Thread: Gunboat 60 and Alpha 42 pics

Default Gunboat 60 and Alpha 42 pics

Saw the new Gunboat 60 Fault Tolerant out at Block Island last month. Looks like it had a crew out of Men's Fitness magazine, and they were just hanging out at Champlin's Marina. It looked pretty sinister ghosting out of the marina. Evidently it was at the Newport, RI boat show. Sorry I couldn't get a better picture.

Alpha 42 #2 is in the water, and they are taking out prospective customers for demo sails. They had about 6-7 Friday, and probably the same today, but the rain was so miserable I don't think they actually went out. This boat (#2) will evidently be chartered in the BVI through TMM, and according to the Alpha 42 blog it has 20 charters booked already. Hull #3 is in the barn finishing the interior and plans are to launch it in 6-8 weeks. #4-5 are in various stages of finish and supposedly hulls for #6 will be laid up within the next two weeks. Orders have been placed for 12 boats so far.

The Alpha 42 will not be in Annapolis, though Gregor Tarjan will be in attendance as a dealer for Fountaine Pajot, Outremer, and Neel. My guess is they would like prospective customers to come to the yard and see the entire production process. It is probably also a good way to sort out serious prospects from the "tire kickers" that show up at Annapolis.

I haven't had the opportunity to sail on the Alpha 42 yet, but I was impressed with the finish. My wife would especially like the size of the enclosed showers (in a separate room from the head) and the refrigerators and freezers.

Marshall
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by searenitysail; 5th October 2014 at 05:49 AM. Reason: pictures did not upload
    "People sail for fun and no one has yet convinced me that it's more fun to go slow than it is to go fast." -- Dick Newick

Default Re: Gunboat 60 and Alpha 42 pics

The boat in the picture is hull #4 there working on hull #2 in the shed and then will finish hull #3. Last time down there were putting together the hulls and bridge deck of hull #5. Last time down in early Sept. hull #3 was on the hard under a tarp.

mhd,

You are correct; they are not being launched in the order in which the hulls were laid up in the molds.

Gregor referred to Lucy2 this week as #2; I guess probably because it was the second one launched and it avoids confusion and the obvious questions as to why they aren't launched in order. My guess is because the level of customization could cause that, but that is just conjecture.

Any idea why? What is the projected launch date for your boat?

How close are you to Patchogue? You should let me know when you are in the area--we could go for a sail.

BTW, No hull ID#s are on any of the boats as far as I could see, and the boat under the tarp was sitting south of the barn under the tarp for a number of weeks.

Marshall
    Last edited by searenitysail; 6th October 2014 at 12:51 AM.
    "People sail for fun and no one has yet convinced me that it's more fun to go slow than it is to go fast." -- Dick Newick

It looks like hull #3 which will be the 4th completed boat will come out in early 2015 time will tell. Did you go for a sail on Lucy or talk to anybody that did on how she sailed, from the photos she seems to be planing more evenly than hull #1. I live south of Boston and do the inspections in one day early down and late back. Thank you for your offer of a sail are you far from the yard if your not i will try to meet you next time down.

mhd,

Yes, Lucy does seem to sit better.

No, I haven't yet. I arrived at the yard after they returned from their sail.

I spoke with one couple after their sail on Friday. They were not multihull sailors, but were impressed with the performance. Saturday rained really hard and they did not sail. Sunday was delightful, but I was working.

Searenity is just across the Patchogue River from the South Shore boat yard. If you walk out on the dock and look up the river you can see her sterns sticking out. Look for the radar just above the spreaders.

Let me know when you are coming next.

Marshall