Thread: Salon subfloor material

Default Salon subfloor material

In the process of fixing the height adjustment on the telescopic barstool stand in the salon it was necessary to unscrew the base from the floor. Upon doing so I found a black spongy, rather mildewed material. I assume it is some sort of insulation or sound deadening material. Anyone know what it is? Is it supposed to be black?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Salon subfloor material

can't see the picture, but it may be merely plywood which has rotted.

There is a little dry rot at the edges but most of the mildew and mold seems to be under the floor. I am running a heater on it for a few days to dry it out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pat,

I replaced the salon floor on my 435. After years of wet people entering the cabin, the floor had become a little soft. There are fiberglass stringers under the floor and ply is attached to them. There was no other material under there other than the ply. I have posted a photo for you. I have plenty more if you need them. When I remade mine, I covered the floor with ply and a thin layer of CSM glass.

floor.jpg

Hello,
    Interesting, wouldn't have thought of redoing it with glass. Can you elaborate a bit and where did you get the glass? How is it holding up, do you paint it, varnish?
    Thanks for any info. We were considering adding a couple coats of varnish but there are some spots that would still show, may reconsider.
    Regards,
    Diane