Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: An interesting UK statistic

Default Re: An interesting UK statistic

I am sorry but it seems to me that is how myths are started.
    There is no way dressing soldiers as civilians to start fights could be covered up because too m,any people would know about it.

If that was rue then it would be illegal and wrong from every aspect but it simply cannot be true.

There fact is that the miners were living of the rest of society because they needed continuing subsidies. Somebody has to pay and the largest burden falls on the rest of the working population.
    Safe Sailing
    Paul
    Blog: www.suliere.com

You lost me after the first three words...

I believe Thatcher got chased out of office by her own party. Seems she was slightly of her rocker. Rather a cruel lady?
    I passed some facts on to you about Thatcher but you seem to ignore those.

Paul, when people cite sources of information that differs from your opinion and you respond with it must mythological perhaps it's time to take stock.
    Living or seeing an experience for one's self shapes one's ideology. I'm talking about what I saw, and was told by someone "there, as a young man. Not as a typical working class liar.
    In your case it might have been: doing well for yourself post thatcher.
    This is not necessarily everyone else's experience. Maybe my father fell down some stairs that day because he was a working class man and most likely drunk. As the working class are renowned for lowly actions. And god knows we're always making stuff up.
    Enjoy your bubble I sincerely hope it doesn't burst one day, if it does you won't cope.

Seems as if during Thatchers years as prime minister the inequality between classes grew and unemployment also grew. These seem to have never come down, but the wealthy are getting wealthier. Maybe that's the answer to your question Paul.

Tater
    Paul, when people cite sources of information that differs from your opinion and you respond with it must mythological perhaps it's time to take stock.
    Not at all. I look for the evidence and base my understanding on hard evidence. I consider that the UK government planting civilian dressed soldiers into a crowd to start a fight to be a myth because there is no hard evidence for it and a huge amount against it.

I was told in this thread that Reagan's tax cuts did not collect more tax so I looked for the evidence and quoted exact percentage figures back showing that not only did the tax yield increase but the tax take from the wealthy doubled!!!! Again I look for evidence not anecdotes. I can find witnesses to alien abductions but it does not mean they are true.

When those who discuss a subject with me make points that go against the evidence out there I disagree. If they point to evidence that goes against me I deal with it and have changed my mind.

Npobody ever knows what life can bring but you are wrong about me not coping with burst bubbles. Those around me know just how well I have coped with some life experiences that were extreme.

No matter what the subject I search for the truth and this is why on this very forum I have never once censored a word against me. That is not the action of a person living in a bubble.
    Safe Sailing
    Paul

SMJ
    Seems as if during Thatchers years as prime minister the inequality between classes grew and unemployment also grew. These seem to have never come down, but the wealthy are getting wealthier. Maybe that's the answer to your question Paul.
    Before Thatcher UK industry was reduced to a three day week, trash was not collected, bins not emptied and bodies not buried ....... the country was living in a bubble devoid from reality. We had to be rescued by the IMF.

I would like you to quote the figures but I would accept that inequality increased. That in itself is not a bad thing because there was a socially caring state to protect the poorest. Today we define poverty as this earning about 63% of the median wage .... under that definition we will always have poverty!!!!! It can never go away.

I have already stated - I wish to live in a state that cares for those who cannot care for themselves. What we have is a state that squanders huge amounts on those who can care for themselves at a cost to those who cannot care for themselves.
    Safe Sailing
    Paul

Blimey, guys - ok, so I don't have to read this thread - but is this forum something to do with catamarans ?

Nope its not
    But then bar chat is the one place in almost 100 forums on this web site where yoyo can discuss anything not related to catamarans.
    Safe Sailing
    Paul

OK - I'll just have to stay out of the bar then!

So you have no subjects other tan catamarans to take any interest in or have a view on that you would like to express? Not even a joke on the joke thread?

I am surprised as by default you have expressed a view that only multihull subjects should be discussed in the bar!!!!
    Safe Sailing
    Paul

No, sorry to disappoint but I don't like expressing my opinions on the internet. I find most of these discussions rather puerile and in the end, nothing gets solved. Furthermore positions taken by many posters just demonstrate pomposity and the discussions usually end in tears ...

Ok then we have to agree to disagree.

The entire point to me is a bit of banter of different subjects without any offence being taken or given. Simply the free exchange of ideas that may well happen in any English Pub.

