Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Maverick 400 cracking up

Default Maverick 400 cracking up

I am lucky to be alive, 16 years ago my heart stopped while playing squash. Luckily a Police man was playing on the next court and gave me CPR. I had open heart surgery and an l Aortic Valve replaced, I’m not sure how long the valves last and don’t want to know ………………
    With the above in mind I decided to “retire early” and in 2007 sold my business to fulfil a dream of owning a new catamaran to operate charters in the Gulf of Auckland New Zealand and sailing the Pacific islands.
    My dream has turned into a nightmare. After 3 years of battling Maverick to get what I ordered, I have now given up and will be putting Andando on the market in “as is where is” condition. I have absolutely no use for a boat I can’t use for charter and never have !
    This is a long blog but I’m going on a longish holiday to relieve the stress. So a short version will have to do until I have the energy and time to complete it on my return.
    First take a look at my New Maverick 400 which was supposed to be the “NZ Showboat”!
    BORKED
    BORKED
    BORKED
    BORKED
    Key Facts
    • It was agreed and understood that my order and contract was for a Maverick 400 , to be used for charter and built to NZ certification, all costs including a Maritime NZ Approved Surveyor ,design approval etc ,were to be Mavericks and to be fair they have paid for these.
    • Maverick failed to comply with NZ Maritime requirements and did not engage a NZ Approved Surveyor to oversee the build as promised.
    • Andano was not built according the design approved plans, build contract and NZ Maritime requirements.
    • Andando started to crack up and the entire interior (water based ) paint blistered days into its maiden voyage and in calm seas. Andando continues to crack further .
    • Allan Firbank the delivery skipper was wrongly blamed for the structural failures. (ref launch of Andando thread) . He and numerous others have stated ,Andando flexes too much .
    • Upon arrival in NZ it was found that the main mast bulkhead was not attached to the hull on one side. A list of warranty work completed and outstanding is attatched.
    • Surveyors in NZ requested the entire interior be stripped out in order to be inspected to satisfy a post build survey. (cost guestimate over $100,000)
    • On the 19th of October 2012, in a Skype conversation (on speaker phone) Rudi offered to replace Andando with a new boat complying with NZ SSM requirements rather than spend the money stripping out Andano. This made sense and I agreed. This conversation was witnessed by Bobby, who was on holiday with me in Vietnam at the time. This has turned out to be simply “hot air”!
    • Andando has been in various stages of repair over the last 2 years. Maverick were advised by me and an independent survey report that the repair was far from satisfactory. Maverick ignored this advice and made the final payment to the repairers.
    • Robin Williams( one of our top surveyors) survey is attached.
    As I am away on holiday (unfortunately not on my boat) I will be sporadically out of touch with the internet. This whole sager will be continued in detail upon my return. Andando is now officially on the market and a link to my web site is attached maverickcatamaranforsale.com
    To those who have supported me over the last 3 years –thank you . Peter
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Maverick 400 cracking up

The first video was taken when the boat arrived in New Zealand. The other videos have been taken upon receiving Andano AFTER repair –believe it or not!

ANDANDO WARRANTY CLAIM EXISTING

Cracks extensive throughout the boat- see reports
    Repairs done to boat prior to leaving the factory. unsatisfactory
    All deck fittings not sealed and rusting – see report
    Tachometer port not working
    Locker struts Broken/ FWD Port and Starboard
    Deck wash – never worked
    Windvane complete unit- fell off mast on delivery
    Helm seat – Rocks side to side and too heavy
    Helm seat base fills with water
    Life raft needs finishing after being moved
    Battery – wrong type fitted to engines
    Paint work substandard – see reports
    Boarding ladder unsafe/dangerous unsecure
    Main entry sliding door lock Rusty
    Main entry sliding door Rollers Rusty
    Main entry doors don’t fit letting water in
    Main entry doors don’t stay open
    Main entry Windows – sliders don’t fit tracks
    All mirrors in Starboard cupboard and heads rusty
    Sliding door doesn’t fit or latch
    Both shower pumps failed and poor design
    Bilge pumps port and starboard failed and not secured
    Starboard toilet water inlet inadequate flow
    Both hand basins not level causing water to pool
    Floor module in starboard head and cabin cracked – see report
    Rear windows leak
    Port shower leak
    Port shower fittings rusted
    Starboard sliding door is out of alignment
    Rust stains from screws behind bench tops in heads
    All cupboard doors and cabin doors out of alignment
    Draws and door latches do not operate correctly
    Vernier on main saloon table lifting/blister
    Timber and panels in saloon interior not fitted correctly.
    Bridal not adequate- too short
    Rear hammock seat single stitching has failed
    Marina electrical certificate failed – see report
    Gas LPG control faulty
    Anchor chain well not deep enough
    Hob too close to freezer top
    Anchor locking pin hole and pin not aligned
    Water drain holes in lockers not flush (resulting in water retention)

Warranty Work Carried out
    (post-delivery)

Paint work. Strip all blistered water based paint used (hand brushed and rolled) on interior and Repaint *
    Mast head bulk head port forward found to be not taped to the hull (now fixed)
    Emergency hand bilge pump- starboard fitted wrong way causing air to be pumped in not water out (re-fit)
    Engine/gearbox seals replaced
    Propellers found to be not fitted correctly on arrival (nearly fell off on route) refitted
    Large 1meter crack in external gel coat outside by main bulkhead (repaired)
    All squabs had to recovered and all external squabs repaired
    Life raft moved to a suitable position
    Trampoline Fittings rusting -mild steel –replaced with stainless steel
    Davits – completed to be operational
    Large cracks on exterior hull around pad eyes fixed
    Saloon table redesigned/ modified (but still not working easily)
    Cupboard doors in galley above oven refitted (fell off on delivery)
    TV repositioned correctly
    Repaired void in celling laminate above starboard passageway
    Modified door in starboard head to stop water flooding into passageway
    Glass splash backs remade correctly and reinstalled
    Helm seat completed/ was not finished prior to launch
    Bilge inspection hatches repaired
    Large cracks in stairwell and below rear bulkhead repaired

*Maverick refused to spray paint this show boat, owner paid for the correct two pot spayed finish.

Other Issues

Andando is not built to the design approved plans
    Andando is not built to the contract / not to New Zealand standards for charter use and failed to comply with maritime New Zealand instructions
    Other Issues as per survey reports
    Galley bench modules poor quality
    Galley bench top too low resulting in bench to be cut out for washing machine installation
    Vents on fridge not the ones requested
    Rubbish bin in bench top not requested
    Lights in saloon not as requested
    Light switches not as requested
    Basins in heads not as requested
    Mirrors in cabins not as requested
    Door latches not as requested

Note: Prior to start of build a USB stick was supplied and files/photos ect. discussed in person with Maverick. However Maverick claim they lost the stick with detailed requests as above.

G'day Mate
    Sorry you had such a bad run, you may be able to get your boat in survey in Fiji or somewhere in the Pacific? I realise just how hard it is to put a boat from overseas in survey in Australia and New Zealand we seem to have the most incredible survey regulations in the world, right over the top . Our Cat was in survey in the US, and I was told it would cost approximately 100K to comply with Australian laws to put her in survey here.

And I do agree a boatbuilder is contracted to build to a country survey he should've done that sorry to hear your headache , you could just go sailing and enjoy yourself and take a bit of pressure of the ticker, hope you find what you're looking for out there
    L&N

Its not hard to get a boat from OS in survey in Aus, BUT, and its a big BUT, you have to prepare for it from the start, i.e. before the boat is built. Seawinds built os can be put in Aus survey for approx $15-20K, BUT you must make that decision up front, been though there is no structural difference per se, all the little things and the inspections and core samples etc etc can only really be done during build and not after it. You also have to have the add on stuff to Aus law, e.g. 240 volt wiring, LPG etc.

It really is about doing it before the boat starts being built. And that usually means the builder needs to understand the requirements of the destination country.

AMSA survey is actually not that hard if planned for from the start, but near impossible if not.

Yes ,you are correct ,that is why I put Rudi in touch with the Safety Ship Management company ,Maritime NZ rules regarding the build and also the surveyor qualified to inspect and follow the proceedure through BEFORE starting the build .Rudi actually phoned the surveyor in NZ to discuss the cost's that Maverick would incur.I was told he was to be flown out and "although the cost was not budgeted for,I will honour the agreement and take it out of my childrens education fund " .Not sure that I could do much more really .

Quote Originally Posted by andando View Post
    Yes ,,I will honour the agreement and take it out of my childrens education fund " .Not sure that I could do much more really .
    Since using this as a slander fest, i am sure there are creditors out there that would love to know that you have money stowed away somewhere! And how does one operate a "charter company" whilst in bankruptcy?!?!
    Or is the internet lying again when i do a search on New Zealand bankruptcies

Oh-Oh
    Maybe Sailing in to the sunset is an option after all.

Quote Originally Posted by floatdaboat View Post
    Since using this as a slander fest [...]
    I assume you're not including all the worrying photographs and videos of a whole range of "issues" - images that are obviously undoctored and straight off the camera - in the term, "slander"?

