Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: MC30 or MC37 a reasonable Caribbean live-aboard for two?

Default Re: MC30 or MC37 a reasonable Caribbean live-aboard for two?

Maine Cat is now offering opening glass windows. They say they can fit it to any new or existing MC 41. All the windows open.
    http://www.mecat.com/maine-catamaran-news/74

Edit: Pic won't load because it is too high a resolution, but it is there in the link.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by grasspack View Post
    I believe the MC 38 is going to allow up to twin 25hp outboard.
    Any idea what kind of speed under power that would provide? All things considered, the extra weight to go from 9.9 to 25 to 60 hp yamaha high thrust engines isn't that much. With a boat that should sail in the teens it would be nice to power at 10-12.

Anyone ever put 25s on a MC30 or seawind 1000? Much extra bang for the trouble?

I believe 9.9's are the limit on the physical dimensions where the engines are mounted on the MC30. I am not sure if that is a limitation on the Seawind 1000. I would guess that many MC30 owners would like twin 15's and twin 25's should do a nice job on the MC38.

Quote Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
    Maine Cat is now offering opening glass windows. They say they can fit it to any new or existing MC 41. All the windows open.
    http://www.mecat.com/maine-catamaran-news/74

Edit: Pic won't load because it is too high a resolution, but it is there in the link.
    Err. Isn't this a non open OBC.

The Yamaha 9.9 is a very good cat motor. it has low gearing and can swing a large prop. It also comes with a 25" long shaft which can also be fitted with a 5" extension. The 15s, 25s 30s, 40s don't have 25" shafts and have higher gearing with smaller props optimized for higher speeds. On our new 48' cat we are using two Yamaha 70 4-strokes.These are 20" shafts with 5" extensions. They are low geared motors. The bot weighs 12,000 lbs(i hope) and we are expecting 10-12 knots cruise with 15-16 wot. The weight is 260 lbs each. We have 102 gallons of fuel. We will launch in 3 weeks and quit thinking and know.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark424 View Post
    Any idea what kind of speed under power that would provide? All things considered, the extra weight to go from 9.9 to 25 to 60 hp yamaha high thrust engines isn't that much. With a boat that should sail in the teens it would be nice to power at 10-12.

Anyone ever put 25s on a MC30 or seawind 1000? Much extra bang for the trouble?
    I think at a certain point you need more torque than just hp to make it motor faster, I could be wrong, and dont mind if someone corrects me on this. Our old endeavour cat had a 25hp Honda on it, we found a deal on a 40 hp efi honda, We didnt gain any top speed, and could still only motor at 7 knots. Though we could sail at 7.5-8.9 in 15+ knots of wind. Hit 11.7 under barepoles in 68 knots once.
    The almost double hp made no difference in speed under power, and looking at some of the sail/power cats (kit kat) with twin 115hp can get to 20 knots. not sure that a single 60 hp would make that great of a difference given how much fuel burn your going to have.

You are wrong......they are related by way of a mathematical formula. You may argue the torque curve is more important but that torque curve is relative to the Given HP and thus more HP more torque!

Quote Originally Posted by HappyEnding View Post
    I think at a certain point you need more torque than just hp to make it motor faster, I could be wrong, and dont mind if someone corrects me on this. Our old endeavour cat had a 25hp Honda on it, we found a deal on a 40 hp efi honda, We didnt gain any top speed, and could still only motor at 7 knots. Though we could sail at 7.5-8.9 in 15+ knots of wind. Hit 11.7 under barepoles in 68 knots once.
    The almost double hp made no difference in speed under power, and looking at some of the sail/power cats (kit kat) with twin 115hp can get to 20 knots. not sure that a single 60 hp would make that great of a difference given how much fuel burn your going to have.
    I'm sure others have more expertise, but the reason you need torque is to turn a bigger prop. The prop of a 200 HP trawler at 7 knots is not the same as a 200hp bowrider going 30. Presumably that's why Yamaha makes the high thrust line. I can't find the spec on whether they can handle a larger diameter prop. But certainly have a higher gear ratio to put more torque into a prop designed to push harder at slower forward speeds. That's why your bigger engine didn't give you more speed, wrong propane the one you needed may not have fit.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234