Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Maverick 400 cracking up

'Estrella del Sur' is currently on the hard in Fort Pierce, Florida for hurricane season.

Default Re: Maverick 400 cracking up

Looking forward to it, even though from the tone of your post it sounds as if it has come to anything but a satisfactory conclusion.

The court case was between me and the repair company . You see Rudi and Robert of Tom Tom walked away from the repair as well, knowing full well that it was not completed (it still had over 100 cracks and the paint job was also substandard and still has blisters ) ! My video post repair is what they were happy with, inspite of independent reports stating otherwise ......more on this later though .

We're probably missing something obvious here, but who's "Robert of Tom Tom"?
    ...throw off the bowlines...sail away from safe harbor...catch the winds in your sails...EXPLORE...DREAM...DISCOVER
    – Mark Twain
    www.floatingimpressions.com.au

Robert is the new partner that invested in Maverick (without knowledge of the pending liability of Andando ) . Robert of Tom Tom ,Rudi and Peter Jacobs (the surveyor ) who did the initial CE for Maverick all came in August to NZ to inspect Andando . ........more on that later too !

Quote Originally Posted by andando View Post
    Robert is the new partner that invested in Maverick (without knowledge of the pending liability of Andando ) . Robert of Tom Tom ,Rudi and Peter Jacobs (the surveyor ) who did the initial CE for Maverick all came in August to NZ to inspect Andando . ........more on that later too !
    Why is it always "more on that later too"? Spit it out man or forever hold your peace. This isn't a reality tv show.

Quote Originally Posted by smj View Post
    This isn't a reality tv show.

Good to see a bit of humour -- Hopefully humour was what was intended!? -- injected into this otherwise fairly tragic tale...
    ...throw off the bowlines...sail away from safe harbor...catch the winds in your sails...EXPLORE...DREAM...DISCOVER
    – Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by D&D View Post

Good to see a bit of humour -- Hopefully humour was what was intended!? -- injected into this otherwise fairly tragic tale...
    Yes humor was intended, but seriously why can't the story just be told I feel for Andando but can see no reason for the tale to be told in pieces rather than just letting it out!

It could not be told before because
    1. I was on holiday .
    2.The last court hearing was on Oct 21st .
    For you to fully understand the extent of this it will be told in the correct order ,that way I will not have to repeat myself .
    It would be impossible to post this in one long post -sorry .

Quote Originally Posted by smj View Post
    Yes humor was intended, but seriously why can't the story just be told I feel for Andando but can see no reason for the tale to be told in pieces rather than just letting it out!
    so when's season 2 out?

The Purchase
    My ex-wife and I spent 2 years looking and photographing features of boats that we wanted. As stated, we were about to sign up for the new Lagoon until we saw Paul B’s Video of the Maverick.
    We found (like others here) it very difficult to get prices and info on the Maverick back then (Sept 2009), but eventually we got a reply from Dries Van Rooyen of The Catamaran Marquee company who explained he was Rudi’s business partner and he had worldwide distribution rights for Maverick. We flew to the Sanctuary cove Boat Show and then onto S.A. so all would be fresh in our minds and easy to compare.
    We met Dries and he took us all over looking at catamarans (including the new Dean -500 which was under construction) .We liked Dries and he took us out for a great dinner.
    The next day we met Rudi and visited the factory. After a look around, he stated he had no future orders. My business head said that there was an opportunity to get a great deal – but I actually felt sorry for him, so I agreed to pay full price for Andando on the understanding that all costs relating to Andano being built to NZ survey were Mavericks responsibility, I explained fully that it HAD to be used for charter. We also viewed all our photos on our USB stick and talked in detail about our needs.
    Rudi agreed to everything we asked for and understood our need for our build to be survey compliant for NZ.
    Before we left S.A. we went again to the factory as we were prepared to sign the contract before we left. But we were told we could not sign because he wanted to get out of the agreement with Dries (his partner ) first, he said he would let us know when he had got out of the agreement with Dries and he would get the contract to us later.
    He eventually disposed of Dries and we got the contract much later, but there was no mention of the “Build to NZ certification” request that we agreed on. When I pointed this out the second contract had this included and the contract got signed much later.
    I put Rudi in touch with Ruth of the Safety Ship Management Co and gave him the details of Maritime NZ so that he could build to NZ standards for charter.
    I also put him in touch with a surveyor here that kept my mono hull in Survey.
    Rudi contacted me later to say “it seemed that he would have fly out a surveyor from NZ and although this was not in the budget he would honour the agreement and pay for it out of his children’s education budget “
    Ruth at S.S.M. said Rudi was flying Robin Williams (surveyor) out to S.A.
    It all sounded like it was going according to plan. He had everything needed to build to NZ Certification.
    I also found out this year that Rudi infact phoned Robin Williams (surveyor) and asked him for a price to survey Andando in S.A . I understand he quoted Maverick $24K to fly out and train a S.A surveyor
    This was part of the conversation before the build .

To: Rudi Pretorius , 'Peter Jacops'
    Cc:, Arthur Jobard -Maritime NZ
    Subject: Re: Maverick 400 build to New Zealand
    specifications
    Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 16:55:09 +1200
    Gentleman

I discussed this project with Steve Mabbett and the following is the situation as far as Maritime New Zealand is concerned regarding commercial vessels built offshore.

Maritime New Zealand requires that any vessel is plan approved by a Maritime New Zealand recognized surveyor for plan approval or the drawings have been approved by a classification society for the area of operation as required and any vessel is inspected during the build process by a Maritime New Zealand recognized surveyor, which if applicable, could be a class surveyor.

The plan approval process should be completed prior to any construction beginning and I can provide contact details for a suitable person to complete this part of the process

In the past I have inspected vessels being constructed offshore at the start of construction which with with a FRP vessel would be when the hull and decks were in the initial stages of moulding and at that time the plan approval documents and applicable rule requirements such as bilge pumping, fire fighting etc can be discussed with the builder.

During this initial inspection a suitable surveyor can be sourced and application made to Maritime New Zealand for recognition to continue with the construction

The following information is required for the plan approval process. I trust the above information is of assistance to you and look forward to assisting you with this project.

Kind regards
    Robin Williams

----- Original Message -----
    To: Robin Williams ; 'Peter Jacops'
    Cc: Peter Windsor
    Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 1:16 AM
    Subject: Maverick 400 build to New Zealand specifications

Hello Gentlemen

I have to build a Maverick 400 sailing catamaran to New Zealand specifications. Currently we have Category A CE certification. Peter Jacops here in South Africa is the IMCI inspector, he knows our boat and is able to assist and guide me on any specifics.

From what I understand is that Robin Williams is Peter Jacops' colleague and he in turn works with Steve Mabbett and can handle the process from New Zealand.

The build starts mid July 2010 and the planned completion date is mid Feb 2011. Could I ask that we get the process rolling.

Thank you

Kind Regards

Rudi Pretorius

So we had the SSM company in contract with Maverick
    A NZ approved surveyor flying out to S. A to oversee the build to NZ certification
    NZ maritime Rules for the commercial build in Rudi’s possession .
    He had the USB stick with our requirements .
    I thought all was covered .
    There was a problem I was not aware of ……….Maverick did not have the funds to build my boat according to our agreement !

Somehow I feel that this as good a place as any to advise anyone with an interest in boats to read " A Mile Down" by David Vann. I've read one or two sailing related books but this little bugger I could NOT put down till it was finished. I borrowed it as a library ebook so some of you may find it there. I think once an author, allows his work to be used as a library ebook it probably should be available most places. If not it's still the most compulsive book about boat building, and the consequences of non involvement in the building process. Andando you are not alone! In fact you didn't do that badly at all.
    Cheers John.

Quote Originally Posted by tater View Post
    Andando you are not alone!
    Certainly true

Quote Originally Posted by tater View Post
    In fact you didn't do that badly at all.
    That seems to be a VERY big call...and perhaps stretches the comparison a few (quite a few?) steps too far?!?

Peter, we look forward to the next chapter(s) of your developing 'book'...and wish you and yours good health for the holiday season.
    – Mark Twain

That seems to be a VERY big call...and perhaps stretches the comparison a few (quite a few?) steps too far?!?
    Read the book, then comment

So is there a place to get the rest of the story? Or has it not been posted yet?

Quote Originally Posted by oilydog View Post
    So is there a place to get the rest of the story? Or has it not been posted yet?
    Hi, I am Johan. Previous owner of Yacht Catlyn, Maverick Hull #2 and the Skipper that delivered Andando from Trinidad to New Zealand. The rest of the story?? I admit that I was very naive in agreeing to sail Andando to New Zealand. I mainly based my accepting of the delivery, on reports from Maverick that the loose rigging were to blame. It was an amazing experience for me and my family but defnitely worrying and stressful at times and after reading the NZ reports from Surveyors and Inspectors as well as Allan's posts..a feeling of thankfulness that we landed safe in New Zealand. About the cracking, flexibility, strength....I do have alot of evidence that can be shared like: photos and snaglist of Andando in Trinidad as well as my experience and opinion under heavy sail. Dates of snaglist photos taken, coming 24th September, 7 years ago. Amazing, feels like yesterday. After all these years, I just have the following questions: Did Maverick (Rudi) honoured his building contract with Peter regarding the NZ regulations? If not, how did he rectify his non performance? Did Maverick (Rudi) offered Peter a new replacement Catamaran which did not materialised? Rudi mentioned to me at some stage that Peter neglected Andando after our delivery until the stage of fixing Andando, any evidence availible on this? How are the today photos of the repaired cracks and warranty claim items on Andando compare to my photos 7 years ago? Why do I ask these questions? I had a nightmare!! and I dont see any post from Maverick to end this story. Rudi, we need to have Maverick's statement?? You own the Maverick family your honesty regarding Andando and your statement or story in the public domain.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678