(and splitting hairs, the word 'slander' is applicable only to spoken untruths; libel is the word you're looking for.)

i am sure there are creditors out there that would love to know that you have money stowed away somewhere! And how does one operate a "charter company" whilst in bankruptcy?!?!
    Or is the internet lying again when i do a search on New Zealand bankruptcies
    All of which - if true - does not in any way affect the validity of the evidence in those photos and videos.

However, I can appreciate that this thread is not exactly music to your ears, floatdaboat, and have sympathy with your situation. So let's hope Maverick have addressed the many obvious issues seen in Andando and that you have a far happier experience.

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post

However, I can appreciate that this thread is not exactly music to your ears, floatdaboat, and have sympathy with your situation. So let's hope Maverick have addressed the many obvious issues seen in Andando and that you have a far happier experience.

Karen
    Karen,

From previous threads that you have posted on this forum, i doubt that you are looking at this objectively. It is a one sided "Slander" from Mr. Windsor. I have only highlighted that he is not necessarily credible. There is always two sides to the story but Mr. Windsor has chosen to only highlight things favourable to him. I have stayed quiet up to now but i believe that this matter clearly needs to be fought out in court and this forum should not be used in this way. It should be used to gain knowledge and from each other and not to slander.

As for my dealings with Rudi, i have never met another person in business that is more willing to go out of his way to please his customer. No product is perfect but he has gone out of his way to correct any issues that arose for us

Karen,

From previous threads that you have posted on this forum, i doubt that you are looking at this objectively. It is a one sided "Slander" from Mr. Windsor.
    Photos and videos that have not been doctored are incapable of being 'slanderous'. Nor, more correctly, 'libellous'. Any which way you look at them, those photos and videos - highly unwelcome as they are to you - are objective evidence. I deliberately haven't commented on Peter's text.

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Photos and videos that have not been doctored are incapable of being 'slanderous'. Nor, more correctly, 'libellous'. Any which way you look at them, those photos and videos - highly unwelcome as they are to you - are objective evidence. I deliberately haven't commented on Peter's text.

Karen
    http://www.insolvencywatch.co.nz/sol...inder-limited/

How can you buy a brand new boat worth $ 550,000 NZ when you ARE insolvent??????

This is evidence that has not been doctored with and also not capable of being "Libellous" as you like that word better.

Just Sayin.........

http://www.insolvencywatch.co.nz/sol...inder-limited/

How can you buy a brand new boat worth $ 550,000 NZ when you ARE insolvent??????

This is evidence that has not been doctored with and also not capable of being "Libellous" as you like that word better.

Just Sayin.........
    What is the fuss. That notice refers to a solvent liquidation.

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

I'm not taking sides here but as a matter of course, the note refers to Mr Windsor being a director of a company that is in administration. It doesn't mean the company is broke it also doesn't mean that Mr Windsor is broke.

And please lets not get tied up with words like slander libel and the like. Peter is entitles to prosecute his case and Rudi is entitled to prosecute his case.

I do understand where Floatdaboat is coming from, last thing any purchaser needs is a dispute about their manufacturer. But that doesn't mean that Peter can't have his say. And if Rudi responds and clears things up, that will only do good for Maverick.

Now , back to Andando ,if you look at my past threads I have also defended Maverick and Rudi at the early stages of having my boat built and despite the issues, I actually like Rudi and his new partner and they were welcomed by me again in August . I have also listed all the things that have been put right by Maverick and have tried to work through this with Rudi and his partner for the last 3 years . Rudi has visited NZ twice now and I thank him for trying to sort Andando .The fact remains that it is not sorted and they have now decided to walk away from the issues .They have also spent approx $70k on trying to sort out Andando but the fact is, it could cost another $100-200k depending on what is found when the interior is removed .

Quote Originally Posted by dmmbruce View Post
    What is the fuss. That notice refers to a solvent liquidation.

Mike
    Yes, you are correct this was a solvent liquidation and as such everything was paid up todate ! Actually,far from being bankrupt, I offered to pay for all the repairs to bring Andando up to an acceptable standard and Maverick could pay me back over 3 years !
    floataboat calling me a bankrupt will probably be the most slanderous posting on this thread .I hope they have the decency to appologise and remove that thread comment !

ozmultis ,you are correct . The difference between the cost of Sea Wind going into to survey is this -
    The Maverick plans needed to be significantly strengthened for it to comply with NZ Maritime certification .I am aware the main ringframe needed to be enlarged as part of the design approval -this was not done .If The Sea Wind is already built to the Australian standards then there would be only minor modifications to comply .

