Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yanmar saildrive problem what boat would you buy

Default Re: Yanmar saildrive problem what boat would you buy

Quote Originally Posted by sigmasailor View Post
    Mine (internet and home) runs on solar power (a roof full of them) and wind power (I have invested, crowdfunding, in a wind turbine).
    But do you own a car?

Quote Originally Posted by LouisAndNatasha View Post
    G'day,
    Thought we would throw this out there. On the weekend we went sailing and dropped the anchor in on Saturday at the local island. When we went to leave one of the sail drives (SD31's) would not engage forward or reverse and of course I already had my anchor up by then, so I sailed around in a circle and picked up a mooring, couldn't identify any issues with the propellers. The box seemed to be engaging with the selectors, however the propeller wasn't turning. So we decided to sail back and berth on one engine. Started the engines again and had no drives! Both sides had stopped, but the port side would still work in reverse only needless to say I needed a friendly shunt into my berth when we got back into the harbour. Looking for ideas from people who are more experienced with sail drive legs. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    L&N
    Very unusual that both should fail together.

Have you checked the oil? Water in the drives can affect the clutches.

The fact that one works in reverse only would suggest a problem with the clutches or prop doughnuts.

Saildrive propellers have rubber doughnuts inside to protect them from shock damage. Maybe these have failed. Due to overloading, or maybe contamination in the water may have caused them to fail, just guessing.

Home port Chesapeake Bay; Cruising full time.

G'day,
    Thought we would throw this out there. On the weekend we went sailing and dropped the anchor in on Saturday at the local island. When we went to leave one of the sail drives (SD31's) would not engage forward or reverse and of course I already had my anchor up by then, so I sailed around in a circle and picked up a mooring, couldn't identify any issues with the propellers. The box seemed to be engaging with the selectors, however the propeller wasn't turning. So we decided to sail back and berth on one engine. Started the engines again and had no drives! Both sides had stopped, but the port side would still work in reverse only needless to say I needed a friendly shunt into my berth when we got back into the harbour. Looking for ideas from people who are more experienced with sail drive legs. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    L&N
    Cone clutches? My acquaintances with Yanmars curse loudly about them...

2 Hulls Dave

Quote Originally Posted by 2hulls View Post
    Cone clutches? My acquaintances with Yanmars curse loudly about them...

2 Hulls Dave
    If I understand correctly 31's have dog clutches and are usually very dependable (perhaps the last Yanmar sail drive that can be said about). The fact that they both gave up at the same time would suggest a problem in the shift mechanism or alternatively something wrapped arout prop 1 that was long enough to eventually get caught by prop 2. I would try putting them into gear manually. Disconnect the shift linkage and try putting them in gear by hand at the drive. Dog clutches are not typically very quiet when they fail. The dogs get rounded and slip when engaging the drive gears and tend to make a clattering sound. If you are not getting any noise it is unlikely that the problem is in the dog clutches. You didn't say how you know the propellers are not turning. Are you simply getting no thrust or have you looked at the props and determined that they are in fact not moving?

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for your input and ideas. I will try and monitor your responses between flights and when I get back to the boat, guess I need to pull the cone clutches out, or dog clutches out to have a look. I've never pulled a leg apart, so any tips you guys have gleaned over the years would be greatly appreciated. My gut feeling is that it my be the wrong oil and has glazed the surfaces up. Spoke to the Yanmar guy who serviced it and he was a little vague. The props are definitely not spinning and you can visually see this from each hull, but also lack of propulsion is a bit of a give away Our first will be to put it in gear and jump in the water and see if I can spin the prop by hand, but that will have to wait till I get back now. Many thanks and will keep you posted.
    L&N

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for your input and ideas. I will try and monitor your responses between flights and when I get back to the boat, guess I need to pull the cone clutches out, or dog clutches out to have a look. I've never pulled a leg apart, so any tips you guys have gleaned over the years would be greatly appreciated. My gut feeling is that it my be the wrong oil and has glazed the surfaces up. Spoke to the Yanmar guy who serviced it and he was a little vague. The props are definitely not spinning and you can visually see this from each hull, but also lack of propulsion is a bit of a give away Our first will be to put it in gear and jump in the water and see if I can spin the prop by hand, but that will have to wait till I get back now. Many thanks and will keep you posted.
    L&N
    Here is a link to the SD31 parts manual. It shows exploded views of your drives. Note they are definitely dog clutches. One other possibility is that your shift lever has come loose. You mentioned you had the drive serviced. What exactly did you have done? Was it simply an oil change?

http://www.lsm-diesel.dk/2012/yanmar...sd20-30-31.pdf

The 31's are dog clutches, water would make them fail eventually. I have the same boat and gear. I am very intimate with my units. I have replaced a used lower gear(forward) in the upper end of the unit while the boat was in the water by using the technique described to polish the cone clutches in the sd 50's of separating the engine and sliding back the pinion to get the cones out. That allowed me to pull out the gear that caused my issue.

There is a shifting pawl that can wear down if the shift cables are misadjusted which can happen over time or the stop nut on the cables get loose.

I'd definitely check the drives by removing the cables first.

I am interested in your outcome. I see this message is over a month old. I hope you have it resolved and the problem was the least expensive variety.

Good Luck
    C.King

Hi Seaking.
    Thanks for the feedback. I've only just returned back after a month away and have not yet started on it. We are reasonably confident that it's the wrong gear oil that was used and has reduced the friction on the clutches. I'm planning next week to lift the boat and drain the gear boxes and throughly flush the gear oil that's been in there. Then probably lap the clutches back in. An expensive exercise just because the wrong oil was used. Will keep you all posted once I get the boat up and the oil out. The SD31's don't have a drain hole in the top so it would appear I need to drain them from the bottom. If you know of any way of draining them out from the top, this would save me a lift out/money and time.
    L&N

There is nothing to Lap in that gear box. There is no cone clutch in that model. You can get about half the oil out from the top. You can take the top of the gear box off and see the clutch DOG. IN there is a brass piece that may be worn. I changed one of those once and it helped. There are two gears that are the same, that are turned by the pinion gear. There is a selector that moves the dog gear between the two drive gears. Each one of those gears are about $500 US, I know because that is what I robbed a gear out of my older damaged SD31 and put in my other gearbox on the boat when it stopped shifting into forward.

Trust me it is not anything that can be lapped. I spent many hours researching and tinkering on my own gearboxes. I have two operating in our older boat and I have two other SD31 that I can put together and have a functional complete spare.

This past year my propeller shaft seal started leaking water into the lower unit. A new shaft is approx. $600 US. From studying post on another forum I discovered Speedi-Sleeves and installed two on the old shaft, allowing me to use the normal seal and have been using it all season and no leak now.

Good stuff on modifying the SD 31 to deal with the water intrusion issue.
    http://hackingfamily.com/cruise_info...SailDrives.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
    Good stuff on modifying the SD 31 to deal with the water intrusion issue.
    http://hackingfamily.com/cruise_info...SailDrives.htm
    I did something like in 2006 when we got our boat. I am not sure if that helps or its the fact that the system becomes vented. I know as the gear oil heats up there is some expansion and contraction which would put some vacuum on the gear case possibly pulling water in a weak seal. I have any issues with major water intrusion since, maybe once I drained them and the oil looked slightly questionable but I didn't have it tested.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123