Thread: Cherry and holly interior flooring help needed.

Default Cherry and holly interior flooring help needed.

I need to replace the flooring inside my Privilege cat. The flooring I had was a teak/holly on plywood and was VERY hard-wearing with very few blemishes. The trouble is, with all the options out there (plywood/veneer on ply/laminate/synthetic etc...) I dont know what I had and what to replace it with. I'm not a masochist so don't really want to add twenty layers of varnish. I already have a ply floor, finished with a thin coat of glass so a thin finish will suffice. Given the choice, I want to go for a cherry/holly finish. Any guidance as to what I should be searching for is appreciated.

Default Re: Cherry and holly interior flooring help needed.

Defender has thin laminate xx-and-holly flooring, which is likely the exact thing you're replacing. This would go over the ply, as you describe

Thanks Tamicatana. The only stuff I can find on defender is the Lonseal vinyl flooring which comes in a roll. My flooring, even just the top layer, seems too stiff to be rolled up.

Mine too, but I would guess that the original brittled with age. In any case the Lonseal is the closest I've seen, and I've been looking, myself

Mine sounds like yours: a layer of thin laminate over plywood. In my case the ply is something like 1/4".

I've looked at various options, including cork tiling. I got some cork samples and left them in a tub of water to see how they'd act and one or two swelled but on the whole they held up. But the colors that would go with the mahogany interior are so very dark, or else they have yellow hues and I'm not interested in that

Also considering doing a thin structural foam layer, same thickness as the ply, seal with epoxy and put the Lonseal over that.

I'm also thinking about foam tiles like gym flooring but I don't want to go with the dark grey which is the only option in that I've liked. I guess I could go with some of that cute primary-color pattern, ha ha

oh the humanity
    Last edited by tamicatana; 12th February 2014 at 04:00 PM.

It may not be what you are looking for, but we used this for our floors: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...8/product.html

The colors don't always match up just right and needs to be varnished, but it's cheap and lightweight.

I replaced all of the flooring in my Island Spirit (previously indoor/outdoor carpet) with this: http://www.plasteak.com/

This product is used in some of the new production boats. Easy to install, relatively inexpensive, no maintenance, and most important to me, it is completely non-slip, even when wet. I highly recommend it.

Thanks CPO. I've ordered some samples.

Teak is beautiful, durable, and naturally resistant to decay. These characteristics have made it a highly desirable wood for centuries, so today teak flooring and teak wood often create a mood of luxury. Teak flooring adds beauty to a home and increases its value.Teak is a very hard, durable wood, making teak flooring a good choice even in high-traffic areas.I think teak flooring is an excellent long-term investment that will last for generations and increase the resale value of a time.