Thread: External curtains

Default External curtains

I have had a Seawind 1000 since 2003 and love it! I would like to extend the saloon area with new curtains like those fitted to the newer boats. Who makes them and how do I get them please?

Default Re: External curtains

A good quality canvas house will be glad to fabricate you an ENCLOSURE, which is the term you are looking for. Curtains are a completely different thing

Quote Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
    A good quality canvas house will be glad to fabricate you an ENCLOSURE, which is the term you are looking for. Curtains are a completely different thing
    So who do you recommend then?

Where are you, Boatschool?

Docklands , Melbourne

Bit far from the US, so I can't give specific recommendations. I'd have a look round at canvas on other boats near you, judge the quality, and then either look for a label or ask the owner where they had it fabbed.

Enclosure is a custom job - you won't buy this off the shelf, as it were. For best fit, you want the canvasworker on your boat to fit exactly. Boats are handmade things, and they are never identical within a brand nor exactly built.

F'rinstance, my bimini frame is slightly offset, either it's bent or it was fabbed that way. I know this because on the day I patterned the bimini, it was windy so I only did half the pattern/one side, assuming that the other side would be identical. It's not, ha ha...

There are sailmakers etc in Australia that have made this enclosure so why reinvent the wheel? I will get advice closer to home thanks.

Richos Marine Trimmers in Wooloongong did the original canvas work on the boats - give them a call

Quote Originally Posted by Ozmultis View Post
    Richos Marine Trimmers in Wooloongong did the original canvas work on the boats - give them a call
    Thank you Ozmultis, much appreciated. I have now found a trimmer in Melbourne to suit I am building my own fibreglass canopy.