Thread: Racor Fuel Filter

Default Racor Fuel Filter

This winter I totally rebuilt the windlass structure to give more depth for the chain fall, and other advantages. I'm real happy with the results, and will post pictures when the job is completely finished.

However, like the Cat in the Hat, what I have done suggests that I should move the Racor, and while I am doing that, I should change the plumbing a bit.

Wanting to reverse the inlet and outlet ports, I asked Racor if this was possible. They said this could not be done on my older Model 500 (after I specifically asked, they acknowledged that the base on the newer versions can be rotated 180* from what is shown in the literature). Then I looked a little closer at their picture with flow arrows, and realize that's exactly how I want to change it to!

Which means one of the following:

1 My old style Model 500 was made with flow direction opposite to the "out of the box" mounting of the new style.

2 The builder installed the Racor incorrectly and it is filtering backwards (thus, I assume the water separator would not function).

3 The filter is a clone, and may be different altogether.

Of course, I can and will investigate closer to find the answer when I return to the boat. I believe the "Racor" paperwork is there which should indicate the proper flow direction. I probably would need to remove it to see if there are any inlet/outlet markings, and I'd like to have in hand all the hardware to do the job when I do that.

The reason I'm posting this is to alert others that there *might* be an issue here with the fuel system. I'll let you know what I find. In the meantime (and to be honest, this is the main reason for the post) if any of you are on you boat and can take a look at your system, I'd be interested in what you have. My boat is not so conveniently located now.

On our 430 built in 2000, the fuel flows from left to right when looking at the front of the Racor. On these older Racors, the mounting bracket is part of the canister, while the new style has a mounting bracket that I understand clamps around the canister, and thus can be rotated.

Thanks!
    Last edited by ggray; 10th May 2015 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Typo

Default Re: Racor Fuel Filter

It is fairly easy to check if yours are round the wrong way. Turn off the fuel tap (I have one right next to the filter to facilitate filter changes good addition if re-plumbing), drain the bowl, remove the top as if to change the filter, with the top off open the tap and watch how the unit fills.

Gary, can't wait to see the anchor changes. I am so ready to get that done as well. I just have not seen the best way to accomplish it. I know your solution will be my next project, so I Thank You in advance for as much information as you have time to post. This is Tom in Pensacola, it's been awhile since we talked. Seasta@cox.net, thanks.

Hi Tom
    I was hoping to post some preliminary photos here for you now, but the battery in my iPad is about dead.

The problem with the installation on all the Voyage cats I've seen is that positioning the windlass platform where it does not prevent removal/installation of the fuel tank necessitates the windlass being located farther forward and lower than you would want.

So I planned on making the new platform higher and farther aft, but removable. It comes out in two separate components, plus a third minor part.

I'm very happy with it, but it took a lot of time. But I enjoyed doing it.

I'm looking forward to seeing the pics. The windlass location is not my favorite feature of our voyage.
    Join the Voyage Catamaran Owners Group on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1614218135459635/

After removing the Racor and being able to examine it, I now know that Voyage did NOT plumb the Racor backwards.

In spite of what Racor technical support told me , the older 500s CAN be reversed if the layout of the fuel lines require doing so, although it requires disassembly of the filter body. (The newer versions are much simpler to convert.) This crucial information is not in my Racor installation manual, BTW. But the Voyage people knew what they were doing, and did it right.

Frankly, I'm surprised that the information I received from Racor was wrong. I would have expected their tech support to really know their product inside and out, even though mine was the older model.

Oh, I have PMed a couple of members who expressed interest, and hope to email them pictures of my new anchor locker/windlass base.