mean carrying more. I know geminis can turn some decent speed but again loaded they slow down. A Seawind 1000 may be a better alternative i know they truly perform well. Start adding in little things like ac, reefers, watermaker, icemaker, solar, dive and fish gear etc itnstarts to add.up. A12+ knot can become a 7-8 knot boat real fast so may be better to get a slower better load carrying cat. Just my 2c !

Quote Originally Posted by grasspack View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Since we have not lived aboard a boat for longer than 2 weeks it's difficult to conclude what we would like. We believe we would lean more toward the minimalist side of things. We are fairly convinced after measuring all the pros and cons that we prefer the open bridgedeck. We currently sail the Maine Coast on a IP27 so we are not used to frills and although we would like more space we do not need a 40 foot catamaran. We would rather have less stuff and leave sooner. I think the space on a MC30 would be fine but may need to add tankage and possibly some thing to make it a little more comfortable. I see lots of MC30s in charter businesses but curious if anyone is doing any serious cruising on one. What we know is we want a fairly fast catamaran that is 38 feet or less, most likely with daggerboard(s), and an open bridgedeck.
    Living on board is very different to holidaying.

Minimalist or not I would suggest that an open bridge deck cat is not suitable for living on board long term. The drudge of getting stuff from the other hull in the middle of the night or during extended periods of rain and wind when everything is wet becomes very intrusive. It rains a lot in paradise and you may have to go rather than stay in which case sailing an open bridge deck cat in foul weather really is no fun at all. An open bridge deck will severely impede you desire to go when ever and where ever you want.

There are smaller (30-35ft) boats that are much better equipped for full time cruising without being expensive or laden down with stuff. Consider some of Richard Woods designs, Sagitta 30, Eclipse 32, 38 and Banshee or Norwegian TRT or some of the Eric Lerouge designs or the Seawinds (although with the cabin open at the back there could be security issues in some areas).

My guess is the people trying to talk you out of an open bridgedeck cat for a live aboard have little experience with them. We've owned two Seawind 1000's, one a canvas topped open bridgedeck and the other standard hardtop version. We've also sailed quite a bit on a MC 30. The MC 30 has a large bunk and good sized head in the starboard hull, and a large galley, smaller bunk and small dinette to port. Could be very suitable for a couple cruising and living aboard. The bridgedeck area is very large and live able. The statement about getting wet in the rain is absolutely wrong. With the hardtop and the surrounding clears the bridgedeck is very waterproof. No worries traveling in the rain or going from one hull to the other. They perform well, but the only worry i have is their ability to carry the live aboard load and still perform. I cant think of a more fun boat to sail than the open bridgedeck as there is no bridgedeck cabin to look around. If you can keep the weight of I say YES!

Quote Originally Posted by smj View Post
    My guess is the people trying to talk you out of an open bridgedeck cat for a live aboard have little experience with them. We've owned two Seawind 1000's, one a canvas topped open bridgedeck and the other standard hardtop version. We've also sailed quite a bit on a MC 30. The MC 30 has a large bunk and good sized head in the starboard hull, and a large galley, smaller bunk and small dinette to port. Could be very suitable for a couple cruising and living aboard. The bridgedeck area is very large and live able. The statement about getting wet in the rain is absolutely wrong. With the hardtop and the surrounding clears the bridgedeck is very waterproof. No worries traveling in the rain or going from one hull to the other. They perform well, but the only worry i have is their ability to carry the live aboard load and still perform. I cant think of a more fun boat to sail than the open bridgedeck as there is no bridgedeck cabin to look around. If you can keep the weight of I say YES!
    And for what it's worth I totally agree with SMJ ON ALL HIS POINTS.

We seriously considered a Seawind1000 at one time. Living aboard and vacationing are defintly two completly different things. The Open bridgedeck designs have alot of open space and great vis forward. Living aboard in Florida it would be miserable in the "hot"months unless you can AC this area. I guess alot depends on where you live/ cruise. We have had wind 20knots+ over the last week or so, in our boat we dont hear it at all or the rain, its nice and quiet. Being a light sleeper I dont think I could deal with an OBD design without sleeping downstairs, and their berths seem small for two avg sized. Plus for privacy it would get old having cloths hanging down or covers on the Isinglass. In an area with nice temps, and good breezes it might be great. They are both great boats but picture yourself onboard for a long time you may want a little more privacy without having to hang stuff to cover or walk into the hulls to get it. If all we did and planned to do were day -2-3 week trips and not live aboard, you can bet your A$$ Id have a seawind. As it is, we live aboard and we love our current boat but cruising plans are expanding as is our crew count, and wife wanted a 38 leopard. So much for going sooner,,,,,,

