Thread: Having Trouble with New Forum Format. Is it me?

Default Having Trouble with New Forum Format. Is it me?

First tried to click on a link in one of Paul's first posts. Couldn't do it--received same error message others got.

PM'd Paul--his PM said I shouldn't be having problems.

Tried again. Same error. Posted to the same thread adding my message to others who experienced same.

Tried to find the thread. Can't.

Tried to find the thread in My Profile under posts I have made. No posts from me found!

I guess M4US had to move in this direction in the name of progress, but I am very uncomfortable in this new environment. I like it about as much as my Windows 8.1

I love it on this forum, but frustration has me less eager to participate.

Marshall

In addition, I find it disturbing that I can't go back and find any old threads I was part of and that I might be able to go back to as a reference. Using the SEARCH feature for searenitysail shows no posts by me!
    Last edited by searenitysail; 13th December 2014 at 09:57 PM.
    "People sail for fun and no one has yet convinced me that it's more fun to go slow than it is to go fast." -- Dick Newick

Default Re: Having Trouble with New Forum Format. Is it me?

I'm having the same issues. And I don't care much for the new format.
    MikeF....
    1994 Tobago
    "Lauren Marie"

I think we are all having the same problems at the moment. You have clearly investigated it more thoroughly than I have. Let's hope it is a temporary situation.

The format seems to me ok. I prefer the old one but that has gone as part of the progress. This style is common on several other forums and it works.

I see there is another shoal of strange threads, or spam, today.
    They all arise in the vBCms forum. Presumably the V Bulletin Content Management System. They must be some weird quirk of the system.

Mike
    Last edited by dmmbruce; 14th December 2014 at 11:58 AM.
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

We are returning to a format that is nearer to the old one but offering more features. This format iOS just a stepping stone.
    None of the posts have been lost and I am currently trying to understand exactly what you are experiencing.
    Marshall has 0bver 780 post still on the forum.
    Can someone explain the exact details of what is happening?
    Safe Sailing
    Paul
    Blog: www.suliere.com

Paul there have been a stream of new threads initiated by ForumAdmin in the vBCms forum. They all had strange headings and each said that we could now view some long url. When we clicked on the url we got messages that we did not have permission to view that site. You will have seen some threads eg from Sigma showing the error messages. However new threads started by members in the normal forums have worked fine.

I have just checked for the lost threads problem that Marshall mentioned and I have 10 past posts and I have created no new threads, apparently. That is probably correct since the new format/version came into effect. The old posts and threads seem to be lost. However the profile summary shows that I have a large number of posts from the past. Strange.

I have just copied and pasted one of the strange messages that has arrived this morning, as follows.

Mike

Article: Manhattan Beach - California

Safe Sailing
    Paul
    Last edited by dmmbruce; 15th December 2014 at 10:00 AM.

I must be having abad day - what is the vBCms forum?

Safe Sailing
    Paul

Paul it is the forum shown as being the one from which these strange threads have been coming in your name. You see, you are cleverer than you thought!

It is not listed in the Forum list. But it was shown in the right hand column of the Latest Posts page and it appeared in the lower right field of the post when it was opened. Curiously, in the Activity page the strange posts are not listed.

Sorry for laughing, I rather thought that you would be the person who was in the know.

Cheers!

Mike

Paul,

Posting here rather than in PM so if anyone else is having same problems they can chime in.

1. When I go to My Profile and look at STATISTICS it states the number of posts I have made, but it does not offer a choice to 'see all your posts' or see 'all threads started by you' -- in the old format, I could access ALL of my posts this way. I can't find how to find my posts.

2. If I use the ADVANCED SEARCH feature, and search by USER NAME and search for "searenitysail" nothing is found except posts in this thread.

3. If I click on 'searenitysail' at the top of this post, and click on 'View Forum Posts' it only shows the posts I have made in this thread.

While I don't care for the layout of the new forum, my main issue is finding my old posts.

Thanks for all your work on this forum and the service you provide through it. I hope you can help me.

Marshall
    "People sail for fun and no one has yet convinced me that it's more fun to go slow than it is to go fast." -- Dick Newick

Paul,

Amongst the many postings I made on the old format I also initiated a thread "Wave piercing bows" ( or similar ). When I now search for this thread as I would like to add a posting nothing shows up.

And the search engine only shows up any postings I made since we went to the new format.

Hope this helps and does not give you headache (and the smilies are not showing up correctly, many with " ? " !!
    Roger

------------------
    I look to the future, because that's where I am going to spend the rest of my life - George Burns

Paul, if you want to see another example of the strange threads, look at the current one that Peter has just replied to. It is headed Article: Manhattan Beach - California and is in the vBCms forum

Mike

Ok...all understood and I have now contacted the hosting company as this happened in the migration.
    We went up to version 4.4.4 then because this had problems down a version. It seems in this process we have encountered this issue.
    It is being worked on and I will keep you posted.
    Safe Sailing
    Paul

It seems that all the posts are three but the link between the posts and the user before the upgrade are lost so hopefully it will be a matter of running a script to re-link the user to the posts.
    Safe Sailing
    Paul

Ok - an index rebuild is being done now.
    it will take some time as there are tens of thousands of posts but everything should be normal when its finished.
    I will let you know when it is over.
    Safe Sailing
    Paul

The rebuild is already complete.
    Can everyone with an issue please check and report back any issues to me.
    Safe Sailing
    Paul

Have just tried and my "wave piercing bows" thread is showing up in the search and also my previous posts - looks like it's done!

The Smilies are still not showing up properly
    Roger

------------------
    I look to the future, because that's where I am going to spend the rest of my life - George Burns

It looks like I can find my posts and started threads, though I need to do a little "wading" to dredge them up.

It was a lot more convenient to find them in the old forum format -- I could go to STATISTICS and could choose to 'see all your posts' or see 'all threads started by you' -- I could access ALL of my posts this way.

I guess this is progress--just like Windows 8.1 YUCCH!!!

Marshall

Marshall
    The forum will soon change to give you what you want.
    I do not like this layout and it is going to change.
    Just wish to make sure that all is working fine at each stage before progressing to the next.
    We will get there and you will like it...promis
    Safe Sailing
    Paul

Paul,

Thank you, I look forward to that--I really appreciate what you have done for the multihull community with this forum, and I didn't want to seem ungrateful.

Marshall