Thread: 1978 Quest 31 navigation light - how to open?

Default 1978 Quest 31 navigation light - how to open?

Hi,

I have to change the port side bulb at the front rooftop. How can I open it?

There is a small black "nose" at the bottom of the metal casing (seems to be original), but I an afraid to destroy something or to cause a leakage.

Thanks for any idea!

Charlie

Default Re: 1978 Quest 31 navigation light - how to open?

Do you have a picture?

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Sorry, shure:

P.S. Because of any reason I did not get a message of your reply, Mike - hope this doesn't matter and you're still "on"!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by charlie.magen; 26th August 2015 at 07:00 PM.

Ah, that looks like a light we had some time ago. It was attached with a "bayonet" fixing. But the rubber seal had perished and we had to chase round it very carefully with a thin sharp knife to release the outside, then spray in something, probably WD 40, to release the base. Two hands and some force, with care, turned it slightly anti-clockwise and it came off. But we had trouble getting a replacement rubber seal and had to cut one from an old car tyre inner tube.

Your picture seems to show a top to the light that appears to be separate from the rest of the light. I would try to remove that top as the first line of attack. If it will lift, you will be able to see the bulb and replace it, or change it to an LED style bulb. That looks more likely than the bayonet fixing approach that I explained above.

I am not sure if that helps, but good luck with it anyway.

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Hi Mike,

thanks for your ideas - I'm afraid there is no top.
    Fortunately I am quite experienced in "producing" seals for this old (inched) lady (mostly out of bicycle-tubes, as they are thinner and more exact to be cut). But the existing seal still seems to be in good shape - may be I can maintain it for another 37 years.
    Of course I will use LED in future - 50 % of the additional saloon illumination already is: I use battery lights to avoid wiring chaos and they work fine the third season without changing any battery!

After Saturday I will let you know if I was succesful.

Charlie