Thread: Heresy on this site, I know, but.....

Default Heresy on this site, I know, but.....

A friend asked me to deliver his S&S 47 foot timber classic racing yacht back from Hobart to Sydney. Yes, a mono! Heresy! Three times race winner since launch in 1974, most recently in 2006, she's a grand old girl.
    Driving this boat in front of 35 knots and 3-4m seas was just a delight. Just the poled out yankee gave us top boatspeeds of 13-14 knots keeping us in front of most of the breakers; stormboards were in as we did get pooped a couple of times.
    Magnificent sailing and a privelige to be in command of such a stately vessel.
    Yes, only half a boat I know, but great sailing is great sailing regardless. Heresy!20150226_070118.jpg

Default Re: Heresy on this site, I know, but.....

Nice!

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Default Re: Heresy on this site, I know, but.....

[QUOTE=ocean_groover;71170] Yes, a mono! Heresy! Three times race winner since launch in 1974, most recently in 2006, she's a grand old girl.
    Yes, only half a boat I know, but great sailing is great sailing regardless. Heresy!UOTE]

I can share your feeling about those grand old half boats, helped to deliver an old SWAN 57 from Malta to Ibiza last year and running downwind in F 5-6 we were romping along at 12 kts with easy steering.

Still prefer a multihull though!
    Roger

------------------
    I look to the future, because that's where I am going to spend the rest of my life - George Burns