Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sail fabric choice?

Default Re: Sail fabric choice?

After a reasonable tear appeared last year we replaced our main using a local/Yamba sailmaker (Scott Hinton, aka Scooter Sails) as we knew him to be very experienced and honest. We discussed a number of choices and then went with hydranet on the basis that it wouldn't cost an arm and a leg and it would last a long time. To minimize the cost, most of the cutting and sewing was done in Sri Lanka and then Scooter did the final fitting. Scooter's service through the whole process was excellent, first class...and we're now very happy with the mainsail.

We're currently thinking about replacing the furling genoa as well. It's the original, factory Incidences dacron and still serving our cruising needs, but the stitching's been repaired several times now and it's stretched around the 'window' and showing plenty of cracks. When we do replace the genoa we'll use Scooter again...and in fact we're waiting for his estimate now. The material recommended for the genoa was not hydranet, but unfortunately we can't recall what it was...argh! Scooter's currently racing overseas and we told him we were in no rush so we'll have to await his return for any further comments here.

We wouldn't hesitate to recommend Scooter (Tel 0418662889) to anyone in this region, including the OP. We don't know whether he could take on the work with everything else he's got on -- His business is well established and successful, but his true passion is blue water racing and he is called upon regularly as professional crew in races all around the world -- but he won't take the work if he can't do it...and his opinion would certainly be worth having in any event. There would be little about blue water racing that Scooter hasn't experienced or doesn't know and understand...and he's a nice guy!

It's probably stating the obvious, but to be complete we should note that our sail choices were not performance driven. Our priorities were longevity and value.
    ...throw off the bowlines...sail away from safe harbor...catch the winds in your sails...EXPLORE...DREAM...DISCOVER
    Mark Twain
    www.floatingimpressions.com.au

Home port Chesapeake Bay; Cruising full time.

Quote Originally Posted by D&D View Post
    To minimize the cost, most of the cutting and sewing was done in Sri Lanka and then Scooter did the final fitting.
    That very likely means it was done at DP's facility which does most of the hydranet fabrication no matter who the end seller is. They do good work. My hydranet genoa was fabricated in Sri lanka and all the "sailmaker" did at the end was slap his logo on it.....

2 Hulls Dave

Thanks D&D. Can you tell me what the prices were so I can compare? PM me is you want.

Oregon, USA until I retire and we sail away

Quote Originally Posted by 2hulls View Post
    I think a big culprit on even new furling gennys is the effect that the UV border has on them.
    2 Hulls Dave
    SOme sailmakers use/recommend UV Dacron instead of Sunbrella to reduce this effect.

I heard there was some sort of titanium UV fabric which is light weight and works on screechers etc.

Hi Dennis,
    Don't know of any titanium UV covers out there. We have a thin white sticky back UV strip. I first saw it in the UK about 10 years ago and I had this product on another boat for years. When Gary did our dimension polyant sails on our cat, I got him to chase up this stick on UV strip, which we have on our head sail and schreecher. What it does is give you almost identical airflow on port and starboard, almost like not having a sun cover on your sails. We fitted a 6 ton Bartel top down furler for the schreecher and MPS. Our set up works really good including the Bartel endless furler. Gary was the cheapest for performance sails, the next closest was Quantam in South Africa on quality sails for the price. Hope this helps.
    L&N

Hello everybody, I would be interested in any updates after 2 years experience since the last post.

I am close to finalising the spec for a 45' cat. Cruise laminate is the standard, however, there is an upgrade option for Hydranet, as there is a concern around lifetime and mildew on cruise laminates. Standard is also cross cut for main and genny. I wont be racing, however, enjoy sailing to reasonable performance. I am pretty sure I will upgrade to Hydranet, however not sure about radial cut for the genny,

I would welcome any feed back, thanks

Glenn

We had our sails made 7 years and 30,000 miles ago from cruise laminate. Our sistership had sails made from Hydranet about 6 months earlier.

We replaced our sails last year, due to stretch, and stitching starting to fail. They probably could have been re-stitched and lasted another year or so, but I really wanted new sails.

Our sistership's sails are now getting pretty badly stretched too. Those sails would now be about 8 years old, but have done less mileage than ours did.

He actually feels that the cruise laminate was better value. The hydranet fabric (not the sails) costs something over double the price, but hasn't lasted twice as long. He's thinking he'll replace with cruise lam.

We never had any mould or mildew, but our sails do get used frequently.

Thanks 44C for your quick response , this is most helpful and food for thought. Our initial usage is likely to be 3 months cruising, 3 months off more or less 6 months sailing per year, for the first year or two, not doing huge miles. I wonder if this would have an effect on mildew growth ?

Yeah, don't know, it might. Guess it also depends on the climate the boat will be left in.

Our sailmaker, Gary Saxby suggested a wipe with "Wet and Forget" as a mould preventer. Never tried it though.

https://wetandforget.com.au/products...nd-forget.html

thanks. in conversation with the builder have decided on decided on screecher and genny ( rather than self tacking jib), cross cut and cruise laminate for the quote. Will finalise in a couple of months in discussion with the sail maker.

Yes, the people I know who have self-tackers generally would rather have a bigger headsail most of the time. Except when short-tacking up a river, when they love their self tackers!

Even cheap sailcloth can work well:

https://www.facebook.com/greatninigocanoerace/videos/

Quote Originally Posted by LouisAndNatasha View Post
    Hi Dennis,
    Don't know of any titanium UV covers out there. We have a thin white sticky back UV strip. I first saw it in the UK about 10 years ago and I had this product on another boat for years. When Gary did our dimension polyant sails on our cat, I got him to chase up this stick on UV strip, which we have on our head sail and schreecher. What it does is give you almost identical airflow on port and starboard, almost like not having a sun cover on your sails. We fitted a 6 ton Bartel top down furler for the schreecher and MPS. Our set up works really good including the Bartel endless furler. Gary was the cheapest for performance sails, the next closest was Quantam in South Africa on quality sails for the price. Hope this helps.
    L&N
    The white stickyback is coated with titanium oxide which gives it the UV resistance. Unfortunately it doesn't last that long in a high UV location and can't be removed so the sail becomes very ugly once the replacement UV cover goes on top of the old UV cover. We have been using a fabric called Weathermax 80 and lighter version for screechers - LT in SE Asia with good success.

Quote Originally Posted by 44C View Post
    Yes, the people I know who have self-tackers generally would rather have a bigger headsail most of the time. Except when short-tacking up a river, when they love their self tackers!
    In Stockholm archapelago we love our self-tacker. ��

Well, we have decided to go with radial cut genny and square top main in Dimension Pro - Radial fabric. Middle choice between cruise lam and Hyrdanet. Will let you know how they look post launch in November. We will be the 2nd Lightwave 45 with a square top. First was Heatwave which had carbon sails made for this years' Hamilton Island race week. They did very well 3rd in their division.

I reckon you'll love the square top. Ridiculously easy to trim.

well we hope so. After chartering cats over the past few years with blown out sails, it will be nice to have something that will respond to trim

mainsail.jpg

We had our first sail last weekend. This is the main in about 18kts apparent,1st reef, easy to trim and control twist with the bridle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12