Thread: separate halyard for dinghy hoist

Question separate halyard for dinghy hoist

Anyone have one of these on their Voyage? Is it a two-part with block just like the main halyard?
    Where do you secure it when sailing?

Thanks,

Tom

Default Re: separate halyard for dinghy hoist

Since no one has answered, I'll chime in.

Were you thinking to make your topping lift/spare halyard this dinghy hoist? Unfortunately, unless someone tells me they use the dinghy derrick without the topping lift in place, I believe the topping lift gives vital support to the boom during the operation.

I have achieved, I think, the end you want, but it entails a lot of work. The derrick needs to be removed,for example, but this probably should be done for inspection anyway.

I have a dedicated dinghy hoist line that exits the end of the derrick. This has a 4:1 purchase, and is routed back to the cockpit to an extra rope clutch I installed.

But the key to the whole thing (and what makes it complicated)is that you need to support the ends of both the boom and the derrick. And those supports need to change in length as the derrick extends. I have a bridle, whose legs adjust automatically, attached to my now 2 part topping lift/spare halyard.

This was a LOT of work, but I enjoy this sort of challange. It works well (with its own nuances) and I enjoy not having to go back and forth moving the halyard. This is now a bigger deal as the replacement main I got was a bit too tall so I had to replace the halyard block with one shorter, and this one does not have a snap shackle. The dinghy can be launched a lot quicker, which can be a big thing. I've even once retreived the dinghy under sail.

I don't mean to offend, but do you have any pictures of all that so as to make it easier to understand, please?

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

I've got a few pictures somewhere; I'll try to figure how to post.

Are you familar with the dinghy lift system that Voyage Yachts devised? These messages would probably make sense only to Voyage owners!

Sorry, no I am not familiar with the Voyage system. In fact, I have never seen a Voyage!

However, it sounded as though there was an interesting idea and I have trouble dealing with my dinghy so I was hoping to learn something I could use.

If I am simply getting in the way, that's fine. I will simply drop out.

Thanks.

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Hope this helps.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Voya...inghy&tbm=isch

http://www.charteradvisors.com/yacht...l.php?review=8

Still having trouble uploading pics. Click on it and it's there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks ggray.
    My question was about a voyage cat that was factory fit with an extra sheave on the masthead with a separate two part halyard thst is in essence a second main halyard. I'm trying to figure out the best way to secure this line when the boat is under sail, where it will not interfere with the mainsail.

I have davits for the dinghy, but I do lift the motor off the dinghy for storage on a dedicated "plate" which is above shoulder height. I just use a tackle system attached to a dyneema loop at the end of the boom, I move the boom to above the motor, prevent it there, and then attach tackle with a snap shackle and its all controllable from there
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by tkm View Post
    Thanks ggray.
    My question was about a voyage cat that was factory fit with an extra sheave on the masthead with a separate two part halyard thst is in essence a second main halyard. I'm trying to figure out the best way to secure this line when the boat is under sail, where it will not interfere with the mainsail.
    Mine has the second sheave at masthead, and I use (since day 1, but only one part) that for the topping lift which is attached to the boom end. The line can slap against the main, but no big deal. One more thing to watch out for when raising main.

Thanks for adding the photos, Sand Crab. Top row, #1,2,3, and 6.

Dmmbruce, photos show all, but it would be a difficult thing to achieve if not built by sparmaker.