I am staying out of the subject of this thread but must respond to this off subject matter from FloatABoat.
    but i believe that this matter clearly needs to be fought out in court and this forum should not be used in this way. It should be used to gain knowledge and from each other and not to slander.
    I am sorry but that is simply wrong.
    The forum is here f0r any matter related to multihulls and in particular is there for the truth. In practice courts should be the last resort not the only option. One could even argue that the SA court procedure is not really a practical option for overseas customers buying a boat from SA. For me with one boat it was not even a serious option for me to pursue a complete refund on a boat plus expenses through UK courts. Those who had tried that with one boat builder failed whilst I succeeded.

You are correct in stating that gaining knowledge from each other is a vital part of what the forum is about and surely one of the most important aspects of knowledge is sharing the after sales experience from different boat builders?
    Given that the choose of boat is probably the most important decision , as regards boats, we ever make!

I also wish to point out that libel is when someone writes something that is not true. The rule for the forum is simply that the claims must be true and must be able to be proven as true. If these two requirements are met there is no libel.

My advice, for what it is worth, is that as claims of poor service have been made, then in the interest, of everyone involved they should be answered. Just ignoring the claims and engaging in unrelated personal attacks is only damaging to those making those attacks. Such attacks only make matters worse for the boat builder and do not answer anything to do with the subject of the thread. Further, as in this case, when the personal attacks are not even true they are in fact libellous. Hence, if those libelled wish to complain to me, I would have no choice but to delete the libel.

I too suffered personal attacks in the Suliere matter. All it did was damage the other side in the matter for who would wish to buy from someone who insults customers like that rather than answer the points being made? In this case the boat builder has not responded as yet but you are doing him a disservice by responding the way you have. With friends like that, you do not need enemies.

I personally like Rudi as a person and have no wish to harm him or his business. I am not taking sides in this matter. I am just trying to explain what this forum is about and to try to prevent future libellous personal attacks.
    Safe Sailing
    Paul
    Blog: www.suliere.com

I am posting this to inform those following this thread that, at the request of Andando, I have removed a post from him that explained the untruth of the allegations against him but may have upset a bereaved family.

I wish to point out that the allegations of bankruptcy against him and unpaid creditors are totally untrue and the allegations were therefore libellous.

I hope that members can focus on the issues and not make untrue personal attacks on other members.
    Safe Sailing
    Paul
    Blog: www.suliere.com

WHO WOULD BE A DELIVERY SKIPPER ? ( Pictures to follow)

My name is Allan Firbank. I was contracted to Peter Windsor, through Rudi at Maverick, to deliver Andando from Cape Town to Auckland. In good faith I undertook to deliver a new, well found and above all seaworthy craft. As you know this was not to be.

Let me stress at this point that as a person who has owned my own boats and been around them most of my life I understand Peter’s absolute despair at how his dream has turned out, however I am not responsible in any way. At all times, after the safety of my crew, my concern was protecting my client’s rights unfortunately at the expense of my own.

I ask you to examine the pictures and some selected mails I sent to Peter, some before St. Helena and tell me what you would have done if I was the skipper delivering your new boat and sent you this information. I can understand you hoping desperately that sudden senility had overtaken me and that I was wrong but in view of all the supporting opinions from professional people and how easy it would be to verify, disregarding what I had to say totally threw me. One phone call to Sparcraft and they would have told him it was ridiculous to say the rig held the boat together.

As far as what Rudi had to say about me, everything starting with a delivery skipper who thought the chainplates had to be moved to tension the rigging, nothing he says is true. Far from being “too honourable “ to name me he was just avoiding giving me a slam dunk case of slander. If anyone wants to query any point please do.

Since returning home Peter and I have exchanged many mails(initiated by Peter) In them I have answered all Peter’s questions as fully as I could. The only time I have lost patience is when he has accused me of something underhand. At the start I told Peter that a wiser man, on the basis that what you say can be used against you, would keep silent but I had nothing to hide and he is welcome to publish any mail I sent him.

Since returning home my assessment of the boat to Peter has been that the problems stemmed from the athwart ship beam under the mast particularly on the port side. I believe this is aggravated by the large door and windows in the main saloon aft bulkhead. The fixed transparent overhead hatch in the cabin top against the door doesn’t help either. I stand by this. In my opinion this is a marginal design which if the quality control during construction is very strict may be OK but any small deviation and you will have trouble. This is borne out by other Mavericks cracking e.g. Catlyn

In our recent mails Peter has agreed that the problems were not as result of my negligence(i.e. “my extreme neglect of the rigging”) I have also put it to him that Johan due partly to a lack of experience (he was where I was nearly 40 years ago when I arrived in Trinidad on my 1st trip) and being blinded by the fact that he owned the sister ship, made a serious error of judgement. That he risked his family’s lives . If he had got the right, or wrong, weather he would have been in serious trouble. Peter agreed and added that his life was at risk on the leg he did.
    So Peter agrees I did not cause the problems, he also agrees I was correct to pull out. In fact he has admitted as much to me in private mails nearly 2 years ago and said that I’m due an apology but never made one or said who should apologise. He now says he will make a public apology on the Launch of Andando blog and has made what I consider to be an inadequate apology to me privately but has been quite happy to leave everyone with the impression that I was to blame and so preventing me from earning a living.

