Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MC30 or MC37 a reasonable Caribbean live-aboard for two?

Default Re: MC30 or MC37 a reasonable Caribbean live-aboard for two?

The MC 30 is perfectly able to cruise the Caribbean with a crew of two. Pump outs shouldn't be a problem as everyone pumps directly overboard in most places? But if it is you can go to a composting head. No holding tank needed. The 54 gallon water tank may seem a little shy at times but I'm sure water is plentiful in the islands. And if not maybe a watermaker. I prefer smaller boats as they are easier to handle as well as easier on the pocket book. Only you can determine whether the MC 30 is a big enough live aboard for the two of you and judging from the other boats you mentioned budget shouldn't be a problem. Also look into the Seawind 1000, one of my favorites, obviously.

Smile Re: MC30 or MC37 a reasonable Caribbean live-aboard for two?

Money is certainly a factor today. Work 20 more years to normal retirement and money is not a problem....but that's not very interesting. We have set a window of 5-7 years out that should allow us to purchase something between a used MC30 or Seawind through a lightly used 38-40 foot catamaran and 10 years of modest cruising kitty without touching retirement. MC41 is possible but seems like more than we need. We will take a look at the Seawind 1000, and I tend to agree with you that we could make the MC30 work for us. Maine being where we grew up, we are a little partial to Maine built boats. Neither of us require a lot of pampering except warm waters and beautiful views. Not sure about crossing oceans yet. Would have to convince the bride. Although, we see a MC41 is chartering out of the French Polynesians....that does sound nice. When we first started to gaining interest in catamarans out dream was an owner's version Lagoon 38. After several years of chartering and a lengthy discussion with a very experienced captain of a Shuttleworth in Grenada our wish list has changed significantly. Also, sailing a very sturdy and comfortable but slowwwww Island Packet 27 has shaped our view on speed. Feels like I am insulting the favorite family pet. Looking forward to making a decision and owning our first catamaran.

We could certainly build an Eclipse and would very much like to.......but not for less than the price of a used MC30. I think that an open bridge deck catamaran is not a very good solution to a nice cabin at the end of a dock in a marina. For sailing and cruising in warm waters it is stupendous. If one like to sail and indeed sail with friends and family the obc provides an experience that can't be reproduced in a catamaran that has a house built at the fwd end of the cockpit. It allows everybody to see where you are going and the turtles and dolphins etc. It also allows great ventilation and 360 views at anchorage. The cockpit and deckspace of an obc are wonderful. I am prefer an obc but understand that this is not the best solution for everybody, especially those living in a marina, working, or those who really want a cabin and the fact that it sails is cool.

We could certainly build an Eclipse and would very much like to.......but not for less than the price of a used MC30. I think that an open bridge deck catamaran is not a very good solution to a nice cabin at the end of a dock in a marina. For sailing and cruising in warm waters it is stupendous. If one like to sail and indeed sail with friends and family the obc provides an experience that can't be reproduced in a catamaran that has a house built at the fwd end of the cockpit. It allows everybody to see where you are going and the turtles and dolphins etc. It also allows great ventilation and 360 views at anchorage. The cockpit and deckspace of an obc are wonderful. I am prefer an obc but understand that this is not the best solution for everybody, especially those living in a marina, working, or those who really want a cabin and the fact that it sails is cool.

Quote Originally Posted by boatsmith View Post
    Thanks David, couldn't have been said better.

Not sure where the cabin at the end of the dock comment came from. We are looking for a perfect balance of cruising/performance catamaran for the caribbean. We intend to run a daysail charter from Nov to May and possibly sail down toward Grenada in the offseason. We will see if Dick can come up with the perfect combination of with the MC37. It is a good list of recommended catamarans to consider. Liked the photos on your website Boatsmith.

We are a MC 41 owner, have been so for 1 season. We have owned and raced monohulls as well as chartered enclosed bridge deck cats in the Caribbean. Respectively, I would question the wisdom of anyone commenting on the OBD design who have never owned one as they simply are very different. A few points to share, for 40' catamarans and smaller....the cabin is really quite small and cramped when the top side is cut into thirds (Tramps, enclosed cabin and back deck/steering station). The OBD combines the back 2 areas making this a decent size living space for a boat of this length. (Think chopped up 50+ year old home designs vs. today's open concept). The comment on privacy seems silly....it is no different that windows and blinds. Again, think of an old home with smaller and fewer windows - poorly lighted and limited view. New home designs....lots of widows, lots of light...lots of view and in this case 360 degrees. We added lexan for the front half of the boat and they are wonderful. Clarity of glass and they can be unzipped, flipped up and fastened to the roof. Putting these up or down is a 2 minute job. If you need black out privacy, put up a blind (a 2 minute job). You can'y add portholes or windows after the fact. MC's are sailboats...and they sail well.....upwind too! If this is important to you be aware that the condo cats are comfy like home and sail like as house as well. These "home" designs are really downwind boats. Final point, your Maine Built reference - these are built to a quality that does not exist in high volume production boats. I put 1200 miles on our boat this past season and I am, and continually find very logical, practical design aspects on the boat and the build quality is simply on a different level. Dick is truly interested in building a quality product for "real" people.

