Thread: 1975 Solaris

Smile 1975 Solaris

Hello everyone,

I'm seriously looking at a 1975 Solaris. Any comments on what I should look for in the survey and sea trial?

One of the challenges in us buying a multihull is the headroom. I'm 6'3, so most of the regular Fountaine Pajots and similar brands were ruled out.
    Any newer larger catamarans are beyond our current financial means.

So, the Solaris looks good and I can fit in it.

Any experience and feedback you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Andrew

Default Re: 1975 Solaris

A Lagoon 380' should be fine for a 6'3" (Which is what I am). It was fine height wise when I looked at a couple of them.

That's obtainable for a fairly decent price now for a 2000/2001 model.

Regards

Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy.Tarr View Post
    Hello everyone,

I'm seriously looking at a 1975 Solaris. Any comments on what I should look for in the survey and sea trial?

One of the challenges in us buying a multihull is the headroom. I'm 6'3, so most of the regular Fountaine Pajots and similar brands were ruled out.
    Any newer larger catamarans are beyond our current financial means.

So, the Solaris looks good and I can fit in it.

Any experience and feedback you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Andrew
    Head room is sometimes a problem on the bridge deck but rarely in the hulls so consider a boat with a galley down. Without the need to stand in the galley on the bridge deck it will cease to be an issue.

Thanks Catapault / Peter.

The Solaris is a 52 foot model. It's galley down, although I can happily stand in the saloon.

The hull is foam cored and the decks balsa cored, although both seem heavily glassed and very solid.

I'm just wondering about my logic behind buying such an old boat... I do really like it though....:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy.Tarr View Post
    Thanks Catapault / Peter.

The Solaris is a 52 foot model. It's galley down, although I can happily stand in the saloon.
    Didn't know they made a 52 footer.

Am i seeing things, or is that a BATH on a cat.....

I actually like the old style wood finish, much like older monohulls. Does look 'homely'.

But I believe in realestate, they call that an "Origional Kitchen" !.

Get a really good survey to know what your getting into at least. I'd imagine it is in need of quite a bit of work, and will have significant ongoing maintenance.

Really depends on your intended use.

G/L !

Thanks!! :-) Umm...yep, it's a bath ....

It definitely need work, but I think the price we've negotiated reflects that.

Intended use is cruising in the South Pacific over the next few years.

Just wondering if there is anyone who knows these boat designs well and can advise on any major problems to be aware of. i.e. The front falls off...

Is that a bar with 4 spirits dispensers?? Will need some serious provisioning before cruising!
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's a vessel with character.....

I know this boat a little, saw it sitting somewhat around 2011 on the hard in Whangarei NZ in the Norsand boatyard. The 53 is somewhat an extended 42. They are built quite strong, but have one issue which makes them in my opinion a bit problematic for blue water cruising: very low bridge deck clearance. I think fully loaded with water fuel and cruising gear this boat has 15 to 20cm of clearance between the hulls! Hence sadly the seas will splash, slam and explode heavily even on beam reach. I have sailed such cats with low clearance and sometimes it feels like a bomb exploding under your feet ....... the Solaris 42 even touches the water permanently between the hulls, I think the designers had some concepts about improving the windward capabilities and surfing. I can give no advise, but for me personally I would always look at healthy bridge clearance before purchasing. However used as a *housy* with full bath at a marina looks comfy but still then water may splash at times when things get daisy.
    Last edited by offcoaster; 20th May 2016 at 08:21 PM.

Hi Offcoaster. Thanks for the reply. It's sad, but I agree. After looking carefully and surveying her, we decided to look elsewhere. We will continue the search for a safe blue water capable boat.