Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PRIVILEGE 39 QUESTIONS

Default PRIVILEGE 39 QUESTIONS

I am happy to answer questions that anyone has about Privilege 39 catamarans. We spent eleven years sailing around the world on Exit Only, and I can probably answer many of the questions that sailors might have about this particular design.

Default Re: PRIVILEGE 39 QUESTIONS

For the experts of the forum.

I have a question about a model. The wife and I are thinking about a live aboard and have decided on a catamaran instead of a mono. I have looked and read a lot about many models and thought a Lagoon 38-44 foot would be nice. I have found a 39' Privilege for a decent price and I am seeking out the expertise of this forum. What do you think about this boat? Cape Yacht Brokerage (Port Canaveral, FL)&

Looks like a decent price for the quality? I believe Privilege is a decent manufacturer or am I wrong?

Thanks to all who can help.

What should I look for in this model? The broker said to call him and he can show it to me wen I get there.

In a Privilege of this vintage, you should check the condition of the headliner. The headliner foam backing starts to fail after it's ten years old. Chances are there will be some headliner problems.

Check for leaking around the large windows as the caulking may fail and require renewal in older Privileges.

The rigging wire should be checked for broken strands where the wire exits from the swages.

Pop your head into the chainlocker and check on the condition of the windlass motor. Also put your foot in the chainlocker to see if there is any sponginess to the floor of the chain locker.

Check out the wiring in the electrical panel in the starboard hull to make sure the wiring is in good condition - no corrosion. Our looks fine after 15 years.

Our Privilege did not have any significant structural, electrical, or engine problems during our circumnavigation. The boat is put together well with an excellent finish.

Overall, I would check the same things that I would examine carefully on a monohull yacht.

We recently sold our Leopard 38 and are shopping for the next boat. While we are thinking in terms of a larger boat our issues relate more to comfort than size as we will most often only be just two on board. In browsing the Yachtworld ads I noted some Privilege 39's of recent vintage that do not have the exposed helm ( I can't tolerate spending my days in the sun so I want a boat with the helm under the bimini ). While only a foot longer than our old boat the Privilege seems to offer a lot more living space.

I am concerned however about the access to the main berth. It looks roomy in the layouts with the berth on center but I wonder how convenient the access is. In particular I am concerned about having to crawl over the sleeping spouse for night time trips to the head. Any comments from experienced owners??

The model you are discussing is the 395. This is significantly different to the 39, and is even by a different designer. The galley is up on this one.

Cant talk about actual experience on this boat, but photos show a lot of height above the bunk, so it should be relatively easy to do the crawling over bit!
    Insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results

Quote Originally Posted by henryv View Post
    We recently sold our Leopard 38 and are shopping for the next boat. While we are thinking in terms of a larger boat our issues relate more to comfort than size as we will most often only be just two on board. In browsing the Yachtworld ads I noted some Privilege 39's of recent vintage that do not have the exposed helm ( I can't tolerate spending my days in the sun so I want a boat with the helm under the bimini ). While only a foot longer than our old boat the Privilege seems to offer a lot more living space.

I am concerned however about the access to the main berth. It looks roomy in the layouts with the berth on center but I wonder how convenient the access is. In particular I am concerned about having to crawl over the sleeping spouse for night time trips to the head. Any comments from experienced owners??
    this boat is the same as mine with extended transoms so the inside is the same
    we looked at this model and did not like the galley up as its a poor use of the space.
    (if you look at my thread on boat mods some pics there and in my photos)
    as to your question re the forward cabin the cabin hight is enough to sit up in bed and be on your knees (not hand and knees) to exit.
    it sounds ungainly writing it down but we have lived with it for 4 years with no problem.
    when other liveabords have a nose round our boat they cant believe how big the cabin is
    so my advice would be go for the 37 owners version and save money on mooring and purchase as its a slightly older boat.
    10year hull warrantee.
    fantastic build quality and load carry.
    but i would say that.
    hope it helps.
    majika

Is there a small cabin in the central nacelle, and what do you use it for!
    Storage or kid's room?

Quote Originally Posted by davidbains View Post
    It's actually big enough for an adult - and I've been told in some crewed charter boats it's where the crew sleeps. It's not a place for claustrophobes.

We use ours for storage...

The large locker in the center nacelle in front of the mast is my best storage area. I don't like putting weight into the bows, so I put my heavy stuff in there. Back up anchors, scuba tanks, parachutes sea anchor with associated gear, series drogue, and many other things. I like that locker because it's safe to get stuff out of at sea without any risk of falling overboard. I must admit I have thought about sleeping in there. It would work for that as long as it didn't rain and I had to shut the hatch. I would need a rain cover so that the hatch could be left open while at anchor. It wouldn't be any good for sleeping at sea.

Quote Originally Posted by davidbains View Post
    Storage or kid's room?
    as you are in brighton come and have a look we are on pontoon 25
    majika

Hi Dave,
    thanks for all your input. We are looking for an affordable 39' Privilege since a while and are again stumbling into the question of the exposed Helm. Means that if you are running into bad weather you need to steer by hand, doing so your are staying totally wet and in danger to be washed over board. Is that a likely scenario or did I get it wrong and the protection of the Saloon reaches back far enough?
    Cheers Atmo

Is there a Privilege with a down galley and a helm under the bimini?

Maje

Quote Originally Posted by Tom and Maje View Post
    Is there a Privilege with a down galley and a helm under the bimini?

Maje
    Maje The Privilege 37 has both! It also has a bit better headroom in the saloon.
    (and I am in the middle of buying one!)

Thank you. I'll take a look at it. What is the price point?

Maje

WHAT

Mark

You sly old toad , you kept this quiet, well impressed, good luck, I hope all goes well, looking forward to the good news

Quote Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
    Maje The Privilege 37 has both! It also has a bit better headroom in the saloon.
    (and I am in the middle of buying one!)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom and Maje View Post
    Thank you. I'll take a look at it. What is the price point?

Maje
    Cheapest 90k in Emsworth UL (Multihull world - Its condition is poor.
    high price 150k in Italy - nice boat but still needs some work.

Hello together,
    there we are, going on the hard after sailing our baby since April25 around Spain and the Baleares. Still a long way home to Ozz.
    We are very happy with our overrigged extended 39.
    What we could not get is a load diagram for her.
    Does anybody have one?
    The old owners were like: 1 reef at 20, 2nd at 25, third at 30 to 35, no sails at 40....
    That is not enough information I feel after 5 month of sailing.
    Especially since the only boat I had before was an old Hobie 16 with a Skiff sail.
    Privilege is pretty hopeless, I am trying to get a builders certificat since March, they are very friendly put never send that promised E-mail

Quote Originally Posted by Atmo View Post
    Hello together,
    there we are, going on the hard after sailing our baby since April25 around Spain and the Baleares. Still a long way home to Ozz.
    We are very happy with our overrigged extended 39.
    What we could not get is a load diagram for her.
    Does anybody have one?
    The old owners were like: 1 reef at 20, 2nd at 25, third at 30 to 35, no sails at 40....
    That is not enough information I feel after 5 month of sailing.
    Especially since the only boat I had before was an old Hobie 16 with a Skiff sail.
    Privilege is pretty hopeless, I am trying to get a builders certificat since March, they are very friendly put never send that promised E-mail

With respect, the old owners comments are as good as you will get. You have been sailing her for 5 months YOU should know what the requirements are by now.

And anyway, it depends on your own style of sailing and on the boat. You say she is over-rigged which sounds dangerous, so you would have to reef early anyway. It will depend on the rig, the sails, the state of the sails, and the rigging.

It will depend on the direction of the wind, and the tide, and the depth, and therefore the wave size and form.

Etc

There can't be any hard and fast rules about it and certainly not from the boatyard.

If you say they have not given you a certificate, do they know what you are asking for? Have they ever done one before? Have you discussed it with them?

Meanwhile, enjoy the sailing!

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

thanks for the quick answer Mike,

we haven't broken anything yet, so we can't be to bad.
    With overrigged I mean that we got two sets of shrouds instead of the original one plus a babystay for a fractional jib or staysail which is on hooks not on a furler.
    Everything else is standard and the Privilege, especially the older Jeantodt ones
    like ours are known to be sturdy and not to be overigged in terms of the sailplan.
    That is one of the main reasons we choose that bot with our level of experience.
    But still, on a night sail, not having a reef in on a beam reach, the wind peaked 18 in gusts, I did let the main sheet out and the traveler all the way leewards, kept it soft, also the Genoa and furled her in a bit.
    Speed we were doing was averaging 7 to 8 peaking 9.
    Felt all good though but I had to realise that I was judging by intuition and not by knowlege. Therefor my longing for advice.
    Alliura marine knows exactly what I am asking for to get the boat registered in Ozz, they just have kind of a funny way to treat ther customers once they paied for their boat. Especially if that is 20 years ago.

Cheers
    and I hope I get some more feedback,

we love our boat and get a lot of words about her

Atmo:

Atmo, sorry, it appears I misjudged what you meant. Evidently you are well aware of the things I was thinking about.

Cheers,

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast