Thread: Rigging tension

Default Rigging tension

We own a 440 and replaced some standing rigging this past fall. Dies anybody have the correct tensions?
    Thanks

Steve

Default Re: Rigging tension

Are they available from either the manufacturer, or the mast maker?

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Not a Lagoon, but we use the PDT standard. We just cinch up the shrouds until they are Pretty Darn Tight. To be honest, I'm not aware of any other practical method. A tension gauge for your rigging, assuming it is 12 or 14mm, would be very expensive if you can even find one.

keep an eye on the gib/forestay.. taking most of the slack out can be another indicator.

Just find a competent rigger or tension them up yourself. Try and keep your rig to a similar tension on predominantly your upper cap shrouds and keep your lowers to about an even tension. You can use a tape measure if the rigging has been done properly to the same length and measure from the same place each time as you tension them. As far as doing your diamonds, I prefer to set a string line before I detension them and when re tensioning the new rigging, tension to the same measurement. This ensures that your main sail will fit the mast the same as it did before as there is a good possibility that the sail maker has taken the bend of the mast into account when making the main.
    L&N

The tighter, the better. Lube the turnbuckles. While on a beam reach tighten the leeward side. Change tacks and repeat on the other side. Check and adjust the mast prebend to Voyage specs. Make sure the crossbeam is straight too - adjust if necessary.