I’m aware my work comes from the builders and not individual clients like Peter, I none the less resisted the unacceptable pressure put on me by Rudi and his sycophants to do what was patently unseamanlike, and please don’t think I didn’t see all this nonsense coming. I think of Johan’s “Peter now has his beautiful boat” comment no doubt said to preserve the resale value of Catlyn and wonder whether I should have played the same game. Unfortunately this would have meant risking my crew’s lives.So tell me members of this forum what would have had me do?
    In short, I believe I fulfilled my contract and did everything I would hope a delivery skipper I had employed would do.

EMAILS AND DISCUSSIONS

Sent shortly after leaving Luderitz
    I’m sure rudi has told you we’re on the way but I don’t know whether he has informed you that we are having problems on the boat. We had a minor engine fault which we sorted out after stopping in Namibia. W e also have ongoing problems with the electrics both with the instruments and the charging system. However of real concern to me are the cracks which have opened in the boat shown in the attached pictures.
    I expect some flex in all boats including mono-hulls but not to the extent that we are getting. Leaving C.T. we had no wind and were motoring but despite this the cracks shown in pics. 1 to 4 opened up. I sent pics of these to Rudi from Namibia who dismissed them as cosmetic and easily repaired. Since leaving Namibia we have had very light conditions with barely enough wind to sail, none the less the cracks shown in pics no X to no. X opened in the boat.
    I have on 4 occasions had wind of over 50knots on cat deliveries ( on 1 occasions with very bad sea leaving C.T.) also I beat to the Med. against 25 to 35 knt. winds for over 2 weeks and have prior to this never had a crack of any sort open in a boat. Whilst many of the cracks shown are undoubtedly cosmetic I don’t feel that those in pics no X Y and Z are. I also feel that even if all the cracks are cosmetic the amount of flex causing them is unacceptable.
    I’ll be the first to admit that I am not a boat surveyor or builder but I do have to err on the side of caution. I am not a person who thinks cats “ break up” as I’ve heard so many mono sailors say and have a lot of faith in them but to my mind this is a definite problem. Because of the flex the mast is working more than it should and if we get into bad weather something could fail and people can get seriously hurt.
    If it wasn’t for the fact that the Northern part of the S atlantic has very settled weather quite frankly I would leave the boat here. We have stopped in St Helena both to put more diesel on because of the slow rate of charge and because mail via my sat phone can’t handle attachments. What I can suggest is that I carry on to Fortalesa and re-assess the situation there. If I feel it’s safe I will carry on to Trinidad were they have proper boat yards and hopefully a yacht surveyor.
    In the mean time I suggest you show these pics to someone with the right qualifications in Auckland and get their opinion.
    Peter as you may have gathered from the very competitive quote I gave for this delivery I was very keen to do it, both to sail the Maverick and to go through Panama and the S Pacific so I don’t say the above lightly. Although we have mostly had too little wind when we have half way decent sailing conditions Andando has performed well so it is doubly disappointing.
    I will remain here for another day or so and can be mailed on allan@skyfile.com ( please no attachments or scanned items)or if you wish to phone me sms me first so I know when to put my sat phone on. The no. Is 00881631514084

Sent 27th july 2011
    Subject: Fwd: AndandoHi Peter ,
    I've decided to try and summarise the situation as I see it.The problems with
    the electrics and anchor etc. are not things I would have normally informed you
    of, although you are my client I do have some loyalty to the factory as well
    (although at this point Rudi probably wouldn't agree) and these are things that
    happen with boats and can be attended to.
    The flexing however is another matter as even if it is not an immediate danger
    will definitely affect the boat in the mid to long term. None the less I gave
    Rudi an opportunity to come to Luderitz and address the matter. He chose not to
    do so. I, partly, through wishful thinking left Luderitz without informing
    you,hoping things would not escalate Unfortunately this wasn't to be. We had
    light winds leaving and immediately the cracks got worse and more appeared.
    currently there are 10 or so.We have been motoring in dead calm since then.
    All Rudi can do (in my opinion) is fill the cracks which will open again as soon
    as you get in a seaway.
    Because in C.T. any attempt to give Rudi advice was not well received I quickly
    lost patience with his attitude. When one is employed for ones experience and
    good refs. and then ignored, it is very frustrating.
    My advice is something that I mentioned before. Let me take the boat to Trinidad
    where they have facilities to do what ever you decide to do. I also hope that
    you meet the boat there so we can sit down face to face and you can decide
    whether I am just a hot head or whether I do know what I am talking about.
    You have no idea how much this depresses me as undoubtedly it will affect my
    ability to get more work so I have not said the things I have lightly.
    Regards,
    allan
    P.s. as I'm not of the computer age I got my resident Cyborg i.e. a young
    computer geek in my crew to send the mails . Unfortunately he is Afrikaans and
    this resulted in the speeling mistakes in the address

