Thread: Leak in Stern Crush Compartment

Default Leak in Stern Crush Compartment

Hello,

Has anyone dealt with a leaking seam in the crush compartment under the sugar scoop? We have resealed every screw hole for the ladder and door attachments in the area but water persists when we "pull the plug". The leak only occurs when the scoops are awash while underway . The factory says it could be the joint thats covered with a moulding. Our boat is a '99 Privilege 42.

Thanks, Bill
    Last edited by BillyBones; 21st May 2015 at 05:12 PM. Reason: added information

Default Re: Leak in Stern Crush Compartment

I've got exactly the same problem on my port hull of my 435. I haven't had a chance to address it yet so am interested to hear what you discover.

Having never pulled that plug on either hull, I don't know whether it is a problem and will now be compelled to check. Thanks a lot.....

I suspect its a known weakness as I was asked at the factory whether mine leaked. Mine don't but only because I'd remove the teak strips and sealed all the f*ckups made when the built the boat before putting down new (fake) teak...

I had this problem in both hulls in my P37. During a haulout I had seawater dripping from the vinyl rub rail on port hull. I removed rub rail and water ran out screw holes which fastened the rubrail. Some screw holes were oblong shape and screws were bent. Previous owner must have had an impact on rubrail to bend screws and open holes. The fix was to fill all holes with epoxy putty and install new rub rails on both hulls with screws and 3M 5200. I did not see any removable plugs in crash boxes so I drilled 1 inch holes through the top (under the lid) with a hole saw. I pumped water out through this hole (several gallons in each hull) then rinsed with fresh water and pumped out again. I put a fan over hole for a couple days to dry it out and then glued the hole saw plug back in with epoxy. I noticed a nice improvement in performance after removing lots of weight from both hulls.

Ditto case on our P37. Starboard transom has to be drained periodically. I also suspect the screw holes. There is however a bit of fuzz to fix it and be sure that the holes are properly sealed with the screws mounted. And when this is done, one can just expect someone to soon bump into you or you hit something yourself. The screws are easily bent and the rubber rail displced. And you have to start over. I have found it easier to pull the drain plugs on one of the many occasions when I go into the engine room anyway.

If I ever have the boat on land for extended time and have the possibility to check up on it, I would like to do it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
    Ditto case on our P37. Starboard transom has to be drained periodically. I also suspect the screw holes. There is however a bit of fuzz to fix it and be sure that the holes are properly sealed with the screws mounted. And when this is done, one can just expect someone to soon bump into you or you hit something yourself. The screws are easily bent and the rubber rail displced. And you have to start over. I have found it easier to pull the drain plugs on one of the many occasions when I go into the engine room anyway.

If I ever have the boat on land for extended time and have the possibility to check up on it, I would like to do it though.
    Lucky, I fixed my rub rails while boat was at the dock. I emptied the aft lockers, removed the dinghy and lightened up the aft end so rub rails were above water line. It worked fine. Greg

Our port sugar scoop was always low. In June we were at Cape Charles Yacht Center on the Chesapeake doing a bottom paint job and found a constant drip from under the rub rail. We found the screw holes go completely through into the crush area. Yacht Center personnel said that was common. We filled several holes and sealed the screws as we replaced the rub rail. Removing the plastic screw in plug from the rear of the port engine compartment allowed 10 to 15 gallon of water to escape from the crash compartment and be pumped out. The port sugar scoop has been riding high since.

Hi, svcattales, I am in this forum too seldom...

Actually our rub rails are 2-3 inches over the water when anchored or at standstill. I believe most (all) P37's will have wash into the transoms when sailing. I also believe that is when water enters the crashbox.

I read that svcattales changed the rubrails. Did you (or anyone else) get the same as the original, and if so where? When I search for such products, I find that they ar mostly black vinyl. I thought that my originals were rubber, but they might as well be soft vinyl. But they are (or used to be) white.

I bought this one from West Marine in the U.S. http://www.westmarine.com/buy/taco--...?pCode=1954965

Don't think it was exactly the same as the original on my P435 but very close.