Thread: Good NEWS - More ice in the antarctic than ever recorded !!

Default Good NEWS - More ice in the antarctic than ever recorded !!

Thats right, Antarctic has now more ice than there has ever been since records began.

Then add to that the bad experience of Germany when wind power produced nothing for a whole month leaving their energy system strained so that they are now building coal power stations as fast as they can .... some 18 of them.

Then add to that the the Australian climate change scientists, some 300 of them, are now so split on man made climate change that they have announced they can no longer issue any statements that would not mislead the public.....

Then add to that Canada, Australia, India have announced that no climate change policy is ever going to be allowed to get in the way of the economic growth of their nations ......

And you have the walls beginning to crumble as the earth heads into its 18th year without warming!!!!

The really big shock is not all that .... its The USA. The country that has adopted the least of the crazy green policies is now, according to its President, Obama heading to have more climate change policies and extend the agreements to the G10 etc...... sort of heading in the wrong direction so that when everyone else saw the writing on the wall the president of the USA just got the climate change message and went full hog into it. Someone should tell him... it's sad to watch.
    Safe Sailing
    Paul
    Blog: www.suliere.com

Default Re: Good NEWS - More ice in the antarctic than ever recorded !!

Interesting they have discovered that there is a great big geothermal event going on below Antarctica must be due to all those man made emissions.

The hot air produced by the manmade climate change lot plus all the flights for the many international conferences produce energy that has to go somewhere!!!
    Safe Sailing
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Interesting they have discovered that there is a great big geothermal event going on below Antarctica must be due to all those man made emissions.
    Is this the 'event' you refer to, perhaps? Here's National Geographic reporting on ...
    Shrinking Arctic Ice Prompts Drastic Change in National Geographic Atlas

As the ocean heats up due to global warming, Arctic sea ice has been locked in a downward spiral. Since the late 1970s, the ice has retreated by 12 percent per decade, worsening after 2007, according to NASA. May 2014 represented the third lowest extent of sea ice during that month in the satellite record, according to the National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC).
    Ice loss is accelerated in the Arctic because of a phenomenon known as the feedback loop: Thin ice is less reflective than thick ice, allowing more sunlight to be absorbed by the ocean, which in turn weakens the ice and warms the ocean even more, NASA says.
    Because thinner ice is flatter, it allows melt ponds to accumulate on the surface, reducing the reflectiveness of the ice and absorbing more heat.

"You hear reports all the time in the media about this," Valdés said. "Until you have a hard-copy map in your hand, the message doesn't really hit home."
    Arctic Mapping
    The multiyear ice—or older ice—is shown on the map as a large white mass; the maximum extent of sea ice—the pack ice that melts and refreezes with the seasons—is depicted as a line on the map, according to Rosemary Wardley, National Geographic's senior GIS cartographer. In the 10th edition, the multiyear ice is much smaller in area than on previous maps. The 5th edition of the atlas, published in 1989, was the first to comprehensively map the Arctic.
    Wardley and Valdés relied on two government resources that track Arctic ice data: NASA and the NSIDC. To map the multiyear ice, they took data from a 30-year study by NASA, published in 2012. "We wanted to have that comprehensive coverage," Wardley said.
    But Walt Meier, a research scientist at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center's Cryospheric Sciences Lab, said he's concerned that the map leaves out some important details that might mislead the public.
    He noted that the 10th edition should show the total area of the existing ice at the end of the summer, which would include the remaining ice that was newly formed over the previous winter.
    Scientists call that the total minimum sea ice cover, and it's measured in September. (Total maximum sea ice cover is measured in March, at the end of winter.)
    Without the minimum sea ice mapped, "ice that's one year old or less is not being shown," he said.
    "Personally, my thought is that it would be best to show the entire end-of-summer ice cover in white—which is how it generally would appear in a photo from above [without clouds]—with the multiyear area outlines or maybe offset in a different shade to highlight it. At the least, I think it would be good to put a clear line [to] denote the minimum extent," he said.
    "Ultimately," noted Meier, "it is an editorial decision as to what to show and how."
    Confirms Wardley: "We do not show the minimum extent simply because there is only so much information we can put on the map before it becomes confusing to the user."
    Variable Ice
    Meier is also concerned about relying on a single year-the new Arctic map draws from 2012 data, an extremely low year for ice cover.
    "If 2012 is shown, it is the record low year and probably overemphasizes the long-term trends. But if 2013, a higher year relative to recent years, is shown, it underemphasizes the trend. A potential solution would be to do an average over a few years."
    Valdés responded: "At the time of production of this map we were only able to find multiple sources from 2012, ... showing multiyear sea ice trends over a 30-year period." The 2012 source also fit better with the style of the map, he added.
    Publication schedules have an impact as well.
    "We are aware that the multiyear ice is constantly shifting and can change as often as every few months," he said. "That is certainly a challenge we have with these static maps, along with the fact that the production date is oftentimes many months earlier than the publication date of the map."
    Representing a dynamic environment in fixed form is always a challenge, said Valdés. Even so, atlases "open people's eyes to what's happening the world."

Karen

Of course if all the arctic ice cap melted sea levels would rise..... 0% because it is all floating anyway!!
    Only ice melting from land into the sea raises sea level.
    Safe Sailing
    Paul

A recent article from Christopher Booker, in The Telegraph:

When future generations try to understand how the world got carried away around the end of the 20th century by the panic over global warming, few things will amaze them more than the part played in stoking up the scare by the fiddling of official temperature data. There was already much evidence of this seven years ago, when I was writing my history of the scare, The Real Global Warming Disaster. But now another damning example has been uncovered by Steven Goddard’s US blog Real Science, showing how shamelessly manipulated has been one of the world’s most influential climate records, the graph of US surface temperature records published by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

Goddard shows how, in recent years, NOAA’s US Historical Climatology Network (USHCN) has been “adjusting” its record by replacing real temperatures with data “fabricated” by computer models. The effect of this has been to downgrade earlier temperatures and to exaggerate those from recent decades, to give the impression that the Earth has been warming up much more than is justified by the actual data. In several posts headed “Data tampering at USHCN/GISS”, Goddard compares the currently published temperature graphs with those based only on temperatures measured at the time. These show that the US has actually been cooling since the Thirties, the hottest decade on record; whereas the latest graph, nearly half of it based on “fabricated” data, shows it to have been warming at a rate equivalent to more than 3 degrees centigrade per century.

When I first began examining the global-warming scare, I found nothing more puzzling than the way officially approved scientists kept on being shown to have finagled their data, as in that ludicrous “hockey stick” graph, pretending to prove that the world had suddenly become much hotter than at any time in 1,000 years. Any theory needing to rely so consistently on fudging the evidence, I concluded, must be looked on not as science at all, but as simply a rather alarming case study in the aberrations of group psychology.

Footnote: I've highlighted the key section in red.

Karen

Yes fiddled data galore plus with hunts on those scientists that step out of line but its now all breaking up ...... its the most disgusting abuse of science ever.
    Safe Sailing
    Paul

Default Good NEWS More ice in the antarctic than ever recorded

I too am getting antsy for some more good news. The longer we wait, the more anxious I get. Come on Bill