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Date: Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 6:12 AM
    Subject: Andando
    To: pwmaverick <pwmaverick@gmail.com>

Hi Peter, To: pwmaverick@gmail.comYacht Surveyor
    Professional Captain
    -Yacht Consultant-Rigger-
    Surveys Approved By Lloyds’ Underwriters
    PEAKE YACHT SERVICES TELEPHONE/FAX: (868) 634-4161
    TRINIDAD W. I. E-MAIL surveys@tstt.net.tt CELL: (868) 743-5797
    S/Y “ANDANDO”
    A superficial preliminary inspection of the vessel was carried out at the request of
    the captain while the vessel was moored alongside the customs dock at Crews
    Inn Hotel Marina, Chaguaramas, Trinidad, W.I. !6 August 2011
    A stress crack was noted at the starboard sidedeck just outboard the Coachouse
    coaming.
    Stress cracks were noted in the main saloon at the deckheads and starboard
    diagonal coachouse corner post and port deck beam.
    At the port AMA cracking was noted at the bulkhead in the fore cabin, the head,
    door frames, at both amas doors were found to exhibit problems closing
    properly.
    The number, apparent depth and location of the cracks and the captains report
    of the behavior of the standing rig while underway indicate to this surveyor the
    vessel is flexing excessively.
    It must be understood that this surveyor did not inspect any areas except those
    noted as this inspection was carried solely to ascertain whether a detailed
    inspection is necessary.
    It is the firm opinion of this surveyor based on the above observations and
    conversations with the captain and crew regarding weather conditions along the
    route of the voyage thus far, that a full out of water survey of the vessel must be
    carried out to insure the structural integrity of the and safety of the crew before
    the vessel embarks on any further voyage.
    It is the opinion of this surveyor that failure to comply with this recommendation
    may put the vessel and crew at risk unnecessarily and would constitute a grave
    misjudgment on the part of the owner.
    Subject: Re: AndandoTo: pwmaverick@gmail.com
    Subject: Re: Andando
    X-CodePage: utf-8

Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 07:45:11 -0400
    Subject: Fwd: Andando
    To: allan <allan@skyfile.com>
    X-CodePage: utf-8 Good Morning (In Trinidad) Peter,
    Thanks for the reply, I never received the first one but that's not unusual.
    Peter, I understand that Rudi may not be concerned about the cracks,
    however, I reiterate, I am more than reasonably sure that those I observed
    are not the whole story as I was only aboard a short time.
    I urge you to authorize a full survey to insure that ALL possible problems
    have been discovered.
    Should you belive that I am not qualified, have been in any way influenced
    by Allan or have a personal axe to grind, or am just looking for a fee, I
    will happily send you the email address of other surveyors in whom I have
    confidence.
    Best regards'
    Bill

Good Morning (In Trinidad) Peter,
    Thanks for the reply, I never received the first one but that's not unusual.
    Peter, I understand that Rudi may not be concerned about the cracks,
    however, I reiterate, I am more than reasonably sure that those I observed
    are not the whole story as I was only aboard a short time.
    I urge you to authorize a full survey to insure that ALL possible problems
    have been discovered.
    Should you belive that I am not qualified, have been in any way influenced
    by Allan or have a personal axe to grind, or am just looking for a fee, I
    will happily send you the email address of other surveyors in whom I have
    confidence.
    Best regards'
    Bill

Allan, For your information, peter emailed me and basically said he sent the
    info in my email to Rudi, he also mentioned that Rudi though the rigging
    hadn't been properly tuned before you left S.A. I had meant to Cc you but
    forgot to hit the button.
    BillyDate: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 07:45:11 -0400
    Maverick FaultsTo: pwmaverick@gmail.com

Hi Peter,
    I have received a mail from Bill which says that Rudi feels the rigging was
    not correct in C.T. Which quite honestly leaves me flabbergasted. I naturally
    checked it before I left as did the mast company. The rigging naturally
    stretches a bit and would need tuning now anyway. The only reason not to
    tighten it now is that if there is a problem with the boat you are just
    putting more load on it.
    I'm surprised that you are precomputer, I had pictured you as much younger.
    Regards,
    Allan

