Thread: Trouble spots- things you would inspect during a test sail/survey- Voyage 430 Norseman

Default Trouble spots- things you would inspect during a test sail/survey- Voyage 430 Norseman

I am headed down to the boat i have a contract on the weekend of May 2nd/3rd.

I have a copy of a recent survey buy a trusted surveyor, but I wanted to see if any of you had any advice on anything in particular i should pay close attention too.

Any trouble spots? Areas of concern? on this model?

I already know that she needs new sails ( they are original) and I will probably be replacing some/all of the stays as well.

Stan
    Join the Voyage Catamaran Owners Group on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1614218135459635/

Default Re: Trouble spots- things you would inspect during a test sail/survey- Voyage 430 Norseman

I find the below site to be a good guide for a first look. Nevertheless, there's no way I'd buy a boat without my own survey by my chosen surveyor.

http://www.pcmarinesurveys.com/Marin...rvey%20101.htm

Default Re: Trouble spots- things you would inspect during a test sail/survey- Voyage 430 Norseman

The surveyor that my broker normally uses surveyed this boat less than 6 months ago, I have spoke with him and have the complete documentation. The boat has basically been sitting since them with the owner making repairs and upgrades. I'm going through it line by line.

i was hoping for info specific to Voyage 430's.

Wow that is a detailed guide.. I will definitely have it on hand when I inspect the vessel!

That is a great bit of information for any buyer or seller!

Steve, how is the sale going?

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Hi Mike,

We have moved the boat to Thornham ready for their secondhand boat show next weekend
    so fingers crossed!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by StanLee View Post
    The surveyor that my broker normally uses surveyed this boat less than 6 months ago, I have spoke with him and have the complete documentation. The boat has basically been sitting since them with the owner making repairs and upgrades. I'm going through it line by line.

i was hoping for info specific to Voyage 430's.
    Usually not a good idea to use a surveyor recommended by the broker. The broker gives him lots of business and the surveyor makes sure the boat passes survey.

Quote Originally Posted by smj View Post
    Usually not a good idea to use a surveyor recommended by the broker. The broker gives him lots of business and the surveyor makes sure the boat passes survey.
    I'll second that. The reason why I above stated: "my chosen surveyor."

A broker selling a boat I once had a contract on gave me a list of surveyors who he knew were 'good'. So I found a surveyor from outside the area that wasn't on the list and paid for his travel expenses. The boat had high moisture readings, signs of bulkhead movement, evidence of a hard grounding and some not so good repairs to one of the keels. I walked away and the broker got nasty with the surveyor and threatened to never let him in his yard again.

Next time I need a survey I will use the same approach. Get a surveyor from outside the area that is not on the brokers list of preferred surveyors.

Quote Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
    I'll second that. The reason why I above stated: "my chosen surveyor."
    Sorry tamicatana I didn't catch your post. At least great minds think alike:-)