Thread: New 1160 lite equipment suggestions that are "must haves"

Default New 1160 lite equipment suggestions that are "must haves"

Hi all 1160 owners.

We will be picking up our new 1160 early next year so keen for some feedback from current 1160 owners as to what you might think are the additional "musthaves" for short term cruising in the Tropics, Asia location,

Any feedback welcome.

so far we have the following list which are ontop of the Base spec & pricing to get the boat cruise worthy,

..freezer, windlass, window shades, gas hot water, BBQ, autopilot,GPS ,, AIS, fans, freshwater wash-down, safety equipment, dingy, outboard,

considering the below as additional

1) no 3 overlapping Genoa with tracks installed, will also later add a screacher, but will source this independently.
    2) water maker
    3) battery AGM upgrade
    4) solar panel upgrades. Total of 800 watt.
    5) battery charger / inverter

Thanks in advance
    Andrew

Default Re: New 1160 lite equipment suggestions that are "must haves"

Hey Andrew,

Did you get your boat? And if you have, same question to you, what are factory "must haves"?

Thanks...

meatservo

Quote Originally Posted by meatservo View Post
    Hey Andrew,

Did you get your boat? And if you have, same question to you, what are factory "must haves"?

Thanks...

meatservo
    Hi Yes, we picked up our boat early Jan, video of the trip here,

http://youtu.be/LAm5EroqjCY

Full review last week at the Singapore boat show here

http://youtu.be/5fxU2MALar8

awesome boat for the money, love it!!!

Must have ,
    bow sprit with code zero & TOP down asym spinnaker
    freezers
    bbq
    hot water gas
    radar
    12 inch chart plotter
    25 Hp engine upgrades
    battery upgrade and extra solar

cheers

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

First of all, thanks so much for posting the videos of Pali Pali! It has been fun watching them (some several times) to get more insight into the Seawind's configuration and performance. We are getting close to a final decision on a cat and your videos have helped keep the 1160 Lite at the top of our list. (Two test sails haven't hurt either. )

I was wondering if you could tell me what items you had factory installed vs installed after delivery. Specifically, nav electronics and aircon. Are you configured to run the aircon only while on shore power or do you have a genset as well? My wife thinks we will need to run AC away from the marina, but I'm not convinced. We'll be keeping the boat on the Chesapeake during the summer and Bahamas in the winter months.

Again, thanks for any feedback/advice/insights on the 1160.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by indimini View Post
    Hi Andrew,

First of all, thanks so much for posting the videos of Pali Pali! It has been fun watching them (some several times) to get more insight into the Seawind's configuration and performance. We are getting close to a final decision on a cat and your videos have helped keep the 1160 Lite at the top of our list. (Two test sails haven't hurt either. )

I was wondering if you could tell me what items you had factory installed vs installed after delivery. Specifically, nav electronics and aircon. Are you configured to run the aircon only while on shore power or do you have a genset as well? My wife thinks we will need to run AC away from the marina, but I'm not convinced. We'll be keeping the boat on the Chesapeake during the summer and Bahamas in the winter months.

Again, thanks for any feedback/advice/insights on the 1160.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Glad to hear you are enjoying the youtube videos on Pali Pali, we are actually about to head off on a 2 week trip this weekend so looking forward to more sailing & specifically more diving this time in the South China Sea and to some of the great remote locations accessible throughout Indonesia.

The Factory install vs after options is a very good question, I think I got most options right but it really depends on how much work you want to do yourself before departing on a cruise.

Having now gone through the process have listed below what I think is best to have the factory install in Vietnam.

For the Air conditioners best option is to request the factory install but ask to have to 2 smaller units rather than the single 18,000 BTU they normally supply.

The models that I installed are the Siosai AMP 12 & AMP 16 (made in Japan), both work really well and enable you to blast 28,000 BTU when at the marina and then just run the 12,000 BTU when at anchor using a portable honda 2000 petrol genset (mainly at night).

During the day we would normally have the trifold doors open to get the breeze through the boat so dont normally use the aircon when sailing. If you have good breezes when at anchor you really dont need the aircon but by splitting the units into smaller BTUs this allows you to have the option to run one unit with the small Petrol Honda Genset .

My philosophy when ordering the boat was to not have a heavy diesel generator onboard and to also not have different types of fuel (Diesel & Petrol) as the Lite only runs with Petrol Outboards, however there are a number of boats now sailing locally who have opted to gowith the diesel gensets and this then allows to run the full aircon any time.

The 1160 has narrow hulls which means you dont have the lagoon style bedding in the aft hulls however the boat sails very very well to windward and off the breeze, just a few minutes ago I was looking at some data posted online on the new Nautitech 46, 19.8 knots Apparent wind at 42 degrees doing 7.5 knots, whereas the 1160 would be fully powered up in the same conditions and doing 9 knots, pointing at 40 degree or slightly higher.

Suggestions for Factory Fit:

Bow Sprit
    Freezers
    air conditioners x 2 , 12000 BTU with soft start boosters so they do not spike on startup
    BBQ
    Inverter & Shore Power and 110 Plugs throughout, and change all of the 12 volt outlets to USB
    Full B&G instrument package, 12 inch chart plotter, Autopilot, TV, Stereo
    Larger sized settee cushions (just check that this is now standard as my vessel was the first to go with these) , makes seating more comfortable
    Water Maker
    washing machine aft stb bunk , (but you can also install in the forward stb yourself) , depends how much work you want to do before cruising.
    Port Helm Seat (I did not do this but may add soon)
    Carbon Wheels (they feel way better when you are hand steering that the SS wheels)
    Gas Hot Water Heater
    Battery AGM upgrade
    Solar Panels (extra 400 Watt), if you dont do this you wont be able to run the freezers (you need a minimum of 800 watts of Solar)
    Main Batten Car upgrade : This will allow you to reef the boat while still sailing down wind, you dont need to round up to reef
    Port Electric Winch upgrade: you need this if you want to solo sail the boat as it makes getting the main up easy. Apart from winching the main the boat is easy to sail single handed, self taking jib and full access to the sheets, very easy in all conditions even when flying the spinnaker or code 0

Buy locally:
    -Screecher or Asymmetric Spinnaker (top down furler) (but have the deck gear for this installed at the factory)
    -Code 0
    -Flat Furling Spinnaker

Bedding, kitchen utensil, RIB, Outboard engine , Safety gear, Life Raft

think that about covers the full list.

enjoy your new boat if you decide to get a seawind and happy sailing

Hey Andrew,

Thanks...

meatservo
    Latest Video on Sailing and Diving on a Seawind 1160 Lite in April 2016

https://youtu.be/px6IYqxUm8Q

Andrew,

What is your impression of the 1190 Sport? Would you have opted for that given the choice?

meatservo

Andrew,

What is your impression of the 1190 Sport? Would you have opted for that given the choice?

meatservo
    Hi, I have not sailed the 1190, however the main differences are:

The 100k price point between the 2 boats is a fairly significant gap for which you get Boards & Lift Up rudders along with a high performance Rig/Sails so you really need to think about what you are going to be doing with the boat and the $ cost of the improved performance.

From an interior point of view they are virtually the same boat except for the dagger board cases. Externally the transoms on the 1190 are now open on the internal side bottom steps which makes boarding from a Dingy much easier, also the transom top aft sections now carries all the way aft which I think looks like a better side profile than the 1160. The newer shape also means you can only board from the transom steps when at dock where as on the 1160 you can board from the steps and the aft sides (2m in from the transoms) easily.

If the 1190 was available when I had purchased the 1160 I probable would have asked to have the 1190 with the 1160 build (i.e. Keels and Spade Rudders) and would not have gone for the faster dagger boards and lift up rudders which are great in pristine ocean waters like Australia or New Zealand but are potential hazards here in Asia where the water is very polluted with large floating objects and plastic debrey, (Its very sad to see the amount of pollution in the South China Seas these days, endless drifting plastic and rubbish) , My opinion is the mini keels and spade rudders are better adapted for remote sailing due to being slightly more robust if you hit a underwater speed bumpů..

All of the above said , if you are considering the 1190 I am sure you will be very happy with the quality of the boat and the performance, some of the comments I have read on the 1190 is that it is very quick around the track and given the 1160 was already a very good upwind sailing boat the 1190 would be even better based on the new boards and rudders.

cheers
    Andrew

Thanks Andrew!

Funny you mention the 1190 w/ 1160 build, I was thinking the same thing! Build an 1190 hull w/ keels. I have been also considering Voyage, Lightwave, Ksysna, and Privilege. Also the 1260 and the 1600. Big disparity/range in price and mission. I posted the same question on the "other forum". No need to respond there.

I genuinely appreciate the comments, good food for thought...

meatservo

Hi Andrew,

We are taking delivery of our 1160 Lite this month down in Miami, so I'm in serious outfitting mode. I was curious to know what size/style dinghy and outboard you went with. If there are any things you can think of that I should be aware of re: dink sizing, please share.

Regards,

indimini (Bob)

Congrats. on the 1160! Keep us in the loop on how you like it. I think Andrew is in the upgrade mode...

meatservo

I just saw Andrew posted the video for SV Pali Pali for sale. I was wondering when you said "upgrade mode" if you meant more toys on the current boat or a different boat.

Bigger boat possibly...

Bigger boat possibly...
    Bigger Seawind supposedly😁

I hope he's getting the 1600! It would be great to see his videos of that vessel.