Hi peter,
    Well I have both good and bad news. In the Marina where we are now is a
    large French cat which has just undergone extensive repairs and the hands of
    a very experienced French catamaran builder. He has just spent some time
    giving the boat a very thorough inspection. Unlike everyone else who has
    looked he is not as negative as they have been.He says the cracks are
    cosmetic but the cause needs to be established. However he says he needs to
    get a proper drawing of the front beam ie. the beam supporting the mast.On
    the port side where most of the problems are there have been access holes
    for plumbing drilled through the beam and he says this is affecting the
    strength.
    Regarding the mast he says the rigging must remain loose as it will just
    bend the boat more and that we just have to live with the movement.The
    aperture through which the mast passes needs to made a lot bigger to allow
    the mast to move without hitting the sides.
    He does say without this ie the beam structure, being checked out properly
    we would be taking a chance crossing the Pacific.
    His name is Phllippe Richard his e-mail is aikane@flowtrinidad.com
    Peter please understand my frustration. I allowed 90 days for this delivery,
    we joined the boat on the 10th june it is now 70 odd days later and we are
    not yet half way. we still have no idea when we will get out of Trinidad.My
    first mate has other commitments and is talking about leaving.
    Regards,
    Allan
    To: "ALLAN" <Allan@SkyFile.com>
    Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 12:09:00 -0400

Dear Allan,

Thank you for having me on board this morning,

Regarding the various cracks I have seen on board of your vessel,
    purpose of your concerns I would like to highlight the following:

The possibilities of these cracks affecting the structural integrity
    of the boat can be establish only with the help of the manufacturer
    AND the designer. We need at least to have in hand the plans of the
    mast bulkhead or any part of the structure playing the role of beam
    under the mast and its connection to the hull, only then will we be
    able to declare all these cracks as "cosmetics".

I want to advise some reserve with regard to sailing in heavy weather
    due to the apparent lack of structure in the area of what seems to be
    a mast bulkhead and the connection of the hull at the fore cabin inner
    bottom frame corner on port side. This detail can only be clarified by
    the designer's technical option used to fabricate the mast bulkhead
    and therefore the boat's structure.

I remain at your disposal to assist you in case you decide further
    investigation.

Regards,

Philippe Richard

Director of Operations

Catamaran Village/ Aikane Trinidad Limited.

On Aug 22, 2011, at 11:11 AM, ALLAN wrote:

> Hi Philippe,
    > Thanks very much for your time and advice today. You have given me a
    > lot to
    > think about.I have sent your request to the owner and we will now
    > have to
    > wait. His name is Peter Windsor his e-mail is pwmaverick@gmail.com
    > The builder is Rudi Pretorius rudi@maverickyachts.co..za
    > Thanks again,
    > Allan Firbank
    >

Yes the rigger came but after looking at the boat was more alarmed than I was
    about the cracking and said he would send a report to that effect to Sparcraft
    the mast manufacturer who sent him.
    Regards, To: pwmaverick@gmail.com

