Thread: Lipari 41 Evolution - issues

Default Lipari 41 Evolution - issues

Hello,

In June 2015, I bought a Lipari 41 Evolution and since the beginning I incurred in many issues.

I will start with the most important one :-(. The GARMIN autopilot has been checked and calibrated 3-4 times, but after almost an year it is still "zigzaging" +/-15 degrees (15 port then 15 starboard again and again) and after a while it looses the track and becomes completely crazy!

Can someone help?

Roberto

Default Re: Lipari 41 Evolution - issues

This is really a Garmin issue and would have been better placed in the main forum. I will transfer it there f you wish.

Sound to me as if the problem may be the location of the electronic compass (fluxgate compass) - where is it placed?

Our not went totally mad because of a poor placement. That is the very first thing I would check.
    Safe Sailing
    Paul
    Blog: www.suliere.com

I have added it to this section as it looks like that I am not the only Lipari owner to have this issue. Please, feel free to move it and to change the subject...

The french company that did the installation and the FP agent have "calibrated it at least 3 times" and I was told that all was ok-normal.

I have been discussed about the issues with many skippers and I got comments like: "the Garmin firmware has a problem", "the steering linear device is inappropriate", "the rudder is too small", "steering all the time make you a better captain :-)", "all Lipari have the same issue", etc.

Two weeks ago, I have decided to try to calibrate the compass myself and I got a "succeed", but at the end the information on the GHC display was 45į off from the GPS COG. So, I guess you are right, there must be an issue with the location or something interfere with the electronic compass. I am going to check.
    I attach some extra info...

Attached Images Attached Images

The fluxgate location near wires, motors etc is critical and the first thing to check.
    Calibration is meaningless if the position of the fluxgate is wrong.

On our newly installed system we had the autopilot go crazy when we started the microwave 0 they had out it right under the alternaor cables so asa soon as current was drawn the fluxgate went crazy.

I am surprised that this was not the first thing checked.
    Safe Sailing
    Paul
    Blog: www.suliere.com

Home port Chesapeake Bay; Cruising full time.

Ditto on the flux gate. Our non-Garmin was fine until one day it went crazy. Turns out the Admiral had stowed the drink blender in a storage space directly on the other side of the bulkhead where the compass was installed. I would never have done that. Honest. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Dave

We had Raymarine fitted to our Lipari Evolution and have had no problems with the autopilot at all. Steers better that I ever could. I even turn the sensitivity down from 5 to 2 and it still does a very good job even in a following sea. Only time I have re-calibrated was after one of the Raymarine software upgrades and it said in the install instructions that I would need to recalibrate. This looks more a Garmin problem rather than a Lipari issue

Hello,

The problem is now almost solved!
    The issue was due to the CCU positioned nearby the fridge compressor.

The Caribbean FP dealer in St. Martin was very helpful analyzing the issue, but unfortunately they had no CCU-ECU extension cable.
    They just moved the CCU in a better position and all started to work pretty well.
    GARMIN was very collaborative and sent us all info needed (partNo, price, etc).

In a perfect world:
    1) FP should drop the French Pochon company (FP give them the electronic works). As: they have caused the issue, they have never answered the emails and their drawing were wrong.
    2) FP should provide the owner with the complete documentation, access to catalogs and provide spares directly. Going through the agent that sold you the boat doesn't work at all (not interested, and the boat may be 1000 miles away)!.
    3) FP & Pochon should pay the hours (days and nights) my crew and I have passed at the helm during the Atlantic crossing!

As today, would I buy another FP? If I don't get 1) 2) and 3) no way!

The Word is Not Perfect but FP doesnít try to be perfect.
    They want to make quick money for the investors.
    As french, Iím sorry for that.
    Would you join the FPBA (Fountaine Pajot Boaters Association) ?
    Have a good day,
    philippe.malapert@gmail.com