Thread: Escape Hatches No Longer Open - Ideas?

Default Escape Hatches No Longer Open - Ideas?

Hi All,

First year with our 2004 P435, and we have her on the hard for the first time. Just checking all of our equipment while it is out, and both of our escape hatches are frozen. The latches won't turn (much).

Anyone else have this issue? I also don't know how much force those springs have on them if they open. My fear is if I actually get it open, the hatches are meant to be opened underwater, and will explode into a million pieces with the force of the springs.

Anyone have any knowledge of these hatches?

Thanks and looking forward to the season!

Default Re: Escape Hatches No Longer Open - Ideas?

Most owners leave those hatches shut and never open them. I never opened mine because I thought that if I did then they might leak afterwards. When they eventually started to let in a very small amount of water I did open them but it needed a hammer against a small length of pipe to get them to move. They didn't spring open and they didn't break.

I too had this problem with my escape hatches. Whilst on the hard, I used a lever to force open the handles. Using copious amounts of WD40 I gradually moved the hatches back and forth until they became loose. I agree that it seemed to be an inordinate amount of force necessary to move them but the hatches never seemed to be in danger of twisting or breaking the glass. I grease them once a year and the hatches have remained free.

Perfect! Thanks for the help! I'm going to attempt to get them free this weekend. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by sail2371 View Post
    Perfect! Thanks for the help! I'm going to attempt to get them free this weekend. Much appreciated.
    The hatches were very difficult to open, but using Aurora's technique I was able to free them. The hard part remains getting the latches open, and I have to use a crescent wrench to turn the latch levers. When on the hard I open them up and work the hatch to keep them free. I also apply silicon grease to the gaskets to keep them supple.

Good luck
    Pat