Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cruising proas

How about some pictures to illustrate your point. I understand the styling is all your own work. The earlier "visionary "styling was created by Mark Stevens .

Rob, when you say you regularly sail in 30 knots why not include the usual venue, the Swan River, as this bit of info certainly paints a clearer picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by catty View Post
    How about some pictures to illustrate your point. I understand the styling is all your own work. The earlier "visionary "styling was created by Mark Stevens .

Rob, when you say you regularly sail in 30 knots why not include the usual venue, the Swan River, as this bit of info certainly paints a clearer picture.

G'day,
    Thanks, for posting the picture. There are some others, with different styling on www.harryproa.com I leave the style required entirely up to the owner. Often takes a hundred or so emails and many redraws to get a look they are happy with, but it is usually an enjoyable process for both parties. The charter boat is a bit of an exception to this as cost, performance and ease of use were considered much more important than looks so it was very much form follows function.

And if you think the styling on the charter boat is odd, wait until you see the new 15m/50'ter. Will give you something new to talk about. And at a cost and weight that you can spend the build time (all 3 months of it) grilling me about as you definitely will not believe they are possible.

Sorry about the sailing location, I usually include it, as you know. I did occasionally sail harrigami (10.5m trailer sailer) and harry (12m weekender) on the Indian Ocean in 30 knots, if that makes it any clearer. Regularly is probably a bit of a misnomer now as well, as I did not get out much last summer, and not at all so far this one.

regards,

Rob

Default Re: Cruising proas

Here is a short video of "Rare Bird" sailing in the Brisbane to Gladstone race:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pOsg...eature=related.
    Roger

------------------
    I look to the future, because that's where I am going to spend the rest of my life - George Burns

A Visionarry, similar to the one in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8chR6DAFjGA attended the Multihull gathering in Denmark recently as part of a longer cruise. The owners comments follow.

We managed to sail up wind like a Louisiane cat (double centerboards) quite easily,
    actually we outsailed it , but when the wind ceased, it outsailed us. We also
    managed t o follow a TRT1200 cat same speed and course for a minute or two, but
    we had some too careless steering and the boat stalled. The TRT1200 sailor was
    surprised and came to talk to me afterwards. Down wind we are fast. We outsailed
    cruising cats with spinnakers. Vis is not a light wind performer really.
    There were 12 boats on the racing course in our class "big cruising boats". It
    was only 11 miles of which 6 miles upwind in light winds next to city shore.
    These were very bad conditions for us (more foil area...!!..) There were four boats behind us at the
    finish line ( not to mention how many were ahead).

> > We have now experience about living aboard Visionarry with a family of
    > > four and a dog three weeks, still one week to go. We visited the
    > > Internationa Multihull Meeting 2009. There were 130 boats. We also
    > > participated short course race. We sailed from
    > > Helsinki to Copenhagen and now we are on a way back home, at the moment
    > > in Visby. Living has been easy. We had some bad weather when sailing
    > > from Simrishamn to Ystad around Sandhammaren. That was tight luffing
    > > upwind against high wawes. The boat felt solid and the rig worked
    > > well. We had some exhausting luffing in the end with full main only.
    > > About living aboard; There is plenty of room. Sometimes quite tight in
    > > the bridgedeck cabin when going in and out. We have a sliding table
    > > which is very useful.
    > > Steering has worked well now when we got the steering lines tight. Next
    > > job is to build symmetric profile daggerboards to make steering lighter
    > > and to be competitive against cats. On downwind and reach we are fast.

From one of the crew:

I went sailing on Ono with Arttu last Friday. Boat was fine. Unfortunately very light winds kept speeds low. Few data bits for people wanting to know about performance: First motoring in no wind in the morning at 5,5 knots with one 9,9 hp Yamaha at cruising speed, top speed 8 knots with two 9,9 yamahas. Then sailing in light winds (weather observations in the area showed 6 knots winds in the afternoon): boat speed 4,5 knots dead downwind, 5-6 knots when changed course a bit from dead downwind and 7,5-8 knots when reaching, all speeds are SOG according to GPS. Handling the boat was even easier than I had thought.

Accommodations were bigger and better in reality than what is seen in the pictures. Some details still need some work and thinking but no major issues.

Funny thing: about half of the boats we met had cameras in hand smile.gif

Arto

I'm a bit late to the party, but it appears to me that a this could be thought of as a double ended tri, rig moved to one ama, and the other ama removed? On one hand that might not be a constructive description, but it brings a couple thoughts to mind. (a) one of the things some like about tris vs cats is one slightly beamier (above the water line) living hull, rather than two narrow ones. For a cruising couple that doesn't need 4 staterooms, it could be better use of space, $, weight. (b) why is the living hull shorter than the hull with the rig? I can't tell from the drawings, but it appears to have a bit more waterline beam, so wouldn't you want it to have => LWL than the leward hull to maintain similar slenderness ratios? is it related to the asymmetric driving force? (c) perhaps I'm going off the deep end, but as a tri can swing/fold amas for transport or fitting in a slip, you could imagine something similar with this design using a dragonfly-like, cat2fold, or some other mechanism. Fold some of the hard top (or replace with canvas) and you could get it down to 14-16' beam. With a 50' living hull (windward hull? is there a name?), you could make it a bit more spacious inside and in the cockpit. Might also be able to give it a bit more symmetrical look, if that is important to some.

One of the videos shows a fair bit of spray off the leeward hull (Rare Bird 2009), would need to address that somehow, it'll only get worse in large seas.

Neat concept, love designs that challenge conventional wisdom.

Glad you like it. The tri analogy is near enough. The windward hull is fatter for it's length and could easily be longer. I make them smaller as the space in the ends is not really usable, the torque loads on the beams are less, the weight and drag are lower and importantly, when the boat is moving slowly, the wetted surface of the short hull is less. L/B is between 11 and 12 to 1 and as the boat gets powered up, it gets higher as the hull lifts. Lee hulls are nearer 20:1. As well as the slenderness, the lack of rocker is a significant go fast feature.

I am building a folding beam 50'ter, a cat 2 fold version will be built in Chicago this winter and a sliding beam 50 footer is part built in Canberra Australia. All will be blogged on www.harryproa.com

The lee hull spray is a function of over maximising the prismatic coefficient. Fixed on future boats.

rob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12