Thread: "WHY NOT?" from Balkan Shipyards

Default "WHY NOT?" from Balkan Shipyards

Our latest vessel WHY NOT? built in 5 days, he's so cool.....
    no rudder, but you can go anywhere you want, watch me steer by balancing CE and CLR. works like a dream.
    It's true proas don't need rudders and the lateen is very power full off wind, to windward it aint half bad ether.
    THIS BOAT IS A THROE AWAY! so I built it from scratch in 5 days with very little money....
    and he's just so cooooooooooooooooooool......

all d best, from Balkan Shipyards.
    https://youtu.be/ZEB61zqqfns

Default Re: "WHY NOT?" from Balkan Shipyards

Rael, you are mad..... fantastic boat and 5 day build time is incredible.

Thanks Peter, I guess it all depends on the fun factor....
    I enjoyed slapping him together so much, that I couldn't stop, coming home at 2 AM also just became part of the game....
    I was just on fire.........

Rael, it sounds as though you really enjoyed Bournemouth and came back fully energised. Either that or you came back so frustrated that you had to do something and that bit of fun seems to be it. It is a shame that your video does not show you tacking to windward, that would have been interesting :-) :-)

Cheers, Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Quote Originally Posted by dmmbruce View Post
    Rael, it sounds as though you really enjoyed Bournemouth and came back fully energised. Either that or you came back so frustrated that you had to do something and that bit of fun seems to be it. It is a shame that your video does not show you tacking to windward, that would have been interesting :-) :-)

Cheers, Mike
    Hi Mike, as for Bournemouth, probably a bit of both.......
    As for WHY NOT? It all started when I heard a weather report that will be record breaking, "next Wednesday 19 degrees!!!"
    It was a week before. I decided to build him, when I noticed that every bit I needed I had (most pieces were even cut to size..) I understood we're on.
    Friday morning I started, on Wednesday at 14:00 he was loaded on the car (I lost half a day on boo boos here and there, so should have been done in the morning....) now a 70 km drive through the Balkan Mountains brought us to Lake Jerebchevo (or something like that...), then I had to get stuck in deep mud, then a guy near by pulled me out... then we drove round till we found a better spot..... then off the car, now lash him all up....... I did have too much on my plate!!!!
    But i managed to get him in the water Wednesday!!! Yes but time was not on my side..... I maybe sailed him for an hour..... I came out it was almost dark.
    Bottom line, meeting your goals always tastes good.
    Soon we go back, and we film shunting and all, on the wind, off the wind.... this boat really works. HE ONLY REALLY, REALLY NEEDS A LEE BOARD!!! So we will put one on, then I will slap on a couple coats of old Acrylic primer and he's done.

Take care Mike.
    Rael.