Thread: Just So You Know - Gideon has left the forum

Default Just So You Know - Gideon has left the forum

Today Gideon asked to be removed from the forum.
    It is totally at his request.

So from now on Gideon cannot post on these forums.

I thought it best to tell everyone because they may well be asking him to respond, to a post when he is longer is able to.
    Safe Sailing
    Paul
    Blog: www.suliere.com

Default Re: Just So You Know - Gideon has left the forum

I don't know whether to be disappointed or not! He sometimes has interesting things to say but was caught out with "fantasies" so many times that presumably he's finally - and not before time - decided that he's doing his business massive harm by continuing to be shown for what he is. The downside of course is that prospective purchasers of his wares won't get the opportunity to witness his bizarre behaviour before potentially committing to buy one of his boats, although I suppose the earlier posts on this forum will live on.

Yes, in fact I have ensured that the old posts remain under his name as they should.

I think its a pity. I understand he does not post on CF either anymore.

This forum will never be used to bash any suppliers. I was pleased to be told by a major boating supplier that they considered this forum different to others on that issue.

There are no income streams to protect, no advertisers etc.

However the open nature of the forum does mean that suppliers can bash themselves as much as they like ,,,, as was the case here.

If a post bashes unfairly, then it would not be censored but the following posts would, I think, balance the matter.

No that Gideon has left, my self imposed restraint is lifted.

He never did answer who owns the FastCat seen in my recent trip.

In fact there are, in my opinion, only two sold Fastcats out there - Butterfly and Barnacle and the first one - the other two I think, Gideon still owns.

I am so, so grateful that we picked up the early signs and ran.

In my view he should offer to refund Dick & Karen - after all he claims he does not need the money
    Safe Sailing
    Paul

I know he has some more projects in progress, so we can expect to see some more fantastic claims on his website and in magazines.

I saw an advert for his demo Fastcat 435 as well as his so called Fastcat 48 which is just a renamed St.Francis 48, from when he was the St.Francis agent in Europe. (This is apparently the lightest SF48 around so has probably been infused with Helium like some of his own builds)

I know that he is under investigation by SABEX the South African Boatbuilders Export Council (I think it's called) where he is a member. Bringing the SA boatbuilding industry into disrepute is not viewed favourably by other members. This is due to the Butterfly blog I was told at the Miami boatshow by a leading SABEX member. I haven't checked if he has been deleted from their list yet.

Alan

In all this time only 4 boats have been produced.
    I understand and accept that 4 are in build.
    It beggars believe that I was told I would be his hull number 13.

He has stated to me that Karen and Dick are so happy with Butterfly & Barnacle that they would not want a refund.

I have responded to that by asking him to offer such a refund in public because if what he states is true, he will have stifled the criticism in one go and they will not take. But if they do take it he will be able to show how honourable he is and that would earn credibility.

I was once in Karen and Dick's position and I did the same as them, I did all to keep the builder sweet so as to maximise the amount to be put right .... there came a point when that hostage situation was over and I acted. That hostage situation will now be over for Karen and Dick. It will be interesting to see what happens.
    Safe Sailing
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by ForumAdmin View Post
    I understand he does not post on CF either anymore.
    He is still posting.
    The same old Gideon, in advertising mode.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
    (This is apparently the lightest SF48 around so has probably been infused with Helium like some of his own builds)

Alan
    Alan

I am sorry to have to correct you on this issue, but I think you meant that he had been infused with HOT AIR not helium as quoted, as all this would do would make his voice high pitched and squeaky.

Quote Originally Posted by ireaney View Post
    Alan

I am sorry to have to correct you on this issue, but I think you meant that he had been infused with HOT AIR not helium as quoted, as all this would do would make his voice high pitched and squeaky.
    Well there is an advantage to this you know. As long as the air/gas pressure in the hulls is higher than the sum of the barometric pressure plus the hydrostatic pressure, there will be no risk of osmosis in his boats.

Come to think of it, the slow diffusion of gas bubbles from the hulls is probably why his log readings are about 35% off. His claim of a more than 10 knot average across the Atlantic was proven to be around 6.8 knots from his own blog (that somehow got deleted from his website without his knowledge)

Alan

None of the four Fastcats that have crossed to date have managed to get anywhere near the claimed cruising speeds.
    Safe Sailing
    Paul

Gideon still advertises the St Francis 48 that he has in Holland as a Fastcat 48"-
    From his web site
    FastCat 48 Demonstrator ‘Out of Africa’

This gorgeous yacht is equipped with all possible options, including: hard-top bimini, in-boom-furling, water maker, double air-conditioning- double heating, solar panels, genset, schreecher, gennaker, etc. Besides being utterly complete this ship is perfectly finished, which you will immediately notice in the spacious saloon, galley, or one of the 4 double cabins en-suite. Every cabin has a private bathroom with shower and toilet. The master cabin also offers a desk and a small bathtub.

Perfectly suited for world cruising, while comfortably living and/or working on board!

On our way to several boat shows we have reached speeds of around and over 20 knots on several occasions and under power the two Yanmar 75 hp diesels will let you sail with over 9 knots.

It has been launched in 2003 and has only been used for boat shows and test sails.

Now for sale for a very interesting price.

‘Out of Africa’ is available for test sails in IJmuiden, Holland.
    This boat was built in the SF yard at St Francis for Gideon as a Customer, just like I am a customer - so does that entitle me to call my new boat the PB Marine 50 and claim it is my demonstrator? It turns me into an instant BS (boat supplier of course)!!!
    Safe Sailing
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by ForumAdmin View Post
    None of the four Fastcats that have crossed to date have managed to get anywhere near the claimed cruising speeds.
    Are any of us actually surprised.