Thread: 420 Lagoon pros and cons

Default 420 Lagoon pros and cons

My wife and I have sold our mono hull and are seriously looking at the 420 lagoon. I would appreciate any comments that might help us learn about this catamaran.

Default Re: 420 Lagoon pros and cons

Hello LLMOD, and welcome.

You may find some useful information and particularly leads in this thread http://www.multihulls4us.com/forums/...sails-the-best

There is reference there to the Yahoo groups as well and the Lagoon group may well have more information.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

You might want to change your screen name to something that doesn't include your email address. There also has been discussions on the L420/421 on CF recently as well as older threads.
    I've never been on one but the general consensus seems to be that they are sturdy boats, and sail comfortably with about average or slightly less than average speed.
    BOB
    Going to the shrink 2 days in a row is making me crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by LLMOD@aol.com View Post
    My wife and I have sold our mono hull and are seriously looking at the 420 lagoon. I would appreciate any comments that might help us learn about this catamaran.
    It would be interesting to hear about the reason why you are "seriously looking" at this particular catamaran?

I bought my 420 Hybrid in 2007 because it provided the best liveability in its class and astonishing value for money. Judging by a few reviews I've read recently, some of the competitors are beginning to catch up, but in 2007 nothing else was comparable. After nearly eight years of ownership and 15,000 sea miles, including two Atlantic crossings with ten or eleven crew aboard, I do not believe I could have made a better choice.

The Hybrid propulsion is controversial and most people have converted to conventional twin Yanmar diesels, but I love it (despite it being somewhat underpowered and the weight of the batteries + prop drag slowing sailing performance). The diesel version is faster under both sail and power and is competitive. Two 420s came first and 2nd in the multihull class of the ARC a few years ago, so in the right conditions it is fast. The Hybrid, because of the additional weight of the batteries requires a good blow to get her moving, but performs very well in winds from 10 to 30 knots.

The outstanding visability from the saloon is not only a great feature when in harbour or at anchor, but it is a significant safety feature when underway, particularly in foul weather or at night. The Lagoon look, with the vertical windows is not to everyone's taste, but, to me, function follows form and I like the look, In fact. I find most catamarans with their 'go-faster' look of the sloping saloon roof look ugly and ridiculous, because I can't help imagine the poor visibility, cave like feel, and lack of protection from the baking heat of the sun. Lagoons saloons are superbly ventilated and protected from the baking heat of the sun, with the saloon roof overhang sheltering us from the worst effect of the sun. Ventilation is superb throughout the boat and we have never felt the need for air conditioning.

Under sail, the 420 is workmanlike, practical and easy to sail. Perhaps too easy for real sailors. The rig is very forgiving, so we tend to set the sails and leave them too it, without the need for constant tweaking - just reefing (from the safety of the helm) as required at predetermined wind-speeds.

The rigid bimini provides for a sheltered, yet open and airy, cockpit and helm and also provides a safe and practical deck for mainsail handling. It also acts as a high diving board for the adventurous, a place of privacy for those who want to be alone, a sunset viewing platform, a sunbathing station and an expanse of untravelled deck for mounting PV panels.

Construction of the hulls and superstructure is solid, although some of the mass-construction methods used to hold some of the parts together (silicone sealant and foam) appear questionable - yet have stood the test of time.

The wide hulls may be sub-optimum in terms of top-end and bottom-end performance, but provide a vast amount of space below and astonishing load carrying capacity - we carried 4.5 tonnes of provisions and equipment across the Atlantic, without adversely affecting performance.

I could go on, but have to get to work. I'll just finish by mentioning the four design faults, the triviality of which, I think, give the measure of the boat as much as the positive points.

When it's raining, water on hitting the bimini tends to run round the forward end causing a rivulet of water to land on the helm, which is annoying, but since there is rarely a need to be at the helm one simply moves to somewhere else.

Similarly, rainwater hitting the saloon roof tends to run around the eyebrows and in at the two hatches at the forward end of the saloon, if one has been foolish enough to leave them open

Velcro is used to hold the saloon cushions in place, which is OK for the most part, but is inadequate for the outer saloon seats, which gets far more traffic.

The original helm seat fitted to the 2007 model looked OK but proved impractical in use. The back was raked at too large an angle, providing no back support. Also, the cantilevered seat bottom inevitably got broken when it finally encountered the weight of one of our more generously proportioned guests. Fortunately these faults were easy to rectify.

Chris
    Octopus, Lagoon 420 Hybrid, Hull 52
    Isle of Arran, Scotland
    Last edited by Octopus; 25th March 2015 at 09:20 AM.

I am 6'4" and need a cat with ample head room. WE have a large family and need a boat with good storage and can accommodate 4 berths and four heads with separate showers. We like the helm station close to the outside seating and salon. My wife and I will do most of the sailing and this boat allows the guest to be in the same area while we work the boat. also on times when it is the wife and I this boat will allow us to be in close contact even in rough weather conditions.

Chris:
    Thanks for the info, we are excited about having a 420, I too would find the hybrid acceptable. I think in the future this will be a good choice, if you want to get off the grid.

Quote Originally Posted by LLMOD@aol.com View Post
    I am 6'4" and need a cat with ample head room. WE have a large family and need a boat with good storage and can accommodate 4 berths and four heads with separate showers. We like the helm station close to the outside seating and salon. My wife and I will do most of the sailing and this boat allows the guest to be in the same area while we work the boat. also on times when it is the wife and I this boat will allow us to be in close contact even in rough weather conditions.
    These sound like very good reasons for choosing the 420 over other cats.

How big is your family? We have six children and they were aged between six and twelve when we set off on our Atlantic Circuit in 2007. My wife and I had a little monohull experience, but neither of us had set foot on a boat for ten years on the day we took delivery in September 2007, yet three weeks later we had the confidence to set sail across the Bay of Biscay from the UK. The Lagoon 420 was perfect for the purpose and everything went according to plan. We had two extra crew for the passage from the Canary Islands to the Barbados, to share the burden of the night watches. By the time we came back, five months later, we didn't really need the extra crew, but were joined by three of our friends. The boat never seemed crowded, even with eleven on board.

Where are you based and what are your plans?

Chris
    Octopus, Lagoon 420 Hybrid, Hull 52
    Isle of Arran, Scotland

WE are located in Tampa Bay FL area, we intend to cruise the Carribean, Bahamas, Virgin Islands and Cuba when it is available. After that the world is our Map