Thread: Voyage 440 Boom Lift Line Replacement

Default Voyage 440 Boom Lift Line Replacement

Hi all,

I recall seeing instruction for replaceing the red line for the boom extention beam and cannot find them. Has anyone replace this line and tghe internal bungie cord?

Any tips would be great.

Thanks
    Rob
    V440 Dream Maker

Default Re: Voyage 440 Boom Lift Line Replacement

I have not replaced that red line, but I have removed the derrick for another reason, so could have.

If no one else chimes in, from my memory (dangerous!) you need to support the boom with the topping lift (or whatever you want to call it) and after removing the machine screws in each of the two bearing blocks, pull the derrick out. You may have to slide it back and forth to bang them out like a slide hammer.

You have to remove the forward block to get to the bitter end of the red line.

I'll see if I have additional info, or someone else might first.

I would say that you could improve the system when you put it back. On mine, the retraction bungee was attached to the forward end of the derrick. The bungee would work much much better if you attach it to the aft end of the derrick by passing it through the inside of the derrick to a pad eye you would mount at the aft end. The bungee would last much longer, and retract the derrick more uniformly.

You should inspect the sheave to make surest is in good shape.

Great , Thanks for the info. I will let you know how I make out.
    Cheers

Hi Guys,
    I had mine apart a long time ago and it was pretty much straight forward. I need to replace my bungee as well, so thanks Garland for the advice on the re-route. Different note - my reefing turning blocks at the end of the boom are worn, any one know of a good source for replacements?

Hi Bill,

Ronstan has a great assortment of sheaves to choose from. Check out their website. I think I ordered sheaves from Sound Boatworks, but West marine can get them as well, I think. Or maybe Mauri Pro. WM has in their catalog some sheaves, as well, Shaefer and others perhaps. Check them all out for best fit. You may need to bore out the hole.

And if no luck, try this place for custom sheaves. I have no experience with them, myself.

http://www.zephyrwerks.com/

If you go with Zephyr, let us know how that turns out.

On moving the bungee, it might be good to mount a plastic bulls eye inside the derrick on the forward end for the bungee to pass through. Or at least round any sharp edges the bungee would rub against.

Regards
    Garland

We have a 50ft Voyage with the same boom set up. I just pulled ours apart and replaced the bungy cord. It took 15 minutes to pull it apart and maybe 20 minutes to put it back together. The trick is tie a tracer to the bungy cord and the line for easy retrevial. Shouldn't take more than an hour in and out.
    L&N

Here is the link you may have seen. As others have said it's fairly straight forward once you have done it. That said, this link has photos and some tips to help. Use a messenger line for both the red line and replacing the bungie.

http://shearwater-sailing.com/Early%...ck%20photo.htm

Or just google "shearwater sailing" and go to boat systems, boom derrick.

I just did mine last week. Have fun.

Tom