Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PRIVILEGE 39 QUESTIONS

Default Re: PRIVILEGE 39 QUESTIONS

Atmo, those reefing numbers seem intuitevly to be a very safe. I would be asking Dave of Exit Only, what his reefing strategy is - as he also has a very safe outlook.
    Insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results

Just checked my Max Props being on the hard. They are a bit loose :confusedall about, Has anybody ever got them machined?
    The price Maxprop is asking is close to new ones.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Atmo View Post
    Just checked my Max Props being on the hard. They are a bit loose :confusedall about, Has anybody ever got them machined?
    The price Maxprop is asking is close to new ones.
    Cheers
    Not sure I understand what part is loose, and what you are suggesting to have machined. pictures with arrows?

Well, the hub itself has about half a mm play on the shaft and the Prop blades, we are talking a 3 blade prop here, have about a good mm play.
    I think they need to be bushed in neatly, the drawings I got do not look like they have bushes though. Does this help?

Well, the hub itself has about half a mm play on the shaft and the Prop blades, we are talking a 3 blade prop here, have about a good mm play.
    I think they need to be bushed in neatly, the drawings I got do not look like they have bushes though. Does this help?
    I am still having some problems visualising the exact nature of the problem, but my initial reaction would be to find a good metal fabrication shop in your area, and take the prop to them and ask for their advice.

Have you gone to the Max-Prop website? Sounds like you may have something installed incorrectly and/or the wrong size shaft among other things.

Fair Winds,
    Mike

I am thinking about getting an older privilege 39. I noticed that at least one 39, "Exit Only" has a dual helm. Are there others?

Also, can anybody tell me what the bridgedeck clearance is? Do they slap much?

Also, were the original engines on early models diesels?

We have dual helms on Exit Only. Most of the time we used the port side helm because that is where the engine controls are located, but Exit Only can be steered fine from either helm.

I chose two helms because I knew that I was going to do a circumnavigation, and I wanted the redundancy of two helms connected to two separate quadrants. That way if I lost steering on one helm offshore, going through passes in atolls, or in other tricky situations, I would simply step over to the other helm.

Offshore, if you lose a steering cable or break a steering chain, it's not a worry if you have a second helm. We had four ways to steer Exit Only - Port helm, starboard helm, emergency tiller, and autopilot.

In eleven years of sailing around the world, I doubt that I hand steered Exit Only more than 100 hours total. The autohelm 7000 did all the steering unless we were entering an atoll or going up a river or navigating among coral heads. About the only time I hand steered was when I did it for fun.

I don't know the bridgedeck clearance at the lowest point. I never measured it. The clearance varies greatly from location to location on the underside of the bridgedeck. The bridgedeck slams when sailing in rough seas going to windward. It does fine offwind and on a beam reach. I spent most of my time offshore sailing downwind in the tradewinds,and so slamming was not so much of a problem.

Bridgedeck clearance is only one consideration when thinking about bridgedeck slamming. A very wide hull with a large distance between the hulls may cause the boat to straddle waves and cause slamming as well.

Every catamaran behaves differently with respect to slamming. How the boat is loaded or overloaded is important. Whether the boat is sailing fast over the waves or wallowing can make a big difference. Sometimes you will slam at one speed, but if you sail faster over the waves the slamming may decrease significantly. Sometimes I would run one engine to punch through seas to windward and that helped minimize slamming.

All of the engines are diesel that I have ever seen. Most of the Privilege 39s have shafts rather than saildrives.

The Privilege 39 is very robust and can take a beating and still survive. It's a very safe boat, and I would bet my life on it. In fact, that's exactly what I did when I sailed Exit Only around the world.

thanx so much for responding and the info.

A dual helm 39 is being tough to find. Not too many of them equiped like that.

Marketing types like to quote the bridgedeck clearance at the fore crossmember. Real "effects" take place at the "most substantial" area closest to the water. From what I've gleened from others and now you is that the effect on a P 39 is "reasonable" (e.g. not disturbing to the point of concern for structure or driving you crazy with auditory output).

Of all the production cats I have researched over the past 10 years, the hull of the Privilege seems to be the most robust (although I suppose titanium would be a tad better than fiberglass). :-)

I will continue my search for that "ideal" Privilege 39.

Thanx again and a sparkling rainbow "Exit Only" year to you.

John

A low bridgedeck clearance is the best argument I know for a down wind sailing voyage around the world. You will do much less slamming sailing down wind.

If you want to do high latititude sailing in a catamaran, you need a really high bridgedeck to avoid slamming.

yep... as one of my ol'e engineering professors used to say "one man's catamaran is other man's devil woman - it's all a tradoff" or something to that effect.

While I certainly would do a few things differently if I had the money in the design and building of a cat (such as titanium hull and carbon nanotube mast with dynamic "lifting" boards), the P-39 seems to me to have the potential to do what I'm looking for in the conditions I envision.

In your experiance, with engine assist, what's your most comfortable angle to weather in a blow? Have you ever had the props cavitate?

I am not aware that we ever had a cavitation problem with the large 3 blade props on Exit Only.

When I am in bad weather going to windward, I see how the yacht performs in terms of bridgedeck pounding and how well the bows are punching through the oncoming seas. Sea state is all important - more important in my experience than wind direction. The sea state determines how much the bridgedeck will interact with the waves.

In bad weather going to windward, I look at how the yacht is performing overall and how much of a beating we are taking. Sometimes I will sail to windward using only my sails. Sometimes I will motorsail with only one engine, and sometimes I will use both engines when motorsailing to windward.

For every sea state there is an optimum speed that works best. I will achieve that speed with sails, sails and one engine, or sails and two engines.

Sea state is much more important to me than the precise angle to the wind. I will sail at an angle to the wind that treats my catamaran with respect, and I will add engine propulsion if it makes things better for the yacht and crew.

Hello Dave,

yes we did it, after 28 days and 9 hours we arrived in Tobago coming from Gran Canaria.
    It was our first long crossing alone. My wife Petra and me that is.
    I can confirm everything you are saying about the boat.
    We have an Autohelm 7000 with a Raytheon 300 course Computer connected to a No. 2 12V drive. It handels even strong downwind sailing well.
    As a backup we have a NKE system on a second NO2 drive at port.
    But that one takes a lot of power and is ridiculously complicated to work.
    Due to the French and Spanish manuals we got we can use just about .0001%
    of its capabilities. Like with most French technology older then 2 years it is not possible to get any information about it.
    Well, again, we can, again, only confirm what Dave says. We, as fairly fresh and inexperienced cruisers did a good choice with the 39.
    Now we have to change the port rudder bearing.(about 5mm play at the quadrant, I think this is to much for a pacific crossing....) There were supposed to be some pictures at this website about how to do this in the water, but I couldn't find any article or Pics.
    Following your publications I learned that you did the job once yourself.
    Plan is to get the old ones out and have them made in Trinidad.
    After there were good for one circumnavigation I think it does not make sense to make then of Bronze but stick to the kind of Nylon they are supposed to be made of.
    Can you help us out with that please?

Regards,

Atmo&Petra
    SV Elfrun

....We have to change the port rudder bearing.(about 5mm play at the quadrant, I think this is to much for a pacific crossing....) There were supposed to be some pictures at this website about how to do this in the water, but I couldn't find any article or Pics.
    There is lots of info on CF about this including video and parts descriptions etc. Just search for Privilege rudder bearings. The thread was started by Philip Van Praag, and you need the last page.

Hello Dave,

yes we did it, after 28 days and 9 hours we arrived in Tobago coming from Gran Canaria.
    It was our first long crossing alone. My wife Petra and me that is.
    I can confirm everything you are saying about the boat.
    We have an Autohelm 7000 with a Raytheon 300 course Computer connected to a No. 2 12V drive. It handels even strong downwind sailing well.
    As a backup we have a NKE system on a second NO2 drive at port.
    But that one takes a lot of power and is ridiculously complicated to work.
    Due to the French and Spanish manuals we got we can use just about .0001%
    of its capabilities. Like with most French technology older then 2 years it is not possible to get any information about it.
    Well, again, we can, again, only confirm what Dave says. We, as fairly fresh and inexperienced cruisers did a good choice with the 39.
    Now we have to change the port rudder bearing.(about 5mm play at the quadrant, I think this is to much for a pacific crossing....) There were supposed to be some pictures at this website about how to do this in the water, but I couldn't find any article or Pics.
    Following your publications I learned that you did the job once yourself.
    Plan is to get the old ones out and have them made in Trinidad.
    After there were good for one circumnavigation I think it does not make sense to make then of Bronze but stick to the kind of Nylon they are supposed to be made of.
    Can you help us out with that please?

Regards,

Atmo&Petra
    SV Elfrun
    We still have our original rudder bearings, and they have very little play in them.

Some people had very tight rudder bearings, and some were loose. Ours were just right. I guess we were lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
    There is lots of info on CF about this including video and parts descriptions etc. Just search for Privilege rudder bearings. The thread was started by Philip Van Praag, and you need the last page.
    Thank's a lot,

but I could not find anything on the forum here.
    Is it on a different forum?
    I only found the one with drilling holes and pouring chemicals in it.

It is also impossible to get any information of Alliura.

So, I would highly appreciate it if you could send me a link or something about the part description and the video.
    Or under whatever this is hidden around here.

Cheers,

Atm
    SV Elfrun

Alliaura are out of business at the moment. They probably won't come back but the Privilege brand has been bought and should be back in production at the original Sables d'Olonne factory. The new factory - and probable cause of the collapse of Alliaura - will not be utilised.
    Last edited by Jeannius; 24th June 2012 at 03:25 PM.

I have a 1992 Privilege 39 with Volvo Penta 27 hp engines with saildrives. I want to switch to shafts instead. Does anyone have photos of the engine compartment showing how they are laid out? I would also like to know the gear ratios of the transmission plus if they are straight shaft or angled & what degree they are. I have a pair of '05 Volvo Penta MD2030 engines & need to know which MS10A transmissions to purchase. Are yours opposite rotation or both standard? After installation I'll be selling the saildrives.
    Thanks, Huey2

I'm curious about why you want to swap saildrives for shafts?

When I first bought my P37 I thought about doing the same thing because of all the horror stories I heard about saildrives, but after 7 years of experience with saildrives I kinda like them.

Saildrive pros: no stuffing box, dry bilge, no shaft/engine alignment issues, props don't lose thrust due to downward angle.

Saildrive Cons: must change prop shaft lip seals periodically, need to replace the rubber boot that seals out the ocean every 7 years (you can actually go longer. Mine were 14 years old when I changed them) You can only do partial oil changes in the water. Cooling water inlets in saildrive can be clogged with marine growth (I put new sea cocks in the hulls and don't use the saildrive inlets. No problems after 4 years.)

You are about to tackle a major project with lots of opportunites for problems. I would consider this decision carefully before embarking on this path. I have a friend with a 37' cat with standard shafts. He has had lots of alignment problems which led to replacing a transmission and motor mounts. Is the grass really greener on the other side?

Greg

Hi Greg, I've been in the marina business for 38 years and had all power boats. They have all had shaft drives so I feel comfortable with them. My son owns his own marina plus a fiberglass business & states it would be easy for him to make the switch by fiberglassing up the saildrive hole, installing a fiberglass tube, and strut mounts. Because of safety and only material costs I would like to make the change. I need to know if the transmissions are angled or straight however. I'm looking for a couple of used transmissions to fit the 2005 model MD2030 engines I have. I will have a pair of 1992 & a pair of 2005 saildrives for sale at that point. The engines were reversed for the saildrives on the 2005 model. If someone has Yanmars it would be helpful to know if their transmissions are straight or what degree angle they have. Thanks, Huey2

P.S. We will be at Calusa Island Marina this winter if their are any Privileges in our area.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast