Thread: Portlight latches

Default Portlight latches

Most of the latches on my ports had become rusty and difficult/impossible to turn. The Goiot website was showing them as being $74 per catch; $150 per window! I found a cheap replacement which fit well. If your hatches look like this....

Then these Beckson latches..... http://www.downwindmarine.com/Beckso...-90892093.html. When fitted look like this.........fitting them is just a matter of sliding the old pins along the track out of the way and dropping the new assembly in. The new pins are slightly smaller so I used a drop of silicone on the top to stop them from lifting back out.

Last edited by Aurora; 21st December 2015 at 03:48 AM.

Default Re: Portlight latches

Well found David. I don't know how many of those Goiot portlight handles I had to replace, I lost count. The brass insert would corrode on the steel thread then the plastic handle would strip and start turning on the brass insert and it was game over. It would happen time and time again.

I've ended up replacing several of them with a 13 mm nut and washer, leaving a wrench nearby. Your solution is much more elegant.

Plus, you won't have to wait 8 months for delivery from Goiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    Most of the latches on my ports had become rusty and difficult/impossible to turn. The Goiot website was showing them as being $74 per catch; $150 per window! I found a cheap replacement which fit well. If your hatches look like this....

Then these Beckson latches..... http://www.downwindmarine.com/Beckso...-90892093.html. When fitted look like this.........fitting them is just a matter of sliding the old pins along the track out of the way and dropping the new assembly in. The new pins are slightly smaller so I used a drop of silicone on the top to stop them from lifting back out.

Thanks, very useful as a few of ours are seized. Wish the pictures worked though...

Quote Originally Posted by rickp View Post
    Thanks, very useful as a few of ours are seized. Wish the pictures worked though...
    Sorry they're upside down.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickp View Post
    Rick... Are you using IE? Photos on this forum never work for me on IE. They work in Chrome and probably other browsers as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
    Rick... Are you using IE? Photos on this forum never work for me on IE. They work in Chrome and probably other browsers as well.
    Using chrome and safari on laptop and iPad! Pics in first post both broken but fine in Aurora's second post. Thanks to Aurora, I'll get some of those latches!

I had to replace about half of mine after I got the boat. I actually found them online for pretty cheap: http://www.seabridge-marine.com/Gebo...3_9843676.aspx . Shipped from the UK to the US in a reasonable amount of time.

I do like your solution though of using those cam latches. Kind of sick of spinning and spinning the silly knobs!

So we're doing this now with the Beckson cams, and they seem a little less secure once clicked over - you've not had any leaks?

How have you found the silicon over time - has that held the pins in place ok? Don't want any hamfisted user to lose one overboard when they open a hatch...

I've not had any leaks; obviously you can tighten them up as much as suits.

I actually ended up putting a small blob of epoxy putty over the top of the catches to stop them lifting up. (The kind you get in a tube and knead it together). It only takes 15 minutes before it starts to harden and while it was doing so, I turned the pin every few minutes just to make sure the pin didn't get glued in place. I agree that it's not perfect but it works well and is a whole lot cheaper than replacing with Goiot.

For those that haven't tried, the epoxy (or silicon) is not for any strength purposes, it's just that the cross pin is a little smaller and in the unlikely event that it is bumped when the hatch is open, it can lift up and drop out.

Once again, thanks very much - good plan with the putty, we'll probably do the same. It looks like the new pins would be a bit weak if I drilled the hole to take the existing Goiot retainers (which actually came out pretty easily - I was quite suprised by that).