Hope this helps.

I think to each their own, everyone has their own idea of comfort and what they want. To us we wouldnt go without the safe and secure feeling of having an actual Salon, Cabin area without having to live within the hulls to feel safe and secure in extreme cold, (hey it gets down in the 20's here once in a great while) while living aboard. I do not think we could get that same feeling in an obd design. We have great visibility forward on both cats, (soon to be 1) and an enclosure as well for the cockpits. While I would love to have MC 41 performance, We are more than happy with what we do have. We have been in two MC41's and our new LEopard 38 is parked right behind one currently until we move her. Comparing the two is night and day, and I still prefer our layout. My wife and I really enjoy beign able to see 360 degrees around us while cooking, She doesnt enjoy galley down at all, and on movie night its nice to snuggle on our couch and relax, If someone were contemplating bbuying a obd design I would Highly suggest they charter one prior to purchasing something they may not potentially like long term.

Happy Endings, do you have any experiance with obd cats? If not maybe you should try to charter one. You may actually like it!

Quote Originally Posted by HappyEnding View Post
    I think to each their own, everyone has their own idea of comfort and what they want. To us we wouldnt go without the safe and secure feeling of having an actual Salon, Cabin area without having to live within the hulls to feel safe and secure in extreme cold, (hey it gets down in the 20's here once in a great while) while living aboard. I do not think we could get that same feeling in an obd design. We have great visibility forward on both cats, (soon to be 1) and an enclosure as well for the cockpits. While I would love to have MC 41 performance, We are more than happy with what we do have. We have been in two MC41's and our new LEopard 38 is parked right behind one currently until we move her. Comparing the two is night and day, and I still prefer our layout. My wife and I really enjoy beign able to see 360 degrees around us while cooking, She doesnt enjoy galley down at all, and on movie night its nice to snuggle on our couch and relax, If someone were contemplating bbuying a obd design I would Highly suggest they charter one prior to purchasing something they may not potentially like long term.
    My point exactly. For some folks the emphasis is on enjoying the outdoor sailing water life experience and for some it is the kitchen and couch. Both valid points of view.

Quote Originally Posted by smj View Post
    Happy Endings, do you have any experiance with obd cats? If not maybe you should try to charter one. You may actually like it!
    I do, actually, and even with a fairly decently made enclosure felt I would never be comfortable long term. Even the owner feels the same way, but they didnt buy it for ,longterm, they like to entertain large groups, day trips etc, and do a few multiple week long trips each year.
    It is excellent for what they bought it for. In their opinipon and mine.

I do, actually, and even with a fairly decently made enclosure felt I would never be comfortable long term. Even the owner feels the same way, but they didnt buy it for ,longterm, they like to entertain large groups, day trips etc, and do a few multiple week long trips each year.
    It is excellent for what they bought it for. In their opinipon and mine.
    What make was it. And did you sail on it as well as stay for a week or so? Just having cocktails at the dock doesn't count! There's no doubt the built for charter cats have a more home like feeling. But then they also sail like a house. There's also no doubt that the obd cats aren't for everybody but neither are the built for charter cats.

Quote Originally Posted by boatsmith View Post
    So you're saying the experience of vieweing dolphins from under the hardtop of the OBD cat is better than that off the trampoline or cockpit of a cat with a "House built at the forward end of the cockpit" as you so eloquently put it?
    We sail regularly with friends / family/ couples and take several trips a year, and I can honestly say that with 3 couples aboard our 32 AMI, were more comfy than we all would of been in inclement weather (cold, stormy, too hot, etc) for a week if we had been on a OBD. But hey thats just us, besides now that I think about how awesome is that that if you had 3 couples on an OBD and someone needs to go potty in the middle of the night your privacy is pretty much gone. as is the couple whos forced to sleep on the bridgedeck berth.
    I could go on, but why,,,its everyones own preference but I am not stooping to calling OBD cats anything bad, just that for us it is not desireable. Many "Cats with large cabins on top", Sail well by the way

SMJ it was a Voyage 45, one of 2 built with the large hardtop not an actual cabin, and if we didnt thin it would be fun to live aboard in the short term, why would that change for the long term
    I did like the Seawind 1000 and would have been willing to try it, I knew we could sell it easily if it didnt work out, the Wife did not she would have no part of it.
    Last edited by HappyEnding; 3rd January 2014 at 12:58 AM.

Default Re: MC30 or MC37 a reasonable Caribbean live-aboard for two?w

We lived aboard a variety of different cats for over 20 years. We owned a few different standard bridgedeck cats. We also owned an Edel 43 which would probably be best described as a pod cat. Which means the bridgedeck cabin is separate from the hulls. We also owned two Seawind 1000's. One a true canvas topped obd and the other the standard hardtop. No doubt, when you work all day there's nothing better than coming home to a bridgedeck catamaran tied up to the dock with the Ac on. For the beauty of sailing and living aboard on the hook obd wins. The Seawind with the hardtop was somewhere in the middle. You still get the 360 degree visibility while sailing of the obd and some of the privacy of the bridgedeck cruiser in one. My biggest complaint with the bridgedeck cabin cat is while sailing, only the helmsman enjoys the sail as everybody else is in the cockpit looking at a big wall. On the Seawind, you could seat 12 people comfortably in the salon and bridgedeck salon, all with a 360 degree view and all could carry on conversation with each other while sailing. There's no argument here, it's all a matter of opinion.

SMJ you do bring up valid points, I do admit that it was nice on out endeavourcat that everyone could see where we were sailing to,That was nice even with the Front glass down, (thanks for jogging my memory) on our AMi it has huge forward windows although they are in the forward staterooms, on very cold days, the prior owners would sit in one or the other and enjoy the view while using the remote control for the Autopilot lol.
    On our new boat (leopard 38) it has nice visibility soif you want to enjoy the inside, (even AC ) while underway you still have a very nice view. It also has an extremely well laid out cockpit, and well laid out trampolines , seats forward, and very easy access forward. For us it is a perfect blend of everythign we wanted in a cruising cat.
    Yes would be nice to blast along at double digits, but 7-8 knots in moderate wind suits us just fine!

SMJ you do bring up valid points, I do admit that it was nice on out endeavourcat that everyone could see where we were sailing to,That was nice even with the Front glass down, (thanks for jogging my memory) on our AMi it has huge forward windows although they are in the forward staterooms, on very cold days, the prior owners would sit in one or the other and enjoy the view while using the remote control for the Autopilot lol.
    On our new boat (leopard 38) it has nice visibility soif you want to enjoy the inside, (even AC ) while underway you still have a very nice view. It also has an extremely well laid out cockpit, and well laid out trampolines , seats forward, and very easy access forward. For us it is a perfect blend of everythign we wanted in a cruising cat.
    Yes would be nice to blast along at double digits, but 7-8 knots in moderate wind suits us just fine!
    Glad yall have found your next boat!

If you are considering a used boat you should take a look at the PDQ32 and PDQ36. When we were shopping for our "northern" boat we looked at the MC30, Gemini, Tom Cat 32, and the PDQs. As we were coming from a monohull as well we found that that the more spartan boats made us miss the warm feel of the monohull interior. This may seem like not a big deal on a warm sunny afternoon but it makes a big difference after dark or on those cool grey days. We found that the PDQ's sailed very well and offered a level of quality and comfort that we would have missed. The build quality on the PDQs was quite exceptional so they do hold good resale values.
    Henry

Appreciate the feedback Trevor and it sounds like you are really enjoying the MC41. Not sure where you are in NB but we still have a cabin on a lake that separates Maine and NB. Depending on the money situation we may sneak into a MC41. Seems like more boat than we need but the adult kids will eventually have kids so we may need the space if our location is attractive to them. We are chartering a MC30 in the Bahamas in April. Newest post with the PDQ, we have heard many good things about the PDQ and the 36 is a very nice size. A newer one for sale in St. Croix right now that looks nice. I wish the PDQ and the Seawinds had daggerboards and there were more of both on the market. We are all set on the OBD discussion. I am confident we could be happy either way but favor the OBD. The more critical items are quality of build, sailing speed, simple user friendly design, draft, value, and no more boat than we need. MC37, MC41, Seawind 1000XL, Seawind 1160, PDQ36, and maybe a Catana 38 make the short list and really rooting for the MC37. Can't wait for them to finish the first one.

SMJ it was a Voyage 45, one of 2 built with the large hardtop not an actual cabin, and if we didnt thin it would be fun to live aboard in the short term, why would that change for the long term
    One was just listed today.
    http://www.catamarans.com/sales_port...68&catamarans=

Cool boat , I couldnt think of a better platform for Entertaining, or even Day trips, charters. Might be a good alternative to a MC, slightly better protection and ability to lock up than a OBD design, just not my cup O
    Tea for live aboard.But if someone liked OBD this boat could be a great alternative, biggest galley Ive ever seen and tons of storage and great refrigeration etc.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast