Thread: Screecher coming unfurled on a 1160

Default Screecher coming unfurled on a 1160

As I am sure others have had this problem, our screecher starst to unfurl near the top in high winds. We have thought about put it in a zippered cover or sewing on some sun cover and bungee cording the top closed. We also thought about wrapping the top part in the spinnaker halyard. Any ideas out there

Default Re: Screecher coming unfurled on a 1160

I always thought a screecher should be taken down in high winds. Unless my definition of a screecher is wrong, it's not on a permanent stay, so it drops easily. Can't you just leave the bottom attached and lay the rest of it on deck, or on the tramps?

Cheers.
    Paul.

I second the opinion to drop the thing in any sort of wind. Mine will start banging against the jib furler if I leave it up.

On a second problem... I just had the quick-release on the furler cut off and a long dee shackle welded on instead so that the furler was less prone to twist. This makes furling MUCH easier.

(Just need to figure out how to do a long splice on double-braid so I can shorten the continuous furling line now.)

Agree on the "drop it in high winds" answer. Also when furling, dont have too much pressure on the sheet, in fact very little, I know it sounds counter intuitive, but it works better for me.

Furling can be a real pain, especially as I usually want to put the screecher away as the wind is building so removing the load is hard. I shade the sail by opening the jib underneath it and trying to put everything behind the main, but light-handed it is still difficult.

The new rigid mount I have welded to the furler has made it quite a lot easier. It means that the furling line does not change it's angle of entry/exit so much.

02e4.jpg
    Seawind 1160 XTsea
    Livaboard performing a circumnavigation of Oz. Currently Darwin.
    www.xtsea.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by DevoDave View Post
    Furling can be a real pain, especially as I usually want to put the screecher away as the wind is building so removing the load is hard. I shade the sail by opening the jib underneath it and trying to put everything behind the main, but light-handed it is still difficult.

The new rigid mount I have welded to the furler has made it quite a lot easier. It means that the furling line does not change it's angle of entry/exit so much.

02e4.jpg
    If the drum / furling wheel flops it sounds like you do not have enough halyard tension.

Reviving an old thread, but we have found putting some downward tension on the sheet as the screecher is furled means the top part of the sail furls MUCH tighter and does not open up to the wind.
    Seawind 1160 XTsea
    Livaboard performing a circumnavigation of Oz. Currently Darwin.
    www.xtsea.com.au

This is certainly not an issue unique to Seawinds...and we join with others here already confirming our strong practice to stow the screecher in any sign of high winds...and, for us, stowed at night as well. Our practice was cemented in place when, of what was a beautifully balmy trade wind evening crossing the Pacific, a big blow came out of nowhere and cause great noise and angst before it was finally safely stowed away.
    ...throw off the bowlines...sail away from safe harbor...catch the winds in your sails...EXPLORE...DREAM...DISCOVER
    Mark Twain
    www.floatingimpressions.com.au