I have only seen these boats on the web but I think the MC 41 is a fantastic liveaboard. Self tacking jib and all the hardware under the hardtop means really easy warm and dry single handed sailing. If you can afford one then buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by smj View Post
    Nope, owned an OBC for 6 years and sailed on 2 other OBCs, great fun but c*!p to live on.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyEnding View Post
    We seriously considered a Seawind1000 at one time. Living aboard and vacationing are defintly two completly different things. The Open bridgedeck designs have alot of open space and great vis forward. Living aboard in Florida it would be miserable in the "hot"months unless you can AC this area. I guess alot depends on where you live/ cruise. We have had wind 20knots+ over the last week or so, in our boat we dont hear it at all or the rain, its nice and quiet. Being a light sleeper I dont think I could deal with an OBD design without sleeping downstairs, and their berths seem small for two avg sized. Plus for privacy it would get old having cloths hanging down or covers on the Isinglass. In an area with nice temps, and good breezes it might be great. They are both great boats but picture yourself onboard for a long time you may want a little more privacy without having to hang stuff to cover or walk into the hulls to get it. If all we did and planned to do were day -2-3 week trips and not live aboard, you can bet your A$$ Id have a seawind. As it is, we live aboard and we love our current boat but cruising plans are expanding as is our crew count, and wife wanted a 38 leopard. So much for going sooner,,,,,,
    I absolutely agree with the vacationing/live aboard statement. I think that the living aboard statement should be broken up into two categories. Living aboard and cruising on the hook and living aboard in a marina. If you plan on living aboard in a marina then no doubt the bridgedeck cabin boat would probably be a better option. More privacy and the option to be able to air condition the boat full time are definetly pluses. If your talking living aboard on the hook, no doubt in my mind the open bridge deck is superior. The bridgedeck cabin boats get extremely hot inside during the summer. The open bridgedeck almost always has a cooling breeze with the forward windows open. Trust me we've owned both and there's no doubt the obd is far superior in natural ventilation. The salon table on the Seawind 1000 folds down to make a true king size bed. True luxury with the windows open in the summer! I never will and never have wanted a boat with a generator and air conditioning, so natural ventilation to us is one of the major factors we look for when choosing a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Nope, owned an OBC for 6 years and sailed on 2 other OBCs, great fun but c*!p to live on.
    What kind of OBC did you own? If the design didn't take advantage of a large hardtop and opening clears around the sides then I would probably agree with you. I think it all depends on what you envision doing with the boat and what you consider cruising to be. I would rather own a beach house than cruise on a condo cat from marina to marina.

Quote Originally Posted by victor View Post
    And for what it's worth I totally agree with SMJ ON ALL HIS POINTS.
    Happy Holidays to you and your family Victor!

Quote Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
    I have only seen these boats on the web but I think the MC 41 is a fantastic liveaboard. Self tacking jib and all the hardware under the hardtop means really easy warm and dry single handed sailing. If you can afford one then buy it.
    We viewed a 41 and while it was an impressive great boat, we felt our 32 was more suitable to living aboard.
    A gemini might be a better option sailing performance is better or equal to a MC30, and it is better equipped to life aboard, SMJ, you used to have one so you could elaboarate more on this.
    Last edited by HappyEnding; 23rd December 2013 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Living on board is very different to holidaying.

Minimalist or not I would suggest that an open bridge deck cat is not suitable for living on board long term. The drudge of getting stuff from the other hull in the middle of the night or during extended periods of rain and wind when everything is wet becomes very intrusive. It rains a lot in paradise and you may have to go rather than stay in which case sailing an open bridge deck cat in foul weather really is no fun at all. An open bridge deck will severely impede you desire to go when ever and where ever you want.

There are smaller (30-35ft) boats that are much better equipped for full time cruising without being expensive or laden down with stuff. Consider some of Richard Woods designs, Sagitta 30, Eclipse 32, 38 and Banshee or Norwegian TRT or some of the Eric Lerouge designs or the Seawinds (although with the cabin open at the back there could be security issues in some areas).
    You know it sir. I had a open bridgedeck Woods Scylla 36. While a entertaining-fast -and fun boat, it was a chore to go from hull to hull- head in one hull-galley in the other we used to cellphone between crew when it was raining.

Buy a new Woods Eclipse 32 from Boatsmith and you have perfect small fast ocean going cruiser that will cost no more than a used M30

I have spent a lot of time "boat camping" on a friend's MC 30. It's a great boat for short term and the bridgedeck is not an issue when on the hook. For longer term living aboard it has a couple of significant limitations. One is that it has a very small holding tank. If you are cruising in a place like the keys you'll be looking for a pumpout every couple of days. Water tank capacity is also pretty small. It does not have a lot of weight carrying capacity, so long term cruising in remote areas can be a bit iffy. We sailed for many years on his boat and decided that we needed a boat with more capacity for living aboard, so we bout the Endeavourcat. I'll grant that it's not as pretty as the MC and as there are more things to break, so more things break (minimalist is not all bad).

We appreciate all the feedback. In total it gives a good balanced view. For us the areas of most concern would being able to carry enough supplies for reasonable periods of time while maintaining good speed. Tankage is also a concern and adding tanks would add additional weight. We like the OBD, we like the outboards, we like the speed, we like fewer things to break. Possible the MC37 will provide the additional load carrying capability and performance combination we are looking for. Other option from the suggestions we have see are the Seawind 1160, Norwegian TRT, the Chris White 42s, and if it were smaller the Outremer 55 light. I don't know much about them but like the Privledge39. Not sure how it performs. I have been on the Geminis and although they have plenty of creature comforts I don't like the beam.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast