Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MC30 or MC37 a reasonable Caribbean live-aboard for two?

Default Re: MC30 or MC37 a reasonable Caribbean live-aboard for two?

I like a lot about this boat except the price, and if its like the other Voyages the bridgedeck clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by smj View Post
    I like a lot about this boat except the price, and if its like the other Voyages the bridgedeck clearance.
    Bdc doesnt seem to bad i was able to dinghy completly under it from one end to the other. The boat is buoyant and doesnt slam as bad as the older norsemans. It does seem to bave the limited visability thing that many obd cats suffer. From the helm on either of our cats whether sitting or standing I have 360 degree unobstructed visibility. Just looked at a video of a newer seawind with hard top etc and the vis I would compare to a gemini . Just seemed hard to have a good clear view forward, in lobster/ crabp trap land aka fl keys that could be challenging and even more so at night.

There is a newer Voyage 450 Day Charter for sale also.
    http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2009...e#.Us3cIfRDs5o

And they also made a 450 Cabriolet. That interior helm reminds me of a MC41. Bank repo...make an offer!!!!
    http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2003...s#.Us3bv_RDs5o

Does anyone know how they sail?

I just noticed that the 450 Cab is sold.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyEnding View Post
    Bdc doesnt seem to bad i was able to dinghy completly under it from one end to the other. The boat is buoyant and doesnt slam as bad as the older norsemans. It does seem to bave the limited visability thing that many obd cats suffer. From the helm on either of our cats whether sitting or standing I have 360 degree unobstructed visibility. Just looked at a video of a newer seawind with hard top etc and the vis I would compare to a gemini . Just seemed hard to have a good clear view forward, in lobster/ crabp trap land aka fl keys that could be challenging and even more so at night.
    This is so asinine it's almost not worth replying to. I just did a google image search on the Voyage 450 Cabriolet and if you can dinghy under that bridgedeck you are a very small person on a very under inflated dinghy.
    I don't understand the comment about reduced visibility on an obd catamaran. They have more visibility behind the wheel than any type catamaran I can think of. Imagine a Hobie on steroids.
    And I would strongly suggest you not make comments judged on a YouTube video you've seen. There are plenty of people out there with real life experiances. We've owned a Gemini 3200 and a Gemini 105m. We've also owned 2 Seawind 1000's and I can honestly say there is no comparison between the two on visibility. The Seawind wins hands down.
    I've also spent time on the Leopard 38 but won't comment here on the visibility from the helm as I feel I don't have enough experiance sailing the boat.

New Post/Drawing to the Maine Cat website on the 37/38

http://mecat.com/maine-catamaran-news/80

Quote Originally Posted by Mark424 View Post
    New Post/Drawing to the Maine Cat website on the 37/38

http://mecat.com/maine-catamaran-news/80
    A 38 foot boat with twin 9.9s for propulsion.

I think that the boat will probably be just fine with the two 9.9's. Great power to weight ratio both vs motor weight and boat weight. I am excited to see Dick's new boat!!!

This is so asinine it's almost not worth replying to. I just did a google image search on the Voyage 450 Cabriolet and if you can dinghy under that bridgedeck you are a very small person on a very under inflated dinghy.
    I don't understand the comment about reduced visibility on an obd catamaran. They have more visibility behind the wheel than any type catamaran I can think of t.
    For starters theres probably close to 2' of clearance or more at the stern of the 450. My inghy has 16" tubes.,,,
    Secondly. Heres another photo of the "greatest visibility ever ??not wanting to get your hackles up but really?
    Attached Images Attached Images

For starters theres probably close to 2' of clearance or more at the stern of the 450. My inghy has 16" tubes.,,,
    Secondly. Heres another photo of the "greatest visibility ever ??not wanting to get your hackles up but really?
    24" of clearance, which it doesn't have, minus 16" for your dinghy tubes leaves 8". I'm sure your dinghy motor sits quite a bit higher than this. I call BS!
    Still no comment concerning reduced visibility on obd cats?
    You compared visibility between Gemini and Seawind and I said visibility in my experiance was better on the Seawind. Once again, try to get real life experiance rather than relying on YouTube videos and pictures on the net.

24" of clearance, which it doesn't have, minus 16" for your dinghy tubes leaves 8". I'm sure your dinghy motor sits quite a bit higher than this. I call BS!
    Still no comment concerning reduced visibility on obd cats?
    You compared visibility between Gemini and Seawind and I said visibility in my experiance was better on the Seawind. Once again, try to get real life experiance rather than relying on YouTube videos and pictures on the net.
    We did not have a motor on it since we were rafted up and close to a beach, we rowed floated under it, leaning back, wife was forward,
    Heres a pic of the one for sale, maybe not 24" but close, This is my observations, and as for view from helm, my opinion, but proud owners ( and you should be, Seawinds are great boats) claim its the best visibilitiy of any cat, as you just said, my comment was relating to visibility from the helm. You still have to look forward and through the window cutouts, in rough seas, , crap trap laden areas, moving at night etc "My Opinion" is the visibility is limited. Compare the two pic below of the gemini with the Seawind, The gemini you can drop the window infront and have only one window to look out. and easily lean to the right to have an easier view forward. I 10000% agree that your passengers can see forward and out easier on a seawind, from around your "Settee" than on most cats, And sure you can drive from there, with a remote or ap etc. We can agree to disagree, still my opinion that if the helmsman's head level is above the coachroof, the only thing in my line of site is the mast, and its amazing even with good visibility we still run over the occasional pot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

We did not have a motor on it since we were rafted up and close to a beach, we rowed floated under it, leaning back, wife was forward,
    Heres a pic of the one for sale, maybe not 24" but close, This is my observations, and as for view from helm, my opinion, but proud owners ( and you should be, Seawinds are great boats) claim its the best visibilitiy of any cat, as you just said, my comment was relating to visibility from the helm. You still have to look forward and through the window cutouts, in rough seas, , crap trap laden areas, moving at night etc "My Opinion" is the visibility is limited. Compare the two pic below of the gemini with the Seawind, The gemini you can drop the window infront and have only one window to look out. and easily lean to the right to have an easier view forward. I 10000% agree that your passengers can see forward and out easier on a seawind, from around your "Settee" than on most cats, And sure you can drive from there, with a remote or ap etc. We can agree to disagree, still my opinion that if the helmsman's head level is above the coachroof, the only thing in my line of site is the mast, and its amazing even with good visibility we still run over the occasional pot.
    I actually thought the Seawind had bad visibility, until I sailed one.

HappyEnding ...

Your graciousness and continuing civility in this thread do you a lot of credit.

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    HappyEnding ...

Your graciousness and continuing civility in this thread do you a lot of credit.

Karen
    Thanks Karen , I see too many threads get outta control on the other Fourm, dont want any of that here , I dont want to ruffle anyone's feathers lol, Besides SMJ has a tone of fantastic insight on catamarans, and I did want to buy a Seawind 1000 prior to our AMI 32, wife said no,

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    HappyEnding ...

Karen
    I agree!

The visibility on the SW1000 is even far better when you stand at the helm rather than sit. If when standing and you still are not getting the good visibility you need build yourself a little step platform. By the way after18 years of sailing CatNip I and anyone else who has helmed my SeaWind 1000XL ever sits when driving.

Quote Originally Posted by victor View Post
    The visibility on the SW1000 is even far better when you stand at the helm rather than sit. If when standing and you still are not getting the good visibility you need build yourself a little step platform. By the way after18 years of sailing CatNip I and anyone else who has helmed my SeaWind 1000XL ever sits when driving.
    Ah Victor, that's because your always racing! I've steered mine many a mile sitting in the chair and steering with my feet! I also liked to steer sitting on the side deck. So many options.

When racing yes I stand but 90% of the time OTTO drives.

I believe the MC 38 is going to allow up to twin 25hp outboard. Get the facts first please.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast