Thread: voyage 500 stanchion issues

Default voyage 500 stanchion issues

Anyone ever have to adress loose stanchion bases on a voyage 500?
    Doesn't seem to be a way to get to them from underneath....
    Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Default Re: voyage 500 stanchion issues

G'day TKM,
    We have a Voyage 500 as well and we have some loose stanchions on the port side. I contacted the maintenance guy in Soepers Hole, Tortola and apparently the nuts are glassed in. We are yet to test this out, but we have our boat on the hard stand at the moment with our rig down doing just about everything you can imagine before heading off to the Pacific. So will be happy to let you know how we go with our stanchions. We are going to loosen them off and re-bed all of them as we have a high moisture reading in the area where the stanchions are loose. Let me know if you can simply tighten your bases up as this how they are designed from the factory, but there is no access from the inside to your stanchion bases. You can remove the panel on your chain plates but would have to repaint everything afterwards. We also have an email address someone else put on the forum to the workshop manager of Voyage South Africa if all else fails.
    Regards, L&N

Thanks l&n
    At least one of the bases on the stbd side can not be tightened down from the top as the two loose fasteners just turn freely as if stripped.
    Haven't tried to tighten the others, there are about three but they aren't as loose so may tighten ok.
    I guess the only way to find out will be to take the stanchion base off and see what is going on. I will let you know what we find out.
    I would hate to have to cut into the liner from inside.

Tom

My understanding is that there are aluminum plates under the fiberglass (which is then covered up by the interior coating). Holes are drilled and threaded.

I don't know how thick they are, but you probably could drill an oversize hole down to the plate, then drill it out (if needed) and tap for a Helicoil. Glue the Helicoil in (it could even be long enough reach nearly to the original deck surface to give more support to the Helicoil), and fill in the oversize hole. You can find Helicoils in most any thread size.

Properly done, this would be stronger than original.