Thread: Voyage 500 New keels and rudders

Default Voyage 500 New keels and rudders

Hi Voyage owners,
    We decided to try and make it possible to sit the Voyage 500 on the beach. We are planning to take the boat up through PNG the islands then through Micronesia and the Philippines. One of the problems with Voyages 500 is that they cut the keels back to let the people off the front. Hopefully our modifications will make the boat sit level on the beach when it comes time to beach her and at the same time increase our upwind performance. Will let you know if it works
    L & N

PS Can't seem to get photos to upload of the modifications, I have noticed people talking about different ways of doing it. But sorry just too busy to take the time to sort the downloads out. Maybe will get the wife to have a look tonight if we get time.
    Lou
    Last edited by LouisAndNatasha; 10th April 2014 at 02:47 AM.

Default Re: Voyage 500 New keels and rudders

Only a few have cracked the photo problem. Apparently a software update is about to happen so that should sort it.

It will be interesting to see your pics when you can post them.

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Hi Mike,

It's all a bit beyond me at the moment. With my normal work and the boat on the hard stand, burning the candles at both ends. But should have the bottom of the boat finished over the weekend. Once the software update has happened, I'll give you a look at our handy work!

L&N

Easiest way to post photos is pdf a word doc
    or email the photos to your self but sent attachments as small, save new photos and use them when uploading images

the main problem i found is the 800 x800 size it "must not" be bigger then that so i use a program to resize my images and the upload them

Waiting with anticipation on your photos. when do you plan to wet the babes head and her back in the water

PS Can't seem to get photos to upload of the modifications, I have noticed people talking about different ways of doing it. But sorry just too busy to take the time to sort the downloads out. Maybe will get the wife to have a look tonight if we get time.
    Lou[/QUOTE]

Thanks Geoff and Marina. Just finished the last quote in the office, so heading down to the hard stand now. They're sitting her on her new keels at lunch time and I'll finish faring the bottom of the cat over the weekend. So should have her painted Monday/Tuesday and back in the water before next weekend. But then the rig is coming down and we will give it the once over as well. But have a 15m cat berth in Fremantle that we can have maybe permanately, but at least short term. So will be in Freo for the next month. Have to catch up for a meal at the sailing club one Friday night.
    L&N

I'm also watching with interest, and will be happy to view the photos as well.
    Just so I understand correctly, was the problem that the keel bottoms were slanted, or that the boat wasn't balancing on the keels properly? I understand the boat was sitting bow down, while sitting on her keels, I think.

Thanks.
    Paul.

KEELS:
    Hi guys, hopefully these will down load this time. I talked to a friend off the forum tonight who gave me some tips on uploading photos. So let's hope it works and I don't make a fool of myself again!
    Basically, we cut and shaped Oregon wood to fit the front of the keels and encapsulated this in an Australian hardwood called Jarrah. This stuff is really hard and a good tough wood with a tight grain. Then pulled it all apart and used a 2 pack epoxy bog to laminate the whole thing. Then jacking it all into the exact position we wanted using lasers to get the keels true to each other both ways. The hard wood Jarrah at the front was the exact radius of the bow to try and make it as close as we already had at the front. Then with foam we shaped the keel to what we wanted. I didn't want a big fat keel that would defeat the purpose of going up wind, but I still wanted a keel we could sit the boat on, so we kept the keels down to 200mm or 8" at the bottom, I think.
    We used double biased matting with extra heavy matting on the bottoms. All in all there is 4 full layers with over lapping joins every 500 for added strength. The rudders have approx. 10 layers of matting each side. We worked out the keels were going to be increased by approx. 45% so we tried to duplicate that on the rudders for tacking, etc..
    Lets hope the photos download and we're off to bed now, so will check for the comments tomorrow
    And yes, the reason we added the keel is so we are not bow down on the beach and we could do antifoul or repairs in the middle of nowhere if needed.
    L&N
    Attached Images Attached Images

KEEL & RUDDERS:
    Couple more photos. One photo is of the boat sitting on the keels for the very first time today.
    L&N
    Attached Images Attached Images

A picture really is worth a thousand words. Thanks for those.

That addition ought to help keep the bows up, in more ways than one.

Up off the beach, and up while beating to weather.

Nice job.

Paul.

Very interesting. I like the Rudder and would like to know how much that has helped the steering. I find if the sails are balanced those boats steer well. I like the idea of sitting level and have not had to dry out our boats like that yet. But thinking about the keels as they are from the factory, if the boat tilts forward that will help get the saildrive out of the water easier or more to facilitate an easier servicing operation for the saildrive.

Keep us informed on how the changes work out.

Hello fellow Voyager owners,

Well since I've posted this a few months ago, the day after I stood the rig with new rigging, I torn my bicep completely off the bone of my arm. So surgery, plaster, splints followed ever since then. Today was the first time we got a chance to try the new keels and rudders out as I got my arm out of the splint only last week. I don't know how it compares to dagger board cats, but compared to before, AWESOME!
    I could point as high as 30degrees in 17kn of true wind, but got down to 5kn of boat speed. Could comfortably maintain that for as long as I wanted. At 40-50 degrees, between 7-8knots really easily. And of course all other angles haven't really been affected. The big rudders make it great for backing around corners into berths such as my present pen and tacking and jiving was just a breeze. Would not hesitate to recommend this modification to any of my fellow Voyage owners, especially if you want to go up wind. A Rachael Pugh 42ft carbon race boat, literally pulled his main up beside me, he could out point me by about 3-4 degrees but couldn't get away from us, we had very similar boat speed and may even of been faster. Just wanted to share this with you as I've been wanting to sail some angles to see how the modifications worked.
    L&N