Thread: Large fixed windows for Lagoon TPI 37?

Default Large fixed windows for Lagoon TPI 37?

Does anyone know a source that could make these windows? Looking at a boat with horrible crazing on the main large windows.

Default Re: Large fixed windows for Lagoon TPI 37?

If its crazed, is it lexan? You probably want to use PMMA for the replacement rather than a polycarbonate material - and definitely do not use the usual sikaflex to secure them as that promotes outgassing and crazing. You'll need to use the one with a barrier (295+209 I think) or something else rated for PMMA. I've heard its hard to get PMMA in the US though (only hearsay though, not tried to locate it myself).

Sorry, not much help really

Quote Originally Posted by islandgirl View Post
    Does anyone know a source that could make these windows? Looking at a boat with horrible crazing on the main large windows.
    You can make your own but it is a long tedious process. Use cold cast acrylic and silicone based adhesive.

We do. West Palm Beach

Home port Chesapeake Bay; Cruising full time.

I'll share a few notes of knowledge that Catana owners have accumulated over many years regarding leaking and crazing windows - which we have in abundance. Our windows were originally acrylic and multiple owners have considered other materials for replacements, but acrylic is almost always the final choice. Lexan is tougher, but scratches much easier and in the thickness on our boats (12mm) extra toughness is not considered necessary. Acrylic is readily available and most any decent plastics shop can copy removed windows, albeit copying curved windows gets complicated and expensive.

On our boats, crazing is limited to those installations when flat windows have been flexed into a curved frame. Windows thermo-formed to match curved frames seem to be almost entirely immune from crazing. The thermo-forming provides stress relief and no further stresses are introduced when bedding the windows.

Sikaflex 295UV has successfully been used to rebed many windows (I have used it myself - without subsequent crazing) but more recently Catana owners have switched to using GE SCS2000 aka Silpruf. This is a structural silicone and is much easier to use than Sika and is cheaper to boot. I have also used this successfully. Silpruf is also much more UV tolerant vs Sika to the extent that the opaque paint band seen around the perimeter of most glazed-in windows - to shield the adhesive from UV - is not needed.

I hope this helps.

Dave

This Catana owner uses Dow 795, based on research and recommendations from professionals in the field.

Here are links to some tips:
    https://hatchmasters.com/tonys-blog/

Video for small portlights. Butyl tape/VHB will work for smaller window installs, but you need a taller space between the window and the substrate for large windows to allow for expansion. I haven't found any VHB in sufficient thickness for large windows, but if it existed I'd use it.
    Nevertheless the vid is good info:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQyjxVUskd8