Thread: Deckwash pump location?

Default Deckwash pump location?

I have a new Seawind 1000 XL2 but did not include deck wash in the options. I have purchased a pump. Can someone please let me know where this is usually installed. I assume in the locker behind the head where the gas hot water heater is located or in the seat bin at the little fold up table next to the galley which is also where my fresh water pump is installed.

Default Re: Deckwash pump location?

Quote Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
    I have a new Seawind 1000 XL2 but did not include deck wash in the options. I have purchased a pump. Can someone please let me know where this is usually installed. I assume in the locker behind the head where the gas hot water heater is located or in the seat bin at the little fold up table next to the galley which is also where my fresh water pump is installed.
    The latter. I will try and get a photo on an installation for you. Strange that you were not offered the option, Factory has fitted one to every XL and XL2 I have sold.

Thanks for your reply. I would appreciate a photo if you can do that.
    I am very new to sailing. First lesson was the YA Keelboat Course 12 months ago. So when I ordered my cat I basically stuck with the suggested options list. Deck wash was available but not on suggested options. After handover I left my boat at Rozelle for 3 months without a problem but after sailing back home to Melbourne with my delivery skipper I was shite bombed daily by seagulls.
    Could you also confirm my impression that virtually no Seawind owners fresh water flush their Yamaha 9.9 HP Hi Thrust outboards. Does this result in a greatly reduced motor life due to corrosion?

Quote Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I would appreciate a photo if you can do that.
    I am very new to sailing. First lesson was the YA Keelboat Course 12 months ago. So when I ordered my cat I basically stuck with the suggested options list. Deck wash was available but not on suggested options. After handover I left my boat at Rozelle for 3 months without a problem but after sailing back home to Melbourne with my delivery skipper I was shite bombed daily by seagulls.
    Could you also confirm my impression that virtually no Seawind owners fresh water flush their Yamaha 9.9 HP Hi Thrust outboards. Does this result in a greatly reduced motor life due to corrosion?
    Yes - correct virtually none do the fresh water flush and virtually none have issues.

I have been using this (cheap) kit for deck washing, using sea water- so far so good! Although, I do run fresh water thru pump after using sea water.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-PROTE...-/140906058491

Do others use fresh water for deck washing or do you use more readily available salt water?

Quote Originally Posted by ourh View Post
    I have been using this (cheap) kit for deck washing, using sea water- so far so good! Although, I do run fresh water thru pump after using sea water.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-PROTE...-/140906058491

Do others use fresh water for deck washing or do you use more readily available salt water?
    Good price! At first, I wanted to make a portable arrangement with the pump I purchased (Johnson 5.2) because I can't install a sea water supply skin fitting until first haul out. But I will now install and use a temporary suction hose through a hatch.

I think if I was on a marina I would make it a fresh water system. But as I am on a swing mooring I am setting up for sea water. I am still considering if I should fit a changeover valve and a non return valve to also plumb in tank fresh water to flush out the pump and maybe also use a small amount of fresh water as a last rinse of sensitive parts.