Thread: The Pope approves spanking...

Home port Chesapeake Bay; Cruising full time.

Default The Pope approves spanking...

So, I see today that the Pope has made the news by stating that spanking children is OK in some circumstances.

Hmmmm.

Whether or not any parent agrees with this or should or should not agree with it, what is this statement based upon? The Pope's own experience? The next thing you know priests will be giving marriage advice. Oh? They already do that? Why would anyone consider that credible? More like incredible....

Dave

'Estrella del Sur' is currently on the hard in Fort Pierce, Florida for hurricane season.

Default Re: The Pope approves spanking...

Dave, considering hs age and his cultural background, I guess we should be surprised that he only endorsed spanking as being appropriate 'in some circumstances'. Never a fan of corporal punishment myself ( in spite, or perhaps in part because of being subject to the same both at home and school while growing up), I nevertheless resorted to spanking my own son once while he was growing up. He was 2 years old and I had repeatedly lectured him not to go out on the road in front of our home (a rural area where cars would aften fly by ). One afternoon he was playing in the front yard and when I went to call him in, he started running towards the road while looking back at me, squeeling with delight. Sure enough, he ran out into the path of an oncoming car that came to a screeching stop, just short of running him over. My heart was obviously in my mouth and the most disconcerting part was that he did not seem shaken by the incident. I took him calmly back into the house and spanked him for the first and last time in his life, explaining why I had done so. It was not particulary hard or long, but I had decided that at age 2, 'reasoning' was not and would not work with him at avoiding a recurrence. Perhaps it was coincidence, or perhaps it was because he had never before been spanked, but he never did that again. So I guess I am a non-catholic who agrees with the Pope that spanking may be appropriate in some (very limited) circumstances.

In Canada, corporal punishment is still legal for corrective purposes by parents/people in loco parentis, but the courts have limited it to force being applied below the shoulders, without the use of any object, with insufficient force to leave marks and for corrective purposes only (and not in anger). Many, of course, clamour for a complete abolition and, in spite of my own experience, I guess I would support that over it being used regularly as a corrective measure. If done with any frequency, IMO it not speaks to bad parenting (failing to distinguish serious and life-threatening situations from relatively minor ones; using it on children of an age where they are able to reason). I also suspect that regular spanking causes it to lose its effectiveness and to teach children that violence is a solutioin to life's problems..... But what do I know? I only know that my son never ran out onto the road again and that he grew up to be a completely non-violent, non-threatening individual. He likely would have done so even if he I had not made the, yes, 'rational' decision to spank him on that occasion. But in spite of that, I do not regret my decision in the circumstances.

Brad

Hi Brad - how was your charter?

I had forgotten about this thread. My oldstimers disease again.

My point was not whether spanking children should or shouldn't be condoned, rather, it was questioning whether the Pope had any standing to make an argument either way. You and I are both real Fathers and can have a real basis for our conclusions.

Dave

'Estrella del Sur' is currently on the hard in Fort Pierce, Florida for hurricane season.

Got you and frankly, I completely agree. It is much the same as priests giving marriage counselling - I mean, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but....... And the charter went well. In spite of the cautions from you and some others, much enjoyed Anguilla - they now charge zero for anchoring, clearing in or out in Road Town and enjoyed some great tapas at a beachfront restaurant called Beachbar, I believe. Also enjoyed being anchored beside the rebuilt Gunboat 62 'Tribe'. Had some enjoyable drinks at the Sint Maarten yacht club with Mark J from that 'other site': $2 beers and as you know, a great spot to watch the boats (including the mega yacht that belongs to the owner of Victoria's Secret) battling in and out of Simpson Lagoon during bridge openings. Tuesday night street party in Grand Case is still worth hitting and St. Barth's is as expensive as ever! For cost reasons we chartered a Sunsail (Beneteau) 44i as there were only four of us - and once again, it convinced my wife that she could not cruise for an extended period on a monohulll of that size as the cabins were so claustophobic (virtually zero headroom over the aft berths) and due to the rolling under anchor (and we were suffering a north swell much of the time which created some problems).

Brad

If Anguilla has dropped their very expensive permitting process, then that's a bonus. We too enjoyed the beach bars in Road Bay. View from above. My boat the cat closest to the end of the pier:
    _DSC3089.jpg

Fair winds,
    Dave

I ddin't check the cost of the permits for the other islands/anchorages as we were only chartering for one week and most were for lunch hooks only. Still love (and envy) your boat!

Brad