Allan
    To: pwmaverick@gmail.com

Hi Peter,
    Your mail raises several points. I'm disappointed that you feel I would still
    be liable for some of the survey costs. I said if I insisted on the survey and
    it turned out to be unnecessary. As it is 3 independent professional people(4
    if you include Greg Down yard manager for Peake Yacht Services) feel that the
    boat needs to be inspected.Also 2 other highly experienced skippers here have
    given me their personal opinion that they would not take this boat anywhere.
    As far as things being promptly attended to, within 1 hour of the working day
    starting after my arrival here both Greg Down and Bill Wray had seen the boat
    since then very little has happened..
    As far as the electrics are concerned I queried why the lights were coming on
    in the Sterling unit when we first had charging problems but Rudi did not
    respond.The settings of the unit are not visible without opening the unit and
    the literature specifically states any interference with or altering of the
    unit negates the warranty. If Rudi had put me in touch with Peter Swannepoel in
    the first place the problem would have been a minor one.
    With regards to the flexing of the boat my position is still the same. In the
    mid to long term this boat is soft, in the short term no one can say with any
    certainty what will happen.No matter what anyone says or the results of the
    survey these cracks should not occur in a newly built well found boat.I did not
    cause the situation nor am I responsible for it.As I said early on in the trip
    the messenger always gets shot.
    An essential part of crossing an ocean on a small boat is confidence in the
    boat.One has to believe that barring an "act of god" ie a freak storm or wave
    or seriously bad luck one is going to arrive safely--I unfortunately do not
    believe this about Andando.
    At this point I feel we need to terminate our agreement and resolve our
    financial situation.Despite what our agreement says maritime law holds you
    responsible for repatriating the crew. On my return to South Africa I would be
    prepared to sit down with any experienced arbitrator to resolve the situation.
    Regards,
    Allan
    Firstly my expenses before leaving C.T. amounted to R62000.My expense since
    with forced stops have amounted to plus/minus R23000. The people who have said
    the boat needs a survey have said so not because of what I have said but
    because of their own preliminary inspections. When I maid my offer of
    part payment I assumed no one would give any opinion without pay. Starting
    with Rudi in C.T. everything I have said has been questioned. The mistake I
    made was carrying on from Luderitz when my head said walk but not wanting to
    leave anyone in the lurch I carried on. No good deed goes unpunished.
    As I've said to the crew many times it gives me no pleasure to tell you or
    Rudi that there are problems with the boat. Because I'm an idiot who just
    tries to please I indulge in wishful thinking to carry on in a boat which
    could end up killing people. Bill Wray is a Lloyds approved surveyor. Niels of
    Budget rigging is a civil engineer with boat building experience. Bill says
    the boat needs a survey. Niels goes further and states flat out the boat is
    structurally unsound.The French guy says the rigging has to be left as it is
    and not tightened, that the aperture in the cabin top needs to be made bigger
    so that the mast does not hit against the sides as it swings around as the boat
    behaves as he put it"like a French accordion" in future, this no matter what
    the survey says.
    I listen when more experienced people give me advice.It's 1am in the morning
    here and Andando is giving me another sleepless night worrying about things
    that ultimately are not my problem.. I have acted in good faith from the
    beginning and everything I have said has been backed up by qualified people.
    As you are no doubt aware I cut my price to the bone to do this delivery and
    would have made very little even if it had gone smoothly. I say again shoot
    the messenger why not? While you and Rudi worry about your money I worry about
    peoples safety
    You need to make an arrangement with peake to store the boat while you decide
    what to do. I have had enough and I'm sure any experienced arbitrator in C.T.
    would back me up.

This mail sent after I returned home and Peter forwarded a mail sent to him on passage saying there were more cracks which he dismisses as cosmetic.
    Allan X-CodePage: utf-8Sent: 02 November 2011 06:24 AM
    To: 'peter windsor'

Peter I notice that there has been some more cracking on the boat and I’m continually amazed at how Maverick owners seem to think this is acceptable. I delivered the last boat out of a notorious factory (since insolvent) they built terrible boats we had bad weather apart from one small area of gel coat starring (similar to the starring on Andando’s cockpit floor) we had NO cracks.
    I’m going to stick my neck out here and I hope it’s in confidence. I must stress that this is only my opinion. The main bulkhead aft of the saloon has no structural strength because the sliding window is too close to the cabin side on the port top corner, combined with it running into the sliding door it has no rigidity. The starboard side has more strength because of the helm structure and the 3 cabin lay out.
    Also because, unlike most cats your cabin runs forward of the mast, the main cross beam under the mast compression has had to be kept very shallow in order to access this area. Normally this beam would be supported by a waste high bulkhead. At the port end of this beam where it joins the hull 3 fairly large holes 2 of them over lapping have been drilled in order to run some plumbing. Look under the locker on the port side for the washing machine. I believe this has slightly compromised the strength at a critical point.
    Leaving a bigger radius at the port top corner of the sliding window( to leave some “meat”) and doing away with these holes would eliminate most of the flexing. I say most because despite the starboard side being inherently stronger some cracks developed there. As I mentioned before the irony is the boat is quite well built and it’s a design problem I cannot believe that in view of Catlyn Hull no. 1 has cracks that this has not been addressed.
    Allan

Quote Originally Posted by LouisAndNatasha View Post
    G'day Mate
    Sorry you had such a bad run, you may be able to get your boat in survey in Fiji or somewhere in the Pacific? I realise just how hard it is to put a boat from overseas in survey in Australia and New Zealand we seem to have the most incredible survey regulations in the world, right over the top . Our Cat was in survey in the US, and I was told it would cost approximately 100K to comply with Australian laws to put her in survey here.

And I do agree a boatbuilder is contracted to build to a country survey he should've done that sorry to hear your headache , you could just go sailing and enjoy yourself and take a bit of pressure of the ticker, hope you find what you're looking for out there
    L&N
    Thank you for the advice . My purchase was so I could enjoy sailing and charters in NZ . I have seen the state of the boats in the islands .I was nearly on a ferry that sank in Indonesia one year !
    I am not sure NZ regulations are over the top . Clever Fox( who did the design approval) gave instructions to Maverick to strengthen the structure . Failing to comply, the vessel failed on it's maiden voyage ..........Not sure how I would feel if lives were lost by going to a country with slack regulations .I consider NZ marine regulations to be one of the best and envied by other countries .Thanks for the idea though

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast