Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Global Warming nothing since 1997

Default Global Warming nothing since 1997

In a joint press conference NOAA and NASA have just released data for the global surface temperature for 2013. In summary they both show that the ‘pause’ in global surface temperature that began in 1997, according to some estimates, continues. Statistically speaking there has been no trend in global temperatures over this period. Given that the IPCC estimates that the average decadal increase in global surface temperature is 0.2 deg C, the world is now 0.3 deg C cooler than it should have been. --
    David Whitehouse, The Global Warming Policy Foundation, 21 January 2014
    Safe Sailing
    Paul
    Blog: www.suliere.com

Default Re: Global Warming nothing since 1997

Australian Bureau of Meteorology senior climatologist Blair Trewin said the NOAA and NASA data showed "that 2013 is clearly in the world's 10 warmest years on record". "Nine of the 10 warmest years have occurred since 2002," he said.

Griffith University emeritus professor and Australian Conservation Foundation chairman Ian Lowe said the NOAA report confirmed the world was warming.

"While some media outlets are repeating the myth spread by deniers that there has been a pause in warming, the NOAA data confirm that the trend of global warming is continuing," he said. "It also confirms we are seeing more extremes of weather, as the science has been warning us to expect for 25 years."

Professor Neville Nicholls from the Monash University School of Geography and Environmental Science said the rise was more dramatic if looked at over land. "Global temperatures over land have increased at a rate of about 1.5C per century, over the last 15 years," he said.

Who knows who's right? I guess our kids will eventually, lets hope it's the "deniers"!

An interesting commentary as to cause of climate change:

http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/1696748

David Whitehouse is a shill for big business. They pay him huge sums of money to interpret scientific data their way. He is not to be trusted.

So who pays the IPCC? They also agree the climate haas not warmed since 1998.
    I am amazed at the claims just posted as the lack of warming is accepted bny most climate scientists. They are looking for the cause.
    Safe Sailing
    Paul

So, where is this document?

I found this that says temps are going to continue to rise.
    http://www.climatechange2013.org/ima..._Chapter11.pdf

GLOBAL TEMPERATURE STANDSTILL GAINS IPCC SUPPORT

Date: 22/02/13 The Global Warming Policy Foundation
    London, 22 February: The Global Warming Policy Foundation (GWPF) welcomes that Dr Rajenda Pachauri, the chair of the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), has acknowledged the reality of the post-1997 standstill in global average temperatures.

The GWPF has been highlighting the global warming standstill for many years against fervent denial by climate activists. Recently, Nasa’s James Hansen also recognised that global temperatures have not risen for more than a decade.

“Even though the scientific case for the standstill is secure, and well represented in peer-reviewed scientific literature, it will surely help the climate debate now that the IPCC chairman has confirmed its existence,” said Dr David Whitehouse, the GWPF’s science editor.

The post-1997 global annual average temperature standstill is one of the most important aspects of current climate science. Its recognition by the chair of the IPCC means there is now growing pressure that this empirical fact will receive full analysis in the forthcoming AR5 report.

The GWPF points out that Dr Pachauri’s assertion that it will take a temperature standstill of “30-40 years at least” to affect theories of man-made global warming is without a scientific basis. “The 17-year standstill already strains climate models, and if it continues for much longer it will demonstrate that the climate models on which the IPCC has based its assumptions are inadequate,” Dr Whitehouse said.

*Interview with Dr Pachauri in The Australian 22 February.
    Safe Sailing
    Paul

Got anything that is not from the Global Warming Policy Foundation?

Do you get your news from Fox?

Typical ... you do not attack the issue, you attack the person. That is a pretty poor way to discuss things

For the record, I never watch Fox and would never choose to do so. I find their stances on many issues too be absurd.

I am getting ready for the boat so have limited time but the reference I gave referred to an interview with the head of the IPCC.

Their latest annual report accepted the standstill in global temperature. It argued that it would increase in the future but it could do nothing other than accept the facts of the global temperature measurements since 1998. REead the annual report.
    Safe Sailing
    Paul

Paul, you keep posting this same topic with your data mostly backed up by some big business organization. It is exactly like Fox News and the narrative can't be trusted. And I still haven't seen a link to a real scientific study or any IPCC docs to back up what was said by them or you.
    I went to the IPCC site and found it extremely tedious and couldn't find any hard data on anything.

But I did find this from NASA which directly contradicts what was said in your first post:

NASA scientists say 2013 tied with 2009 and 2006 for the seventh warmest year since 1880, continuing a long-term trend of rising global temperatures.
    With the exception of 1998, the 10 warmest years in the 134-year record have all occurred since 2000, with 2010 and 2005 ranking as the warmest years on record.

http://climate.nasa.gov/news/1029

I just watched a great documentary called Chasing Ice. A National Geographic photographer set up time lapse cameras which show many glaciers retreating large distances over years . It is really hard to be a climate change denier after watching this. It was nominated for an Academy Award and won 2 awards at Sundance. Really fantastic photography and cinematography.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfJERy_mAsM
    Last edited by Sand crab; 24th January 2014 at 02:45 PM.

Ok, here's the 21013 IPCC report which does not agree with anything said by the big business organization. Some highlights.

Warming of the climate system is unequivocal, and since the 1950s, many of the observed
    changes are unprecedented over decades to millennia. The atmosphere and ocean have
    warmed, the amounts of snow and ice have diminished, sea level has risen, and the
    concentrations of greenhouse gases have increased

Each of the last three decades has been successively warmer at the Earth’s surface than any
    preceding decade since 1850 (see Figure SPM.1). In the Northern Hemisphere, 1983–2012
    was likely the warmest 30-year period of the last 1400 years

Ocean warming dominates the increase in energy stored in the climate system, accounting
    for more than 90% of the energy accumulated between 1971 and 2010 (high confidence).
    It is virtually certain that the upper ocean (0−700 m) warmed from 1971 to 2010

Over the last two decades, the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets have been losing mass,
    glaciers have continued to shrink almost worldwide, and Arctic sea ice and Northern
    Hemisphere spring snow cover have continued to decrease in extent

I could go on.
    http://www.climatechange2013.org/ima...M_brochure.pdf

PS I still love ya, Paul. Bob

That is rubbish.
    I have posted links to scientific papers in previous threads on this subject.
    I went to the IPCC site and found it extremely tedious and couldn't find any hard data on anything.
    I cannot blame you for that!
    The fact you could not find hard data on anything is not surprising. The head of the IPCC in an interview agreed that the earths temperature has stood still for the last 17 years or so- I gave you the link.

Here is a reference you can follow for the UK met office - an organisation pushing manmade climate change as much as they can
    Click here

Here is the BBC reporting on the same standstill since 1998 - they are not like fox and you can follow the links on it.
    BBC

Here is NASA and NOAA referring to the standstill in temperatures
    Nasa and NOAA

The standstill is not in real dispute ...... it just seems the news has not reached your conner of the world

I just watched a great documentary called Chasing Ice. A National Geographic photographer set up time lapse cameras which show many glaciers retreating large distances over years . It is really hard to be a climate change denier after watching this. It was nominated for an Academy Award and won 2 awards at Sundance. Really fantastic photography and cinematography.
    That in no way proves any manmade climate change. Climate change as such has always existed. In fact with the lapse in Solar activity the most likely climate coming is one of much lower temperatures....... even a mini ice age.

In the UK we have had a wrt winter, a very wet mild winter and some stupid politicians are linking it to manmade climate change but in fact from met Office records its the 14th wettest winter since 1910 so there has been a wetter winter every ten years or so since then.

When you buy a car it seems that there are suddenly a lot more of them on the road ... it really seems that way because you notice them. Its easy to fool people with weather and climate. To link things that they notice.

Al Gore predicted no arctic ice left by now but surface ice grew by 60% last year.
    Safe Sailing
    Paul

I'll just save some space and just refer to your links.

The Telegraph and BBC sites both say global warming will continue although at a possible slower rate.

The 3rd link is just more scientific nonsense from big business funded GWPF. It is interesting that they claim there is a global warming standstill and actual cooling with data provided by NOAA and NASA but don't give the data or links. See again my post #10. They massage the data to conclude that since the earth hasn't warmed as much as was predicted then it must be cooling. (wtf?).

Here are the facts from NOAA which say that 2013 is the 4th warmest on record. But the GWPF says we are cooling. That is the lead story on the NOAA website.
    http://www.noaa.gov/
    http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/2013/13

And although the Arctic ice pack rebounded a bit last year it was still the 5th lowest on record.
    http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/fea...l#.UuKJiPTn-IU
    Last edited by Sand crab; 24th January 2014 at 04:01 PM.

The Telegraph and BBC sites both say global warming will continue although at a possible slower rate.
    Yes the Met Office PREDICTS that but they accept the 17 year standstill which is the point I am making.

And although the Arctic ice pack rebounded a bit last year it was still the 5th lowest on record.
    It reversed direction against a prediction that it would not exist with a 60% increase in surface ice in a single year. The antarctic is of course just grown and grown.

Tell me what increase in sea levels has there been since say 1960? You tell me.
    Have tide tables had to be adjusted?

The standstill that is admitted goes against the models and in real science when that happens to go back to the model and try to get it right. These days there are so man careers depending on man made climate change that the truth has to be pushed further and further away.

What do you think of a meeting with the leading UK sceptic organisation and the Royal Society where the Royal Society insists on keeping the minutes secret? A real open approach to science that is!
    Safe Sailing
    Paul

Paul, it is not a 17 year standstill in temps but a 17 year standstill in the rate of warming. They suggest that the warming will be more linear than exponential. Warming is still warming.
    I searched for any change in the Antarctic ice sheet and could only find some references that the depth has remained fairly constant or reducing. The sea ice is a different story. It is growing but then breaking off in 100 sq. mile chunks in the summer.
    http://nsidc.org/cryosphere/quickfacts/icesheets.html
    Weather is weird

No, it is a standstill in temperatures.Look at the graph Here
    Safe Sailing
    Paul

If you also look at the model prediction on that graph above you will see how over time the IPCC have reduced their estimate and still managed to overshoot by a mile. Normal science in such a case rejects the model.
    I think some 25% of all the CO2 ever put into the atmosphere was put in between 2000 and 2010 yet the temperature did not rise as any model predicted.

if models predictions are so wrong - reject the models and start again.

In any event the politicians have woken up to it and even the EU has now dropped its targets past 2020. Gradually there is a turn around. Countries are having to reverse green policies. The greenest country in Europe, Germany is now building 18 coal fired power stations because the stupid 'green energy sources' have not worked.
    Safe Sailing
    Paul

This is what Hansen says about the standstill Here
    Safe Sailing
    Paul

I give up. You win. I'm done with this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
    I give up. You win. I'm done with this thread.
    Chuck and Greg all slugged out eh?

BORKED

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast