Thread: In the age of the internet ...you should not cheat your customers.

Default In the age of the internet ...you should not cheat your customers.

I have had a very bad experience with Fountaine Pajot's so-called "customer service". The details, complete with photographs, may be found over on the FP owner's board at this: LINK.

I suggest that if you are considering buying a new FP, you should seriously consider what I have found out about FP's so-called "warranty" and "customer service" by my own painful and expensive experience.

Today, in the age of the internet, when potential buyers and existing customers share rapid access to a global, but fairly small community, boat builders will eventually have to learn the hard way that you do NOT rip off your customers the way FP did to me.

-BH

Default Re: In the age of the internet ...you should not cheat your customers.

G'day Brian,
    I can assure you you are not alone when it comes to FP. One friend bought a new 40 ft'er and got osmosis nearly immediately. Took years for FP to do a sort of a fix. Another friend has a 60 ft FP, late 2000's, bought from the original first owner and it has blisters all over it. This is a multimillion dollar boat. FP will not even answer his emails. And have heard of similar horror stories from people in Australia. I can only guess this is a global problem and FP is burying its head in the sand like an ostrich and must think it's easier to cop the bad feed back than fix their boats that they have screwed up. Personally, I would not ever consider one after the problems I've heard of their zero customer service. Maybe the sales team can only speak French? Hope you get your problem sorted and get out of the boat before it sends you broke.
    L&N

Default Re: In the age of the internet ...you should not cheat your customers.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisAndNatasha View Post
    G'day Brian,
    I can assure you you are not alone when it comes to FP. One friend bought a new 40 ft'er and got osmosis nearly immediately. Took years for FP to do a sort of a fix. Another friend has a 60 ft FP, late 2000's, bought from the original first owner and it has blisters all over it. This is a multimillion dollar boat. FP will not even answer his emails. And have heard of similar horror stories from people in Australia. I can only guess this is a global problem and FP is burying its head in the sand like an ostrich and must think it's easier to cop the bad feed back than fix their boats that they have screwed up. Personally, I would not ever consider one after the problems I've heard of their zero customer service. Maybe the sales team can only speak French? Hope you get your problem sorted and get out of the boat before it sends you broke.
    L&N

Thanks for that info. I think people deserve to be warned. FP, for all their size and PR image, is just another bunch of crooks fleecing the dreamers like us. They have basically ruined our plans to go cruising for a couple of years. We put out hearts and souls into this boat and our cruising plan, not to mention tens upon tens of thousands of dollars in addition to the purchase price.

I have no doubt that we can fix this problem. My yard is a very capable bunch headed up by a former builder with extremely high standards when it comes to repair work. Ultimately it will be fine. But the timing of all of this could not be worse. It basically destroys our dream and the plan we have been folding our lives around for the last 5 years. It has blown our departure date, obliterated the only season we had to sail the boat ourselves and because the repair will cost so much, we cannot purchase the other things we had in mind for our boat and living aboard here for the next several years. Winter will be upon us in a few weeks and sailing here here on the Chesapeake Bay in winter is out of the question. And because of the delay, we will not be able to depart and head south when we had planed.

I am considering doing something legal; I have no alternative if I want satisfaction on my warranty claim. But that could take years and FP knows it. Given their customer service history and reputation, they are likely to use every delaying tactic they can think of ...even though their reputation is going to hell right in front of God and everybody. On the grand scale, the catamaran buying community is actually quite small. Word gets around. People talk. We had two friends who separately watched us buy our boat and outfit it. One of them owns a Lagoon right now and wants to move up. The other is new to the catamaran world but really liked our boat. Both couples told us independently that they interested in buying an FP Helia. But after watching our ordeal with FP not honoring their warranty, they will simply not even consider buying anything from FP. Others (like you and I), post on line in forums like this one reaching a global audience. They have already lost two sales ...and I did not do anything to actively discourage them. They simply saw what we are going through.

Others will read about my story and will no doubt do the wise thing and avoid FP altogether.

Bad move FP. In the age of the internet, you should not cheat your customer.

- BH