One of the things I like about cruising is to escape from the madness of the world to at least some extent but that does not mean to say the madness does not continue ... it does.
    Safe Sailing
    Paul

use less energy?

Quote Originally Posted by ForumAdmin View Post
    You have NOT answered the question which is what to do now?

Secondly the energy is distributed in wind farms all over Germany. They granted communities huge grants to do it. So your answer does not work.

They have started on a crash programme of 18 coal fired power stations.

What is your answer?

Should wind farm plans be dropped because they offer zero power security?

They have also had to abandon the solar energy programme as well - there is just not enough Sun. Again granting huge amounts of money for individuals and communities to install solar but that also has zero power security.

So please spell out how what you would do to produce the energy?

In practice using less energy past what can be prevented in waste just means a lowering of living standards. A valid ;point but it has to be spelt out. Wind farms offer zero energy a lot of the time - in fact the vast majority of the time so what do you do in those times? Close industry down?
    Safe Sailing
    Paul

Ups, first post I think.

Paul, cut in spending on 'green' energy and getting back to 'conventional' energy is based on our exit out of 'nuclear' energy.

We are working hard on getting the power consumption down. Zero energy houses and stuff like that. And I think that's the only way to go if you don't want to live on and in nuclear waste for the next 150.000 years or so.

There is no such thing as a zero energy household - it even takes energy to make any household and of course the household has to work using energy.

I personally do not accept the claimed IPCC effects from manmade CVO2 and I simply put forward the fact that the models are now proven wrong with an 18 year period of no warming against every models prediction.

We are already living with nuclear waste without much issue and nuclear power is very clean in use and indeed the UK is now going to build the first one in many a year. Germany is building 18 coal power stations and coal power is expanding across the world.

If you want alternative energy sources then you have to put forward a practical solution that is not based on wishful thinking.

if it was me I would harness a lot more tidal power which is totally predictable.
    Safe Sailing
    Paul

We are already living with nuclear waste without much issue and nuclear power is very clean in use
    You stated earlier in the thread that you only deal in evidence based facts. Here's an evidence based fact: radioactive waste lasts forever. Are you suggesting that increasing the amount of radioactive waste is unlikely to become an issue because we're already living with it.

Asbestos was safe: the government of the day told us so. Lead, strychnine and mercury were once commonly used to treat ailments. At the time they were considered safe
    Last edited by tater; 11th November 2014 at 04:23 AM.

I agree that the hazard of radio active waste last a very long time - certainly measured in many lifetimes - fact.

However we have been dealing with it for a long time and do so safely - fact.

Is there a risk with it? Yes there is a risk that has to be managed - fact.

Your examples of mercury etc are when there was not the science to understand the hazards of those substances - fact. Your points on this are invalid because we do understand the risks with radio active waste.... fact.

If today radio active waste was considered safe then you would have a point but it is not considered safe and hence you do not have a point

I am putting policies forward that enable us to have energy to keep our society going - tell me, just what energy sources are you proposing that would do other than return us to pre-industrial revolution days? When questioning the policies I put forward you have to suggest an alternative and I can see none.
    Safe Sailing
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by ForumAdmin View Post
    I agree that the hazard of radio active waste last a very long time - certainly measured in many lifetimes - fact.

However we have been dealing with it for a long time and do so safely - fact.
    Sorry, Paul, but 'many lifetimes' is a kind of British understatement, or?

And regarding the 'dealing with it safely': I still remember the days in '86 when we were warned not to go outside. And that was just one occasion where the 'safely' in 'dealing with it' fell a bit short.

I agree that there isn't such a thing as 0-Energy but you have to start somewhere and one way is to reduce the overall energy consumption of things. And if we spend the amount of money we already spent for nuclear power in 'green energy' I'm sure the wise guys will come up with something.

But, anyway, the thread is about another topic. Your're right with your tax statistics, but i think no one wants to live in a world where the big and strong don't care for the smaller and weaker. Just as a general answer. In detail you'll find that the top tax payer profit from their taxes on their wealth (which they've most likely inherited) quite heavily, assuming British figures are close to the German ones.

Btw, I like this one:

Feminism ends when Mr. Right comes along.
    Communism ends above 2500 net a month.
    Atheism ends when the floorboards float out of the hatch.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast