Thread: Refridgeration

Default Refridgeration

So how are folks doing with the Frigoboat/Veco keel cooled systems? We're about to change to a pumped water system as we've heard of a few having issues with the keel coolers as time progresses, plus for various reasons, some cooling on the hard would be useful for us.

Anyone done any insulation upgrades? Or found replacement seals for the doors? We certainly need new door seals and I suspect the insulation could do with being improved buts its a sod of a job!

Default Re: Refridgeration

Our compressor for our fridge has a big leak, and the freezer has a slow one. The guy we had out to look said that the frigoboats always have problems and just aren't worth the premium that they charge. He recommended just replacing the fridge with an all in one unit (built in compressor). I think I'm just going to replace the compressor on mine anyway. I don't really want to lose the fridge space of having the all in one unit. The silly compressors are not cheap, but our repair man said it would probably cost almost as much for him to trace and plug the leak as to get a new compressor entirely.

Our fridge wasn't working in 2014 and we used it as an ice box. In 2015 we had the frigoboat dealer in Norfolk, VA work on it. There was a 'O' ring leaking on the quick disconnect and it had been over charged. It may also have had moisture in it, not sure. Anyway the frigoboat tech worked on it replacing the 'O' ring and refrigerant, ran and tested it for a day or two while we were gone. The dealer stated that overcharging the system is common and the I've seen other comments regarding failure of the 'O' rings. We started it up when we returned and it has ran perfectly since. In fact we need to turn it down as it is freezing some items. As for door seals I took 3/4" x 12" foam weather stripping and applied it nest to the original seal. I also pulled the refrig out enough so I could adjust the hinges so the door fit the door tightly on both sides and top and bottom. It now passes the dollar bill pull test all the way around the door. I have to agree with rickp, adding additional insulation looks to be a pain. More information can be found on the Cruisers Forum - http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...lmann-831.html or by searching the web "DIY Smart Non Destructive Refrigeration Knowledge".

Yes - the O-Rings seem to fail (get coooked?) on those connects but at least you can change them on the frigoboat stuff. Richard Kollmann has a real downer on the frigoboat stuff, as do most techs I've spoken too. Dryer in the wrong place, keel coolers passing heat between from the input side to the output side as they are very close together etc. etc.
    Thanks for the tip on door seals, that obvious technique hadn't occurred to me
    When you said you took the 'refrig out' do you mean you pulled the stainless carcass out? That looks a nightmare given the pipework for our gangway fridge passes through the freezer from top to bottom!

I'm knocking on wood as it is working good as is the freezer. I did put the weather stripping around both doors.
    I only pulled the frig out a couple of inches so I could adjust the top hinge. I also replaced the nylon spacers in the hinges. Also have to be careful not to pinch the drain hose when pushing it back in.
    Adding the pump speed controller is on my wish list.

Sounds like yours is a different setup to mine... I'll try and post photos tomorrow, but mine look like custom stainless carcass built into the cabinetry....

We took out the refrigerator and replaced it with a Nova Kool. I had to widen the hole about a quarter of an inch and had to cut back, about a half inch, the galley counter brace over the unit. It has worked very well. The Frigoboat freezer is working well.

I have a fridge and a freezer using the keel cool frigoboat system. The freezer was a new unit with an external compressor (much more room inside freezer!) the fridge had to have a replacement keel bit as the previous one had de-zincked (no separate anode).
    After a few months I had to have the engineer out as the fridge was no longer cooling - bad O Ring. and the freezer was working hard and freezing all the lines - this turned out to be an over-filled system.
    Since then - no problems all ticking along happily.
    I have just hauled after 3 years afloat and the double anodes in the keel units were still perfectly fine. (Unit is close to a very large external anode installed recently to protect the saildrive anodes).

I was out of the water for a couple of hot days (or what passes for hot in UK) but the compressors I have fitted have air cooled fans which I can operate when needed during periods out of the water but they do use a lot more power than just the keel units.
    Insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results

We have a frigoboat system with a refrigerator and freezer. I refer to it as keel cooled although it works by pumping seawater in via a through hull, circulating it around the twin compressors and then this seawater exits via another through hull just above the waterline. Is this the usual frigoboat set up? It came with the boat we bought.

The refrigerator gradually stopped cooling a few months ago but as we weren't using the freezer to keep food frozen we just use it as a refrigerator instead. Recently it has started to struggle to maintain even refrigerator temperatures. Is this likely to be an O ring problem or refrigerant issue or both? I can do most things but refrigeration has always baffled me. I guess its time to start learning

That is the usual Frigoboat/ Privilege setup. I went to the trouble of buying the gauges and a few cans of refrigerant but could never work them as well as trained engineers. Impossible to diagnose your problem without plugging gauges into the system. Go find an engineer!

I don't know where you are in the world but, when I needed parts, Penguin Refrigeration http://www.penguinfrigo.co.uk/ in the UK were far cheaper than going to Privilege.

Hmm I thought the 'usual' Privilege setup was the keelcoolers, not the pumped system that 2whitehulls is talking about?

In the end, we've stuck with the keelcoolers. I increased the compressor on the freeer from a BD35 to a BD50 and so far, so good.

Home port Chesapeake Bay; Cruising full time.

Quote Originally Posted by 2whitehulls View Post
    We have a frigoboat system with a refrigerator and freezer. I refer to it as keel cooled although it works by pumping seawater in via a through hull, circulating it around the twin compressors and then this seawater exits via another through hull just above the waterline. Is this the usual frigoboat set up?
    That's not the usual Frigoboat system I'm familiar with. The typical system passes the refrigerant through the external hull mounted heat exchanger (keel cooler) to provide the heat sink for the refrigeration process. Alternatives are to use a secondary cooling seawater loop to an in-board heat exchanger or use air cooling as a heat sink via forced air like a household refrigerator. Both water cooling and air cooling require a second "coolant pumping" function that increases the energy requirements for the whole system. This is one reason why Frigoboat systems are generally more energy efficient. It's plausible that a "Frigoboat" system has been installed that uses a secondary water or air loop for the heat sink, but the rest is from typical Frigoboat components, which are essentially generic items. E.g., many refrigeration systems use garden variety Danfoss compressors.

I have two vintage 2001 Frigoboat systems on my boat and they are pretty bullet proof <knock, knock>. That said, two must-do fixes are: 1) have the system properly charged by yourself or a refrigeration geek with the patience to very thoroughly evacuate the system prior to charging, and 2) install dryers in the refrigerant lines to collect residual moisture that can collect and freeze in the capillary tubes. (Actually, do this in reverse order.) I had this done on my boat in 2009 and both systems have performed flawlessly since. Of course, the other important attribute is to have good insulation on your boxes. This is totally independent from the refrigeration mechanics and poor insulation just exacerbates any weaknesses and/or inefficiencies in the mechanical system due to placing increased demands on it.

The only benefits of a stand-alone air cooled unit are the relatively lower initial expense and the ability to run the units on the hard. They typically have thin walled insulation and the heat sink is the atmosphere inside the boat. Maybe a slight benefit in cold climates.

When on the hard and my keel cooler units cannot be used, I bring an AC powered, dorm style refrigerator aboard (as well as a household window air conditioner unit.)

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by rickp View Post
    Hmm I thought the 'usual' Privilege setup was the keelcoolers, not the pumped system that 2whitehulls is talking about?

In the end, we've stuck with the keelcoolers. I increased the compressor on the freeer from a BD35 to a BD50 and so far, so good.
    What was I thinking, of course you are right Rick!. Sounds like the OP is describing the saloon air conditioning circuit which enters and exits close to the refrigeration keel cooling setup.

Whilst we're on the subject of refridgeration - anyone know the OEM of the fridge/freezer door hinges and handles/locks?

Don't know who makes the original parts but I used to get my replacement handles from http://www.penguinfrigo.co.uk/ I had to replace the handle on my freezer many, many times and Penguin delivered them at reasonable prices (maybe 25% of Alliaura's price) wherever I was in the world.

Not anymore it seems, Penguin Frigo don't recognise them.

Not sure which handle you are looking for but try this link: http://www.penguinfrigo.co.uk/shop/product/674/ At the Penguin go to: Our Products, Marine, Spares and Accessories, Frigoboat MS Cabinets, and scroll down. The last one is:

Hope this helps.

Our handles still work, most of the time, but are highly pitted.

My question is has anyone tried to replace the 'L' angle handle mounting bracket and mounted a more common handle (read cheaper) from a different vendor?

Those handles are nothing like mine. I'll try and post a photo when I'm better connected...

Quote Originally Posted by rickp View Post
    Those handles are nothing like mine. I'll try and post a photo when I'm better connected...
    They look like mine. Maybe the previous owner of your boat got fed up having to replace them and fitted an alternative.

Looks like Frigoboat finally updated the design... http://www.penguinfrigo.co.uk/shop/product/450/ . Not before time!