Thread: Australia. Insurance when you are NOT in a marina?

Default Australia. Insurance when you are NOT in a marina?

I want to get insurance on a 43 foot cat which at this stage will not be at a marina for cost reasons. It will be on either a pile or swing mooring in the Brisbane river. What if I have friends looking after it?

Any tips on getting insurance?
    Last edited by dennisail; 12th February 2014 at 09:54 AM.

Default Re: Australia. Insurance when you are NOT in a marina?

G'day Dennisail

There is only one I can think of and that would be Pantenaeus who have an office in Sydney and are a global insurance company who insure shipping and leisure craft. I have had a fantastic run with this company on price and have even done a claim where a delivery captain lost a boat on me and they paid out and re-insured my next boat. If they won't do it, nobody will. Whoever you approach, make sure you look at the clauses, some of them have hundreds of get out of paying you clauses and I think you will find Pantanteaus have just a dozen or so. But be certain to read the clauses to make sure you qualify.
    L&N

Call me Dennis, I got insurance for a boat on a mooring in FNQ. Not saying I can do it again but worth the shot.

Thanks guys. Pantaneus would not insure our last boat. But that was because we were sailing it from the USA to Australia and they wanted more crew than the 2 of us. Commandeur insured us, and we made a claim when a whale ripped our bow off. They paid eventually but it took almost a year!

What happens to all the cruisers who are actively using their boats and therefore are not at marinas?

Quote Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
    What happens to all the cruisers who are actively using their boats and therefore are not at marinas?
    We're covered. Under our present policy, (with Nautilus) as long as we stay in Aus territorial waters we're covered. We don't have to be in a marina.

School's Out was insured with Nautilus. They left the boat on an approved mooring when they went overseas. TC Oswald broke the boat free of the mooring and wrote it off. Nautilus paid the full insured amount promptly.

Thanks everyone. Will have to do some shopping around.

I was with Trident, They are in Perth, Excellent company to deal with,

I had no problems with them paying me out what so ever, When my boat got wrecked on the beach,
    Buying it back wasnt a problem either,

I was insured for 200 NM off the OZ coast, They would not insure me for the trip from Fiji to OZ,

Will they insure me again when I get my boat back in the water, I dont have a clue yet, I havent asked,

I think Dennis is sorted!

I went with Factors Crew. Morgan from Multihull central tried Nautilus and Club marine. Nautilus declined based on the mooring.

I am sending through the signed contract for Club Marine now. Cost under $2300 for 190K value.

Pantaneous said they would for about $200 cheaper, but they had too many clauses etc so I just went with Club Marine.

Hi, I have just launched a 43' Schionning cat in Hervey Bay, Queensland. I intend to use the boat, so will not require a marina berth. I have tried several brokers and insurance companies (all the usual companies), with mixed results ending with the words 'no cover'. Pantaenius the only company offering insurance on a surveyed swing mooring. However, no cover provided while at anchor. What, so I can't go cruising? Does anyone know of an insurance company willing to take on a 'cruising' cat. Harry

Quote Originally Posted by harryg View Post
    Hi, I have just launched a 43' Schionning cat in Hervey Bay, Queensland. I intend to use the boat, so will not require a marina berth. I have tried several brokers and insurance companies (all the usual companies), with mixed results ending with the words 'no cover'. Pantaenius the only company offering insurance on a surveyed swing mooring. However, no cover provided while at anchor. What, so I can't go cruising? Does anyone know of an insurance company willing to take on a 'cruising' cat. Harry
    That is piss poor really. What is the point of owning the boat then? I am sure you will get it sorted though. That is ridiculous. Give Ozmultis a PM and ask him to put you onto his insurance broker.

Thanks, I will give Ozmultis a try. Harry

Harryg, any update?

My cat is on a swing mooring near Hervey Bay, currently insured with Club Marine. Just received my renewal, a 19% increase in premium. No claims.

Have others experienced large premium increases? Is it worth shopping around for quotes?

Quote Originally Posted by harryg View Post
    just insurance with pantaenius the anchor clause says will not cover you in a named storm

It is difficult to get any kind of cover at a realistic price in Queensland once north of Rockhampton--and for a trimaran you can pretty much forget it, especially if it is made of wood-epoxy and over thirty feet. (thirty feet is the limit for one insurance company which is otherwise reasonable in price)

I would be happy with 3rd party property damage with wreck removal-and third party personal liability cover. With that you can enter a marina to get fuel instead of having to use a tender as a lighter.

I used to be covered by Trident--was for years--never had a claim in three cyclones--but they declined cover because their underwriters disliked trimarans. Weird!!
    Last edited by Mike Banks; 25th July 2014 at 02:38 PM.

For those what is interested:

Just been through the annual insurance time joy. I went with Trident when I bought the boat 2 years ago. Last year the premium went up by $400, I made a token ring around but ended up staying with them.

This year they jacked it up another $400. So I tried harder this time.

It's harder to get any cover if you live at anchor. We are actually moving up to Pittwater soon and renting a commercial mooring, so we did get cover based on that.

Ended up with Pantaenius, who quoted $800 cheaper and seems to be a better policy in some ways.

Would be interested in any reports of people getting cover based on them living at anchor, and any restrictions that are applied to that situation.

So no one would insure you unless you had that mooring? What about all people actively cruising? We have heard Nautilus what about others? Club marine insures us on a mooring. I will have to check what happens if we leave for a long period of time.
    Last edited by dennisail; 2nd December 2014 at 10:16 AM.

I have a trimarranand cant get insurance even thouh the mooring is checked by a registered diver every 3 months what a joke udont usethe boat but wont tke the ris, tris dont sink monos do