Thread: SW 24 summer is over

Default SW 24 summer is over

So,
    Summer is over, the cat is safely towed home.
    Some results, impressions and disappointments I would like to share in order to solicit free advice.
    First, I did not have the time/energy to refinish the interior. I will hopefully see to it before the next season.
    Second, the new (for me) boom is a bit short, so I could not use the outhaul properly. Good thing most of the time it was a light air sailing, so I was not after a really flat sail. The only time it was blowing nicely, I was with a non-sailor for a crew, so I was not pushing it, and saw a 9-10 knots on the GPS.
    Third, my old 9.9 Yamaha would push the Seawind easily to 8 knots, but the noise and spray coming around it makes for an uncomfortable ride. Plus, even in moderate chop, the prop would jump out of the water too often.
    And, hard decks are a huge improvement in comfort/safety.

Default Re: SW 24 summer is over

The rig configuration Ive got:
    - Non-overlapping jib, sheeted to the sides of the mast, and to the first winch (Id say, the standard SW 24 center console configuration), right after the engine
    - Main sheeted trough the 4:1-8:1 tackle to the full width traveler, did not see the need to use the winch, in fact, the 7/16 line (chosen so it is comfortable to pull by hand) was quite slow (uncleated line would not go out in light air), too much friction in the blocks.

What I think I would need:
    - option for wider sheeting angle for the jib.
    - Cunningham for the main
    - One size less line for the mainsheet for less friction, the tackle still would make it easy enough to pull
    - Some seating on the deck
    - Some storage on the deck
    - Protection from the spray coming from the bows would be nice too
    - Storage in the hulls (this summer I had crates full with lines, fenders, tools etc., on the floor next to the entrance, inside was not used in any other way)
    - Light air headsail should be quite useful too!
    Any comments/suggestions/critique appreciated very much!

An interesting set of comments. Sorry I can't comment usefully as I have no knowledge of any Seawind and certainly not yours.

I picked up on your saying you got 8kt from your old Yamaha 9.9. 8kt sounds astounding to me for a 24ft boat. Don't change the engine if that is correct .

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

SW24's require a 25" shaft + ideally an extended cavitation plate like a Dolphin or similar.

9.9 is plenty of grunt, they move easily. As said before the Tohatsu 4 stroke 6 is probably a better option due to weight savings.

Add too much weight to the boat at your peril. It screws the designs dynamics. For everything you add look to take away the same amount whereever you can. Hard decks are great but the often used 1/2" ply is a disaster for weight. 15mm Polycore & glass is a much better option.

A short footed blade headsail should sheet off the main beam in the 8 to 12 degree range. Talk to the sail maker, he will know the ideal based on how he cut it. Install tracks to give some range of adjustment.

Bow spray, nothing I have tried contains it. Yet to try wings off the inside bow area (seen it on another boat) and possibly spray rails.

The standard centre console is a weight disaster, a lighter custom one is a good place to grab back some kilos.

What I have for the deck is 0.25 inch marine ply, glassed both sides, over an aluminum frame (4 cross angles between the console and the hulls). Can not say it is the lightest possible, but definitely does not feels overbuilt.
    For the center console... Obviously, it is waay too heavy, plus, it could be made to function better..., like, a winch or two right after the blocks for the jib sheets, better under profile (so it trows a bit less spray from the outboard...), maybe, a cupholder or a seat right over the engine...
    Have you've got any ideas or pics??? Quite possible, even a ply with some glass frame/box would be lighter. Properly designed/made foam/glass should be much better?
    As for the outboard, the electric option - Torqeedo- looks pretty good for the type of use I did (daysailing with friends, power just for the mooring). Limited range and $$ are still making me hesitate.

What I want to do is a little radical for most. I would like to explore the idea of replacing the whole structure between the hulls with a hard deck featuring a central boat shaped foot well and a cuddy cabin. The foot well would become a third hull of sorts riding just over the water due to the SW24's low clearance. I would use something like Polycore for the flat decks and stripplank the cabin and footwell. It would be a simple open back affair for the wife/kids/non sailors keeping them dry yet in the thick of it. To make this work I'd need to save weight and I'd need a taller mast to give clearance for the cuddy cabin. A wet finger in the air tells me that building a new wing mast about say 750mm higher and ALOT lighter, the existing stick is a monster, plus removing the existing centre console and harddecks will leave me with enough in the way of weight saving to make it work.

I want to do a couple of other things to improve windward performance, like new boards and cases (accessible from inboard, deeper and better shape) plus dolphin and pelican strikers. I figure there are some weight savings to be had in that process as well. e.g. lighter cabin floors.

A light torquey 6hp 4 stoke motor like the Tohatsu would be a help as well.

I think you could transform the SW24 from a bit of a beast in a breeze to a more friendly family boat and it would still be a big bang for your dollar.

I have yet to crunch the numbers but I think you could make it work.

I'd want to make it look good as well... not these dog box arrangements you see.

Over the top maybe but people have built full cruising bridge decks on these things so maybe it is not that nuts.

You may chuckle now.
    Last edited by Zed; 30th October 2014 at 07:37 AM.

Sounds interesting.
    Are you any good with foam/glass vacuumbagging? What is the timeframe? I would love to learn from others' mistakes!
    Not that I am any authority, but I did some reading...
    Like http://hem.bredband.net/b262106/index.html claims,
    than by replacing the center beam for an more frame-like construction, both the rigidity and spray/deflection are achieved. Same thing I remember from reading the R. Woods designs site. Mr. Woods even had a design modification sketch, I think, for an improved beam, again, wood frame, ply-glass covered, with some storage inside... Same place has info about an additional center cubby for his "Merlin" design, originally, similar to Seawind 2-hulls on beams and nets concept. The bottom of the cubby was retractable, so to avoid wave slamming while underway, with real headroom when dropped.
    see here
    http://www.sailingcatamarans.com/index.php/plan-updates

Replacing the center beam is probably an option, it is like most things on the SW24 in that it is over built and under engineered! It bends too much, hence the need for the striker. What actually happens when you are sailing slightly off the breeze is that with a big gust the main beam bends down and the rig shifts forward at the top inducing lee helm. When I first got my boat it would catch my wife by surprise when she was steering. She would end up bearing away 20 degrees and accelerating in a some what uncontrolled fashion. I set the rig up with quite a bit more rake than standard, now it goes to wind better and the whole bear away thing doesn't happen... but I still should stiffen the beam with a striker.

The other thing is that the centre beam rests on the inside of the hulls tending to rotate the hulls inward with the rig pressure. Typically designers avoid loading just one side of the hull if possible.

A deeper and stiffer beam engineered correctly may end up being lighter and stiffer than the original. I don't know... it may work in well as a spray barrier and/or with a cuddy cabin. So yes it is certainly worth thinking about.

I'd like to make the boat more family friendly BUT at the end of the day it is still a SW24 so you don't want to spend too much on it! Might be cheaper to just get a different boat if you go too far!

The other thing I have in the back of my mind is to do things such that the boat can be pulled down and built back up as the standard boat if needs be. One off's can be too hard to sell.

Yes, Richard actually came up with the idea for the boat shaped cockpit foot well. We where talking about his Sango design and he suggested a fixed arrangement, boat shaped, may be more suitable for what I wanted. Building or modifying a Sango is something I have though of as an option.