Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PRIVILEGE 39 QUESTIONS

Default Re: PRIVILEGE 39 QUESTIONS

Hi,

Can anybody tell me of any problems with the P39 nacelle and how they were fixed?

Cheers!

Holg

Quote Originally Posted by KrautHolg View Post
    Hi,

Can anybody tell me of any problems with the P39 nacelle and how they were fixed?

Cheers!

Holg
    Hello and welcome, do you have some particular problem in mind that is causing your question?

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

I have owned a P39 since 2005 and sailed her around the world. I have several friends with Privileges but none of them have the problem mine has which is cracks in the bottom of the nacelle. I wonder why they happened (too much weight up there, too heavy-duty upwind sailing or what) as well as how I should go about fixing them for good. Cheers! Holg

Havent heard about any P39 problems. I like the added strength of the nacelle.
    I seem to recall TCM in his P49 reckoned that the nacelle was probably the reason that his spinaker did ot rip the bow fittig out the first time he ran over it.

Mind you TCM seems to have a lot of trouble keeping his spinaker attached to his mast.
    Insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results

Aloha all

Big thanks to the Privilege owners for posting all the great information.
    We are in the market for a 39 privilege. I have been gathering as much
    information as possible on line. I have read some conflicting information on construction. I am pretty sure the hulls are solid GRP bellow the water line then closed cell foam cored above the water line. but are the decks foam core or balsa core?

Thanks for any information

Ps1: we are offering a $500. reward for information on a cat under $120K

Ps2: I have started talks with the broker of the 1991 39 Privilege in St Martin does anyone have any information on it?

Quote Originally Posted by amphibious1 View Post
    I am pretty sure the hulls are solid GRP bellow the water line then closed cell foam cored above the water line. but are the decks foam core or balsa core?
    I can't say if other Privileges 39s are different, but ours (hull #28, circa late 1990) is only solid GRP for a strip that's a few feet wide along the centerline. There is definitely foam below the waterline. There is no balsa core on this boat - it's all either solid or foam core. These boats were built pretty beefy.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions that you have...

Quote Originally Posted by scotte View Post
    I can't say if other Privileges 39s are different, but ours (hull #28, circa late 1990) is only solid GRP for a strip that's a few feet wide along the centerline. There is definitely foam below the waterline. There is no balsa core on this boat - it's all either solid or foam core. These boats were built pretty beefy.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions that you have...
    Aloha Scotte

Thank you very much for your information..
    That is great to hear no Balsa core..

We are looking for a P 39 to do a 5 year circumnavigation on. We are going to look at the two on yacht world soon. Their is a 1988 in NC and a 1991 in St Martin. If you know of any others please let us know. $500.reward for the boat we buy..

Thanks again any pointers are greatly appreciated

Hello Everyone!
    We have just purchased a 2002 P435. In the survey it was discovered that there was separation of the forward bulkhead from the inboard sides of both hulls and extending across the forward berths and into the forward chain locker. The FRP itself was not broken anywhere, just the bonding between the hull and bulkhead had failed. The "fiberglass guy" and the surveyor did not think this would structurally be significant once the bonding was re established. It was surmised that the cracking could be the result of a much larger than usual, and therefore much heavier than usual, anchor chain rode.

Has anyone else seen this problem on a Privilege?

Thanks for any guidance.
    And thanks MaxingOut for a very informative and entertaining website!
    Pat

Welcome, what chain and how much anchor chain have you got?

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Quote Originally Posted by 12BCruzn View Post
    Hello Everyone!
    We have just purchased a 2002 P435. In the survey it was discovered that there was separation of the forward bulkhead from the inboard sides of both hulls and extending across the forward berths and into the forward chain locker. The FRP itself was not broken anywhere, just the bonding between the hull and bulkhead had failed. The "fiberglass guy" and the surveyor did not think this would structurally be significant once the bonding was re established. It was surmised that the cracking could be the result of a much larger than usual, and therefore much heavier than usual, anchor chain rode.

Has anyone else seen this problem on a Privilege?
    Not a problem I've heard of - which hull number by the way, and where are you based? Actually - may be best if you start a new thread, rather than this one...

Cheers,
    Rick

Hull #23 ( I think. . am not on vessel atm). Anchor is 44 lb. Delta Fastset with 13mm chain--over 200 ft according to seller (and a 22 lb. Danforth style with 13mm chain and 5/8" three-strand nylon line.).
    The boat is in St Augustine, FL atm.

Quote Originally Posted by 12BCruzn View Post
    .............13mm chain--over 200 ft ...................
    I have 210ft of chain on my 37 - but it is 10mm, and I have just upgraded to a 60 lb Manson Supreme. The 45lb is fine for coastal cruising, but I wanted a serious system for blue water cruising.

Dave,
    Have you had problems with your counter top? Mine had 3 rather obvious cracks in it when I bought it. The surface seems to be a resin overlaying a lightweight honey comb material. Around the margins of the stovetop and counter edges there is 3/4 " Plywood under the resin. Mike said this was a problem with 435s made around the same time and that it was later changed. I was just wondering if you had the same material on your countertop and if you had replaced it.

I started this thread after repairing mine: http://www.multihulls4us.com/forums/...6965#post66965

By the way, the cracks were just in the resin layer, not the support material.

Hello Dave, heard a lot about you over the years and hope you might be able to help a 39 owner in UK?
    We have sail drives and I want to fit shaft this winter. ( Engines are currently 2030 volvo's with 120 saildrives. Done well but on there way out)
    Before they fail i want to change them, but would prefer shaft drive.

I can see a flat GRP plinth aft of the sail drive seal which i think is fitted to all 39's for shafts? You wouldn't have a picture of your shaft, seal, coupling etc so i can see where it is.
    Hers hoping. Jim

looks like this thread has been quiet for a year.
    I have recently purchased a fine P39 in the Med and i am spending the next two years fitting it out for our cruising.
    Dave and some other owners have been great help so here goes another question.
    before buying useless sails i would like to ask what sails work and advice on what sails don't. and if any one has a polar diagram for the boat. if not no problem i am working on one.

sails i am thinking of getting.

New Full batten main with 3 reefs.
    165% Genoa
    100% Blade
    storm tri
    Asym kite 3/4 oz
    Code Zero or screecher

any other suggestions are welcome as well.
    we have updated most electronics and will be doing more on that in the new year. the current progect is to replace all standing and running rigging and paint the mast.

the boat is very solid and just needs minor cosmetic and some new gear and she is ready for another lap of the planet.

we currently keep the boat in Tunisia and will be moving to Greece next summer.

Quote Originally Posted by ICE BEAR View Post
    sails i am thinking of getting.
    New Full batten main with 3 reefs.
    165% Genoa
    100% Blade
    storm tri
    Asym kite 3/4 oz
    Code Zero or screecher
    I have a P37 so comments on sail choice should be recognised as not necessarily correct for a slightly different boat.
    165% genoa and 100% blade infers that you are looking to be able to change foresails. Not something that is easy in bad conditionsa and short handed.
    I am setting up my inner babystay as a staysail and stormsail to cope with those difficult conditions.

Like Dave, I have set up for a second genoa to be able to sail downwind using just the two genoas (plus two poles!)

I have a spinnaker, but have yet to fly it on my own.

I have a Asym kite with a top furler for light wind conditions. I did not like a sudden gust last summer of over 20 kts and ripped!

Notwithstanding the above, I would suggest that as well as sail choice, you need to decide on cut (Bi-radial or tri-radial) and on material. For long term cruising, there is really only one sensible choice, and that is http://www.dimension-polyant.com/de/Hydranet_2_2.php
    It is a bit more expensive in the short term than normal Dacron, but will hold its shape much longer and last longer as well.

On our P435 (445), we have found the staysail to be very useful. We have a storm jib and wouldn't mind having a storm tri with, of course, the fervent hope neither is ever used. Same for the Sea Anchor.

Thank you Talbot. I probably should have added that my wife and I are slowing down but have raced many boats for the past 25 years and a lot of ocean work as well as many single and double handed events of multiple days.

We found this last summer that changing head sails on the twin track furler to be a breeze compared to a monohull. It was luxurious how much room there was on the P39

But yes you make some good points.

Now I should say that even though some may call me a speed ofile "I love that term Dave".
    I would be far from reckless. There is a big difrence between some one who wants to do wind speed at 8kn and some one who loves to fly kites in 45kn. Fortunate for me I got the piss and vinager kicked out of me on a sport boat and no one was injured.

Ok ok back to sails.
    My boat does not have the baby stay rigged? Any one with pics of the set up would be appreciated. And that should bring the center of effort in for better control. What size is that and what do the lead angles looke like? Will I need to install new jib tracks on the cabin top?

now the kite. I'm sticking to good old rip stop.
    I get my kites out of NZ. They make good kites for a great price. Evolution has don me well. And tell me I will get a good price for the P39.

My question is what number do I go to?
    A2,A3,A5?

how much time do you spend reaching or running?

now this can be very subjective to our route.
    We are not reinventing the wheel. It's standard med,then some Northern Europe so some upwind. Then a couple of years in the Caribbean a then the tried and true route across the pacific.
    Nothing crazy. Sticking to tried and true rutes and times.

Hope this clarifys.

Oh and Talbot. I do have to say I am enjoying this roller fueling thing. It's nice.
    And I would like to know if you think the kite furler is a must? I have only used socks and love them for taiming the wild kite.

Thanks.
    Don

please keep it coming as I am new to cats.

Hmm after thinking about it I came to another thought.

If your experience is telling me that in high winds you just roll in the Jib on a reach or run and never sail up wind in conditions that would require a blade then this sail is a waste.
    i have come to grips with the sailing angles but love the boats performance.

So if you think the blade is waste then please say so.

Thanks again.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast