Thread: New Manta 46 catamaran in design/development

Default New Manta 46 catamaran in design/development

Well, we were all taken for a ride by that guy in North Carolina who said he bought the Manta molds and was restarting the company. As you know, that was all a fairy tale and/or delusional.

This time it is a lot more real. I recently communicated with the principal guy involved with the original (and real) Manta project and company, and he told me he has been working with the naval architect Cortland Steck in designing and specifying a new Manta 46 catamaran.

He said that design briefs and drawings will be published soon in several magazines and websites, including Blue Water Sailing, Cruising World and Multihull world.

He gave me some basics about it:
    - 46' long (obviously)
    - Long, narrow hulls - hull length/beam ratio=12
    - wave-piercing bows
    - LAR keels with centerboards (4'/8')
    - 41" bridgedeck clearance
    - 25,000lbs displacement
    - 1,250sf sail area on a spreader-less rig
    - Self-tacking jib and all sail handling done by a single person at the helm (like the original Manta)
    - Retractable bow sprits in both hulls
    - Like the original Manta, the target market is a cruising couple with occasional guests. Similarly, the boat will be built for offshore cruising.
    - Also like the original Manta, the boat will come standard loaded with equipment and other things like full bimini, cockpit enclosure, etc.

He said he wants to bring it in around $750,000 USD and aim it right between the charter cat designs and the take-no-prisoners performance designs. If so, this will be a pretty good performance cat (won't outrun an Outremer, but will do circles around a Lagoon/FP and will probably be in the current Catana arena), that will have more standard amenities than almost all other boats have available as options and will not require a crew to operate.

Just like the original Manta design! It will be interesting to see the rest of the info when it is published.

Mark
    Mark Cole
    Manta 40 "Reach"
    www.svreach.com

Default Re: New Manta 46 catamaran in design/development

Bluewater Sailing magazine has published a design brief on the Manta 46. It is supposed to be on their on-line site, but I don't have a subscription so can't access it. Does anyone subscribe to this?

I do have some pictures of the design from the Facebook page:

Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mark Cole
    Manta 40 "Reach"
    www.svreach.com

looks to me like the wheels fell off that Winnebago

Quote Originally Posted by boatsmith View Post
    looks to me like the wheels fell off that Winnebago
    ????

The design brief has been published in Multihulls Quarterly (I thought it was in BWS, but I think they are owned by the same company). The specs and lots of renderings are in it.

MM_May_June_2014

There is also a good writeup on Morrelli and Melvin, as well as some interesting foiling catamaran stuff.

Mark
    Mark Cole
    Manta 40 "Reach"
    www.svreach.com